inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Another M*A*S*H Casualty: Gene Reynolds Dies At 96

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/04/20 at 7:16 pm

Gene Reynolds, one of the many talents of the hit show M*A*S*H has died at the age of 96. He was an actor in his early days, being featured in films like Captains Courageous, Boys Town and The Country Girl. He became a writer of such TV shows like "Leave It To Beaver", "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Hogan's Heroes". He co-created M*A*S*H with Larry Gelbart on 120 episode from 1972-1983. He will be sorely missed.

Subject: Re: Another M*A*S*H Casualty: Gene Reynolds Dies At 96

Written By: violet_shy on 02/04/20 at 7:18 pm

I don't know who he is...but, may he RIP now.  :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/04/20 at 7:24 pm

I don't know who he is...but, may he RIP now.  :-\\

I would say look at Wikipedia, since I can't type or copy an entire link on a smartphone. Can someone find a link, please? Thanks

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/04/20 at 8:07 pm

The M*A*S*H curse strikes again. McLean Stevenson, Ferret Face, Trapper John, Father Mulcahy, Harry Morgan, the dude that played Winchester, Sidney Freidman, Soon-Tek Oh, and Mako have all taken their last medevac flights to that mobile hospital unit in the sky.

It’s not too late for a reunion episode though.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/04/20 at 9:16 pm

The M*A*S*H curse strikes again. McLean Stevenson, Ferret Face, Trapper John, Father Mulcahy, