inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Goodbye to Soap/Who's The Boss actress Katherine Helmond

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/01/19 at 4:20 pm

Just learned Katherine Helmond passed away at 89.

She starred on Soap and Who's The Boss - sad to say goodbye!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/katherine-helmond-boss-soap-star-184321685.html

R.I.P. Katherine Helmond

Subject: Re: Goodbye to Soap/Who's The Boss actress Katherine Helmond

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/19 at 4:26 pm

So sad. I loved her both as Jessica & as Mona. The characters were so different from each other which showed the range of her acting ability. 

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/01/19 at 7:02 pm

All of these mid-century stars are going one after the other it seems. "Soap" was another of those shows like "All In The Family" that broke all kinds of barriers. There couldn't be anything like it in today's repressive politically correct world. I don't know why. It just seems so counter-intuitive. Shows like "All In The Family" and "Soap" used the time tested genre of social satire to expose the injustices of society. But in today's culture where everyone is a victim all the little snowflakes would be offended by such material. I recall a particularly funny line from "Soap". Billy Crystal played one of TV's first LGBT (although it wasn't called that then) characters. Back then a common term was to refer to someone as a "practicing homosexual". So somebody says to the Billy Crystal character in an accusing tone "are you a practicing homosexual?". He replied "I don't have to practice, I'm very good at it".  ;D

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/01/19 at 11:12 pm

A brand new life.

She was also Debra's mother on Everybody Loves Raymond.

RIP.  :\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/01/19 at 11:24 pm

The four main actors in Soap are now all gone: Richard Mulligan, Cathryn Damon, Robert Mandan and now Katherine Helmond. RIP, all of them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/19 at 12:44 pm

All of these mid-century stars are going one after the other it seems. "Soap" was another of those shows like "All In The Family" that broke all kinds of barriers. There couldn't be anything like it in today's repressive politically correct world. I don't know why. It just seems so counter-intuitive. Shows like "All In The Family" and "Soap" used the time tested genre of social satire to expose the injustices of society. But in today's culture where everyone is a victim all the little snowflakes would be offended by such material. I recall a particularly funny line from "Soap". Billy Crystal played one of TV's first LGBT (although it wasn't called that then) characters. Back then a common term was to refer to someone as a "practicing homosexual". So somebody says to the Billy Crystal character in an accusing tone "are you a practicing homosexual?". He replied "I don't have to practice, I'm very good at it".  ;D

Going off on a tangent here: Chuck & Bob always cracked me up. I remember I think it was Jodie (Billy Crystal's character), who put Bob in the refrigerator. Chuck came in looking so disorientated. Someone went into the refridge and found Bob in there. As they were walking out of the room, Bob said to Chuck, "Did you know the light stays on in there?" which was the old question about the refrigerator light. (Though, I don't think anyone under 40 would get that joke.)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/02/19 at 2:33 pm

Just learned Katherine Helmond passed away at 89.

She starred on Soap and Who's The Boss - sad to say goodbye!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/katherine-helmond-boss-soap-star-184321685.html

R.I.P. Katherine Helmond

R.I.P. Katherine Helmond, I knew her from Who's The Boss.  :\'(

Written By: Dude111 on 03/03/19 at 1:23 am

Very sad........

Written By: nally on 03/03/19 at 1:58 pm

The four main actors in Soap are now all gone: Richard Mulligan, Cathryn Damon, Robert Mandan and now Katherine Helmond. RIP, all of them.

Very sad........

Indeed. :\'( :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/03/19 at 3:42 pm

If her costar had visited her on her death bed, Katherine likely would have exclaimed "Hold me closer, Tony Danza".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/19 at 3:50 pm

If her costar had visited her on her death bed, Katherine likely would have exclaimed "Hold me closer, Tony Danza".

Nice plug for the book!  ;D ;D ;D ;D  (BTW, I got my autographed copy.)

Cat

Written By: Dude111 on 03/11/19 at 4:49 am

Very sad :(

Check for new replies or respond here...