inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: “Poor Little Rich Girl” and Jeans Queen Gloria Vanderbilt

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/19 at 1:34 pm

Celebrated heiress to the Cornelius Vanderbilt fortune, and 1980s designer jean mogul Gloria Vanderbilt, has passed away at the age of 95 from stomach cancer. She was also famous as the mother of CNN’s  Anderson Cooper.

Subject: Re: “Poor Little Rich Girl” and Jeans Queen Gloria Vanderbilt

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/17/19 at 1:54 pm

Paul McCartney & Wings
"Mrs. Vanderbilt"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIh6UdXTBFs

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/17/19 at 4:41 pm

My mother's best friend & my step-father's SIL both worked for the Park Service in Hyde Park, NY. Both of them dragged my mother & step-father to a New Year's Eve party at the Vanderbilt mansion one year. That is where they met. 6 months later,they married. Whenever we went to the Vanderbilt mansion or FDR's home (also in Hyde Park), we got the VIP treatment. "Oh, you are the couple that got married." We got to see parts of both homes that most people don't get to see.

On of the tour guide once told us that one time she was giving a tour and who was in that tour was Gloria herself. The guide said that Gloria basically took over the tour. In the foyer there is a big hole in the ceiling that you can look down from the second floor. Gloria said that when she was a little girl, she would use a fishing pole to hook one of her aunts(?)'s wig.

https://i0.wp.com/www.moderndaytripper.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/20180424_103820-1024x576.jpg?resize=697%2C392

The also turned the old Vanderbilt stables into a theatre where my mother worked. She worked in the box office which was the old bell tower. My mother also joked about having bats in the belfry-which there were. One time she was in the house and she heard one playgoer saying to another, "Oh look. There is a bird." My mother thought, "Um, that is NOT a bird."

I remember one time it was raining like the Dickens and the roof was leaking big time. There were buckets on many of the seats catching the rain. On stage was William Shatner (yes, THAT William Shatner). The scene was this woman was supposed to come to his apartment. When he opened the door, she was standing there with an umbrella. Shatner started trying to dry her off. The audience laughed because they all knew that wasn't part of the script. 

Unfortunately, the theatre/stables burnt to the ground.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/18/19 at 7:40 am

Celebrated heiress to the Cornelius Vanderbilt fortune, and 1980s designer jean mogul Gloria Vanderbilt, has passed away at the age of 95 from stomach cancer. She was also famous as the mother of CNN’s  Anderson Cooper.

R.I.P Gloria Vanderbilt.  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/20/19 at 7:01 pm

Sad!  I donned many a jeans pair with her name on it  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Gloria Vanderbilt

Written By: nally on 06/20/19 at 7:03 pm

R.I.P Gloria Vanderbilt.  :\'(

Agreed. :\'(

I actually was unaware that CNN newsman Anderson Cooper was her son!

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/19 at 8:38 pm

I wonder if the Gloria Vanderbilt blue jeans brand will continue.  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/19 at 12:30 pm

I wonder if the Gloria Vanderbilt blue jeans brand will continue.  ???

I hope so. I always have at least ONE pair (black) because they fit so good and I love they look.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/19 at 5:35 am

Gloria’s will was just made public.

Her oldest son, Leopold “Stan” Stokowski, got her Manhattan co-op pad.
Anderson Cooper got the rest of her vast estate. 8)
Her other son, Chris Stokowski, got jack. :o

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-anderson-cooper-gloria-vanderbilt-inheritance-20190702-story.html

Check for new replies or respond here...