inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actress Doris Day dies aged 97

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/19 at 8:14 am

Hollywood star Doris Day, whose films made her one of the biggest female stars of all time, has died aged 97. The singer turned actress enjoyed success in such films as Calamity Jane and Pillow Talk and had a hit in 1956 with Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be). Her screen partnership with Rock Hudson was one of the biggest box-office draws of the 1950s and '60s.

R.I.P. Doris Day  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Subject: Re: Actress Doris Day dies aged 97

Written By: nally on 05/13/19 at 11:01 am

Just saw the headline. R.I.P. Doris; you had quite a career. :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/19 at 11:57 am

Oh no - another icon of my youth, gone.  Sad to hear  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Doris Day

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/19 at 12:01 pm

I have always like her song "Que Sera Sera", which received the 1956 Academy Award for Best Original Song with the alternative title "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Será, Será)"

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/19 at 4:55 pm

This is tragic. How did she die? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/19 at 4:58 pm

This is tragic. How did she die? ???
To quote the BBC, "It said she had been "in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia".", but nothing has been disclosed as yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/19 at 5:39 pm

Mike Nicholls want Doris Day to play Mrs Robinson in "The Graduate", but at that time she was living an a recluse, and was caring for animals.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/13/19 at 5:59 pm

I didn't know who she was so I googled her. How sad.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/19 at 6:55 pm

My step-father worked with her when they were both with Les Brown.

Cat

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/13/19 at 7:02 pm

Time to say a sad farewell to one of the last true Hollywood legends. At least we'll have her movies and songs to always entertain us...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/19 at 8:29 pm

Time to say a sad farewell to one of the last true Hollywood legends. At least we'll have her movies and songs to always entertain us...

She also had a prime time TV show "The Doris Day Show", a sitcom, from 1968-1973. Truth be told, it never really grabbed me and I seldom watched it. It went through multiple format changes in it's five seasons and could never really decide if it wanted to be "Here's Lucy", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" or even "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir".  I don't recall it ever really being that successful of a show either, and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It basically ran on the power of her name. McLean Stevenson had a recurring role before he went on to far bigger fame in M*A*S*H. Rose Marie, formerly of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" was also a co-star for a few seasons.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/19 at 9:46 pm

She also had a prime time TV show "The Doris Day Show", a sitcom, from 1968-1973. Truth be told, it never really grabbed me and I seldom watched it. It went through multiple format changes in it's five seasons and could never really decide if it wanted to be "Here's Lucy", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" or even "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir".  I don't recall it ever really being that successful of a show either, and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It basically ran on the power of her name. McLean Stevenson had a recurring role before he went on to far bigger fame in M*A*S*H. Rose Marie, formerly of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" was also a co-star for a few seasons.

McLean Stevenson did his best work in Hello, Larry.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/19 at 7:13 am

Hollywood star Doris Day, whose films made her one of the biggest female stars of all time, has died aged 97. The singer turned actress enjoyed success in such films as Calamity Jane and Pillow Talk and had a hit in 1956 with Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be). Her screen partnership with Rock Hudson was one of the biggest box-office draws of the 1950s and '60s.

R.I.P. Doris Day  :\'( :\'( :\'(

R.I.P. Doris Day. :(

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/14/19 at 4:07 pm

We were just watching some of her romantic movies with Rock Hudson on DVD. She did live a good, long life. Sad, however. RIP,  Ms. Day. :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/19 at 6:30 pm

We were just watching some of her romantic movies with Rock Hudson on DVD. She did live a good, long life. Sad, however. RIP,  Ms. Day. :\'(

I wonder if she knew of Rock’s alternative lifestyle back then?

Check for new replies or respond here...