inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Light Up a Smoke for Bob Norris

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/09/19 at 8:18 pm

Legendary cowboy and cigarette promoter Bob Norris has passed away at the age of 90. :\'(  He was the  Marlboro Man.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/11/09/us/robert-norris-marlboro-man-death-trnd/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DNorris

Norris hawked Marlboros for 14 years. This was back in the day when men were men and real cowboys smoked like a coal fired power plant.  8)

Curiously, in real life, Norris never smoked.  ???

Subject: Re: Light Up a Smoke for Bob Norris

Written By: nally on 11/09/19 at 8:37 pm

Wow. I never would've thought that. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/19 at 3:37 am

One wonders did he know that cigarettes are harmful?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/10/19 at 5:47 am

The irony of the Marlboro Man is that he was pitching a filtered cig that was originally designed for, and marketed to, women.  ;D

Back in my day, real men smoked Pall Mall unfiltered. Next best thing to inhaling an ignited match.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/19 at 5:54 am

The irony of the Marlboro Man is that he was pitching a filtered cig that was originally designed for, and marketed to, women.  ;D
It was Edward Bernays, the Austrian-American pioneer in the field of public relations and propaganda, that first promoted female smoking by branding cigarettes as feminist "Torches of Freedom", his best-known campaign from 1929.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/19 at 7:16 am

Back in my day, real men smoked Pall Mall unfiltered. Next best thing to inhaling an ignited match.

I thought they always smoked those skinny cigarettes? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/10/19 at 7:16 am

One wonders did he know that cigarettes are harmful?

Did he read the label on the back?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/19 at 7:26 am

Did he read the label on the back?
What years was Bob Norris the Marlboro Man?

Written By: Howard on 11/10/19 at 7:40 am

I'm guessing during the early 1980's?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/10/19 at 7:55 am

I'm guessing during the early 1980's?

I did some more research. Norris was not actually the ORIGINAL Marlboro Man. He portrayed the Man from some time in the 1960s until the early 1970s.

He quit after his son asked him why he was out there pitching cancer sticks while he forbade them to do the same.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/19 at 8:12 am

I did some more research. Norris was not actually the ORIGINAL Marlboro Man. He portrayed the Man from some time in the 1960s until the early 1970s.

He quit after his son asked him why he was out there pitching cancer sticks while he forbade them to do the same.
Thank you for your research on this, for I know that health warnings on cigarette packets in 1969.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/19 at 2:02 pm

Thank you for your research on this, for I know that health warnings on cigarette packets in 1969.

My Father stopped smoking well over 30 years ago as he developed small bouts of coughing later on so now he uses an inhaler in the morning.

Written By: nally on 11/10/19 at 2:06 pm

Ah, that is helpful to know too.

Yeah, good question.

Check for new replies or respond here...