inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kobe Bryant Dead in Helicopter Crash

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/20 at 2:11 pm

NBA legend Kobe Bryant passed away this morning in a chopper crash. Not a lot of details at this time.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-reportedly-killed-in-california-helicopter-crash/

Subject: Re: Kobe Bryant Dead in Helicopter Crash

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/20 at 2:15 pm

Witnesses say that the chopper was on fire before it crashed.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/20 at 2:18 pm

HOLY CRAP!!!!  :o :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: mqg96 on 01/26/20 at 2:21 pm

No, no, NO!!!! Hell no. I just heard the news on radio a few minutes ago. I don't even wanna believe this just happened right now!  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Kobe Bryant just retired from the NBA 4 years ago (as of this new calendar year that just started). Rest In Peace man.

Words can't describe how devastated am I right now as a big fan of the sport whether it's college football, NFL, NBA, or MLB.

Written By: nally on 01/26/20 at 2:54 pm

HOLY CRAP!!!!  :o :o :o :o

Cat

My thoughts exactly! :\'( :o :\'( :o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/26/20 at 3:05 pm

It gets worse. Reports are now coming in that Kobe's 13 year old daughter Gianna was also in the helicopter.  :\'(

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/26/20 at 3:28 pm

I've never really followed sports (and they've never followed me), but I do remember him on an episode of All That.

5fV1FP38ecI

This is such a shock. And his daughter, too. No survivors. RIP  :\'(

Written By: Sman12 on 01/26/20 at 3:33 pm

Both GiGi and Kobe died along with 3 other people. Just senseless. Today is so screwed up.  : :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/26/20 at 3:39 pm

This is so horrible, I can't even believe what I'm seeing.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/26/20 at 3:57 pm

Oh NOOO!!!  This is so horrible    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. 

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/26/20 at 6:30 pm

Both shocking and tragic. RIP, Kobe. :\'(

Written By: violet_shy on 01/26/20 at 6:35 pm

Sad  :\'(

Written By: imrane on 01/26/20 at 6:48 pm

I don't follow sports except tennis but his Turkish airlines TV commercial with Messi was a fixture here in 2013-14. Shocked to say the least as he acted so down-to-earth. :-X A true legend that I think will now come to personify the 2000s and early 2010s.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/26/20 at 7:13 pm

Pretty sad day for us Basketball fans  :\'( He was one of the best NBA players of all time, played 20 years, won 5 championships.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/26/20 at 7:40 pm

In the same month that the NBA Commissioner that brought the NBA into the limelight and stardom is today, David Stern, tragically died, another legend has unfortunately passed :\'(.

Kobe Bryant was a GOAT of epic proportions. But most importantly, he was a great father figure. He gave back to the Black community and disenfranchised youth. He always remained humble. He even said when asked about being in the NBA Hall of Fame that he wasn't necessarily eager to be on there. Whatever happens, happens.

That is true humility and respect to an athlete who brought so much invigoration and life to the NBA during his entire career from 1996 to 2016.

GTJwoWHMEw0

April 14th, 2016: Kobe Bryant's last professional game on the Los Angeles Lakers. His team was down about 30 points around half time, and he was still able to take his team to make a comeback and ultimately win. What a great send off to a great era of basketball that I, and millions others, truly miss. Gone, but never forgotten.

#RIPMAMBA  :\'(.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/27/20 at 12:39 am

I don't even know what to say right now. All day, I've been mostly numb. This can't be real. RIP to Kobe, Gianna and the other people that lost their life in the crash :\'(.

