inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Farewell to Don Imus

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/27/19 at 4:44 pm

Legendary, cowboy hat-wearing radio personality Don Imus, who hosted the radio show Imus in the Morning for nearly 50 years, has died. Imus was 79.  :\'(

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-imus-legendary-imus-morning-host-dies-at-79-1265052

In the shock jock business, Don could be considered an O.G.  8)

Subject: Re: Farewell to Don Imus

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/19 at 5:11 pm

WOW! I used to listen to him on WNBC out of NY in the mid '70s BEFORE he because a shock jock.

Cat

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 12/27/19 at 7:21 pm

One less racist in the world. No sympathy. Sorry.

Written By: nally on 12/28/19 at 11:02 am

One less racist in the world. No sympathy. Sorry.

I'm sure there are many people that share that opinion...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/28/19 at 12:20 pm

I'm sure there are many people that share that opinion...

I first encountered Don Imus when he was a VJ o VH-1 in the mid 80s, back when they played music (and some decent music at that). I was not familiar with him as a radio personality because he was still local to New York (or wherever) at that point, and even Howard Stern was not yet nationwide. I couldn't figure out why this grizzled old man (yes, he appeared that way even then) with such a sour and horrid personality (be it an act or not) was a VJ. But by then the 80s were, unfortunately, in full swing and this was par for the course. The cosmic consciousness of the 60s and 70s was long over.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/28/19 at 12:38 pm

WOW! I used to listen to him on WNBC out of NY in the mid '70s BEFORE he because a shock jock.

Cat

Did you listen to Allison Steele, "The Nightbird"? I'm not from the area but I know of her reputation, and I have some tapes (old cassettes) of her interviewing musicians I like (such as Donovan) in the 70s. She was the epitome of the 60s/70s FM DJ with the low key sultry voice, reading poetry on the air, etc. One of the first women in the business also.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/28/19 at 12:44 pm

I first encountered Don Imus when he was a VJ o VH-1 in the mid 80s, back when they played music (and some decent music at that). I was not familiar with him as a radio personality because he was still local to New York (or wherever) at that point, and even Howard Stern was not yet nationwide. I couldn't figure out why this grizzled old man (yes, he appeared that way even then) with such a sour and horrid personality (be it an act or not) was a VJ. But by then the 80s were, unfortunately, in full swing and this was par for the course. The cosmic consciousness of the 60s and 70s was long over.

Donnie brought in the listeners and the ratings. That’s what the radio business is about and he was indeed a rainmaker. Whether people liked him or not... they tuned in, and that’s what drives the numbers in the broadcast business. Few people could bring in the numbers like Don.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/19 at 12:57 pm

Did you listen to Allison Steele, "The Nightbird"? I'm not from the area but I know of her reputation, and I have some tapes (old cassettes) of her interviewing musicians I like (such as Donovan) in the 70s. She was the epitome of the 60s/70s FM DJ with the low key sultry voice, reading poetry on the air, etc. One of the first women in the business also.

No. During the AM radio days, I did listen to Cousin Brucie out of WABC in NY BEFORE switching to Imus in the Morning. Actually, it was one of my sisters who worked the radio so I just listened to what they had on.

After I got my own radio (lol), I listened to FM rock on WPLR (out of New Haven), WPLJ (out of NYC-which is now a Christian station), & WPDH (out of Poughkeepie).

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/28/19 at 3:51 pm

No. During the AM radio days, I did listen to Cousin Brucie out of WABC in NY BEFORE switching to Imus in the Morning. Actually, it was one of my sisters who worked the radio so I just listened to what they had on.

After I got my own radio (lol), I listened to FM rock on WPLR (out of New Haven), WPLJ (out of NYC-which is now a Christian station), & WPDH (out of Poughkeepie).

Cat

Cat, Did you listen to WCBS-FM?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/28/19 at 3:52 pm

Legendary, cowboy hat-wearing radio personality Don Imus, who hosted the radio show Imus in the Morning for nearly 50 years, has died. Imus was 79.  :\'(

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-imus-legendary-imus-morning-host-dies-at-79-1265052

In the shock jock business, Don could be considered an O.G.  8)

R.I.P. Don Imus.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/19 at 4:35 pm

Cat, Did you listen to WCBS-FM?  ???

Nope. Only the ones I listed.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...