inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Charles Martoni (The Masked Marvel) Pinned for Last Time

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/19 at 3:53 pm

Legendary “Studio Wrestling” great, Charles Martoni, who went by the ring name of “The Masked Marvel”  8), has left the ring at the age of 82.

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/long-time-allegheny-county-councilman-former-pro-wrestler-charles-martoni-dies/

Charles was currently an Allegheny County councilman here in the Picksburgh area. In the article he is eulogized by fellow wrestler “Jumpin” Johnny DeFazio, who is the current President of the county council. Here in Western Pennsylvania our politics are definitely rough and tumble.  ;)

Charles grappled with all the big boys... George “The Animal” Steele... Haystacks Calhoun... Domenic Denucci (and his dreaded airplane spin maneuver), and... of course... the late, great Bruno Sammartino.  8)

Every Saturday, me and my buddies would tune in to WIIC-TV to watch all the wrestling action. Calling the proceedings were “Chilly Billy” Cardille (later of horror movie emcee fame) and Picksburgh Pirate hall of famer, Pie Traynor, who during intermission hawked the services of a local heating and ventilation contractor.  In the stands every week was Ringside Rosie, (real name: Anna Buckalew) who would cheer for the good guys and shake her rubber chicken at the cads.  ;D

R.I.P., Masked Marvel. :\'(. Thanks for the entertainment and the memories. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...