#WeLoveYouKobe #MambaForever

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/27/20 at 2:13 am

Before shooting a ball, think about Kobe first before you mention his first name.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/20 at 5:21 am

NBA legend Kobe Bryant passed away this morning in a chopper crash. Not a lot of details at this time.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-reportedly-killed-in-california-helicopter-crash/

I was so shocked to see the news, R.I.P. Kobe Bryant.  :\'(

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/27/20 at 5:45 am

Final count is nine. No survivors.  :\'(

Edit to add: The pilot has been identified as Ara Zobayan.

https://twitter.com/ChristinaKTLA/status/1221656582083112960

Written By: J. Rob on 01/27/20 at 12:32 pm

I'm so shocked by this that I feel literally nothing

Written By: violet_shy on 01/27/20 at 2:25 pm

I'm sad that they are no longer with us. But, I'm happy they are in a better place than Earth. I never cry when people die. Why should I? There's someplace better.  :)

Written By: mqg96 on 01/27/20 at 3:13 pm

It just hit me how with Kobe wearing #24 jersey in the later half of this career, the year he dies (2020) was going to be 24 years since he got drafted to the Lakers (as a trade from the Hornets). That is so symbolic man, and it doesn't stop there. After LeBron passed Kobe for #3 in all time scoring list, LeBron did this long post game speech about his memories with Kobe throughout his whole life, less than 24 hours before his death! The timing of this was insane.

xApmk3AlWLQ

Written By: nally on 01/27/20 at 6:04 pm

It just hit me how with Kobe wearing #24 jersey in the later half of this career, the year he dies (2020) was going to be 24 years since he got drafted to the Lakers (as a trade from the Hornets). That is so symbolic man, and it doesn't stop there. After LeBron passed Kobe for #3 in all time scoring list, LeBron did this long post game speech about his memories with Kobe throughout his whole life, less than 24 hours before his death! The timing of this was insane.

Amazing, I had not realized that!

I had also remembered, last night when they were talking about it all over the news, that he originally wore the number 8 jersey (before later switching to 24). Both #8 and #24 have been retired by the Lakers in his honor.

The 24 jersey was also retired in his honor by the Dallas Mavericks, even though he never played for that team; however, owner Mark Cuban decided to retire it in the wake of Kobe's death.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/27/20 at 6:54 pm

Amazing, I had not realized that!

I had also remembered, last night when they were talking about it all over the news, that he originally wore the number 8 jersey (before later switching to 24). Both #8 and #24 have been retired by the Lakers in his honor.

The 24 jersey was also retired in his honor by the Dallas Mavericks, even though he never played for that team; however, owner Mark Cuban decided to retire it in the wake of Kobe's death.

They should retire the number 24 from all professional sports.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/27/20 at 7:07 pm

#24 should be retired league wide. No NBA player of Kobe's magnitude has died so suddenly.

The NBA has awarded the MVP award since 1955 and only 3 NBA MVPs have passed away so far (Wilt Chamberlain, Moses Malone & now Kobe) :o.

NBA legends usually live long. Seeing Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar sending their condolences to Kobe, Gigi and the other victims is surreal. Who would have guessed that Bill Russell & Kareem would outlive Kobe? :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/27/20 at 7:27 pm

#24 should be retired league wide. No NBA player of Kobe's magnitude has died so suddenly.

The NBA has awarded the MVP award since 1955 and only 3 NBA MVPs have passed away so far (Wilt Chamberlain, Moses Malone & now Kobe) :o.

NBA legends usually live long. Seeing Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar sending their condolences to Kobe, Gigi and the other victims is surreal. Who would have guessed that Bill Russell & Kareem would outlive Kobe? :\'(

Wilt’s jersey should also be retired league-wide. He set all sorts of records both on and off the court.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/27/20 at 7:52 pm

I keep thinking about this. It makes me sad. :-[

Written By: nally on 01/27/20 at 11:32 pm

They should retire the number 24 from all professional sports.

I don't know if they should go that far. I mean, certain professional sports have retired a specific number in honor of a player highly regarded in that sport in a specific way. For example, the number 99 was retired by all NHL teams in honor of Wayne Gretzky (who is still with us). And the number 42 was retired by all of MLB in honor of Jackie Robinson.

Now...

maybe this might come to fruition someday. (I'd be all for it.)

Edit: I just read on Wiki...
The Dallas Mavericks retired No. 24 on January 26, 2020 following his death, amid persistent calls to retire his number league wide.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/20 at 2:20 am

So tragic news for a national sporting and well respected hero.  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/20 at 3:04 am

Sadly, I hear that the pilot of the helicopter was warned by Air Traffic Control due to visibility difficulties.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/28/20 at 7:31 am

Sadly, I hear that the pilot of the helicopter was warned by Air Traffic Control due to visibility difficulties.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

If there's fog, stay out of it.

Written By: nally on 01/28/20 at 12:25 pm

If there's fog, stay out of it.

Precisely!! They shouldn't have gone up in the air in the fog in the first place.

In fact, fog was all over So-Cal that morning.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/28/20 at 1:57 pm

Precisely!! They shouldn't have gone up in the air in the fog in the first place.

Apparently, the pilot was trying to climb up higher altitude to avoid a cloud layer before crashing. But yeah, I wished Kobe and everyone else took a limo.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/28/20 at 2:41 pm

Apparently, the pilot was trying to climb up higher altitude to avoid a cloud layer before crashing. But yeah, I wished Kobe and everyone else took a limo.  :\'(

That would've been a safe bet in my opinion.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/28/20 at 3:27 pm

That would've been a safe bet in my opinion.

The thing is that Kobe frequently flies in a helicopter. He's been doing it since his playing career. He said in an interview that the reason why he flies in helicopters so much was to avoid the traffic in LA.

I'm not from Los Angeles but the traffic is notoriously bad there. LA is poorly designed (it was designed to be a "car friendly" city) and the public transportation system in LA is below average.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/28/20 at 3:31 pm

The thing is that Kobe frequently flies in a helicopter. He's been doing it since his playing career. He said in an interview that the reason why he flies in helicopters so much was to avoid the traffic in LA.

I'm not from Los Angeles but the traffic is notoriously bad there. LA is poorly designed (it was designed to be a "car friendly" city) and the public transportation system in LA is below average.

That's the way I feel about Atlanta traffic. The downtown connector in Atlanta (known as I-75 and I-85 merging together) is awful 24/7. Especially during the mornings and evenings. Then I-285, the Atlanta Bypass loop, is a complete disaster with the way the roads are built and I-285 is one of the most dangerous interstates nationwide. All the big trucks have to take 285 and aren't allowed to take the downtown connector which makes things more complicated. Anyway, from what I've heard about LA traffic, it's the only traffic that might be worse than Atlanta traffic.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/28/20 at 3:46 pm

That's the way I feel about Atlanta traffic. The downtown connector in Atlanta (known as I-75 and I-85 merging together) is awful 24/7. Especially during the mornings and evenings. Then I-285, the Atlanta Bypass loop, is a complete disaster with the way the roads are built and I-285 is one of the most dangerous interstates nationwide. All the big trucks have to take 285 and aren't allowed to take the downtown connector which makes things more complicated. Anyway, from what I've heard about LA traffic, it's the only traffic that might be worse than Atlanta traffic.

I see what you mean. This was thanksgiving in LA almost two years ago. Total gridlock near LAX.
https://image.businessinsider.com/5bf58df30d7c6723293715b0?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp
But the crash happened on a Sunday morning, so traffic wouldn't presumably be that bad. And it was foggy out. Too bad that all we can do is suggest hypotheticals when they won't do anything.

Written By: nally on 01/28/20 at 4:52 pm

I can understand that, but if the air is foggy, that should be a deterrent, because the visibility is reduced greatly.

Yes, the traffic can be like that (which I know from having lived in the general area all my life)... but on a Sunday morning it is often less hectic than it would be on a weekday morning.

As for the public transportation system, I know all about it from having used it for a number of years (mainly in the 90s and 2000s), and it has been expanding in recent years to outlying areas.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/28/20 at 5:48 pm

Helicopter travel is considerably less safe than car travel. And according to the below article from Slate Mag, private helicopters have an accident rate 18 times that of commercial helicopter taxis.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2011/06/are-helicopters-safer-than-cars.html

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/29/20 at 12:04 pm

Yeah, it's just sad all around. This tragedy was easily avoidable and all 9 lives should still be here.

Subject: Kobe Bryant Dead in Helicopter Crash

Written By: Dude111 on 01/29/20 at 6:27 pm

Yes this is very sad.................

Written By: Sman12 on 01/29/20 at 10:01 pm

Kobe's widow Vanessa posted a heartbreaking yet uplifting message from her ig: https://www.instagram.com/p/B77K8XWDY7O

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/07/20 at 3:29 pm

This is still stunning to me!! :\'( :\'( :\'(  his memorial service will be held next week i think!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/07/20 at 4:09 pm

This is still stunning to me!! :\'( :\'( :\'(  his memorial service will be held next week i think!

No, on February 24th (2/24). Gigi and Kobe's numbers were 2 and 24 :\'(.

Yeah, it still doesn't feel real. I try not to think about it much. I can't imagine how Vanessa & Natalia Bryant are feeling. Along with the family and friends of the other people that died :\'(.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/07/20 at 4:13 pm

No, on February 24th (2/24). Gigi and Kobe's numbers were 2 and 24 :\'(.

Yeah, it still doesn't feel real. I try not to think about it much. I can't imagine how Vanessa & Natalia Bryant are feeling. Along with the family and friends of the other people that died :\'(.

Now my kids won't expierence one of my childhood icons as an older guy.... so INCREDIBLY SAD!!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/07/20 at 5:39 pm

Gayle King apparently is in hot water after bringing up Kobe’s rape accusations from 17 years ago, in context, in a TV interview.

I wonder if people will be as irate if she mentions the O.J. Simpson Murder case when OJ eventually expires? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/20 at 5:13 am

Did anybody here watch the Kobe Bryant tribute show? ???

Written By: nally on 02/25/20 at 10:28 am

No, but I did know that there was a special memorial service for him and his daughter yesterday at Staples' Center in downtown Los Angeles. Only people who received tickets for it could attend. But it was shown on TV (I think).

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/20 at 10:35 am

No, but I did know that there was a special memorial service for him and his daughter yesterday at Staples' Center in downtown Los Angeles. Only people who received tickets for it could attend. But it was shown on TV (I think).
Any footage on YouTube?

Written By: Howard on 02/25/20 at 2:45 pm

I watched a little bit when Vanessa made her sad speech.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/25/20 at 3:30 pm

I did. It was very powerful and of course sad. MJ and Shaq brought some much needed humor though.

Vanessa Bryant is an incredibly strong woman. I don't know how she was able to go up there and give that speech. If I lost my wife and one of my children at the same time, I would be distraught and probably couldn't give a speech at their funeral/memorial.

Once again,  RIP to Kobe, Gigi and the 7 others who were lost.

Subject: Kobe Bryant's widow gets almost $29m settlement from LA

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/23 at 11:28 am

Los Angeles County has agreed to pay nearly $29m (£24m) to NBA superstar Kobe Bryant's widow after police shared graphic images of his fatal helicopter crash two years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64806905

Subject: Re: Kobe Bryant's widow gets almost $29m settlement from LA

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/23 at 2:27 pm

Los Angeles County has agreed to pay nearly $29m (£24m) to NBA superstar Kobe Bryant's widow after police shared graphic images of his fatal helicopter crash two years ago.

Ridiculous.

Subject: Re: Kobe Bryant's widow gets almost $29m settlement from LA

Written By: Howard on 03/01/23 at 3:25 pm

Why so much?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/23 at 3:27 pm

Why so much?
She said the $28,850,000 settlement included the $16m awarded by a federal jury in August 2022 to Mrs Bryant in her invasion of privacy lawsuit against Los Angeles County.

Check for new replies or respond here...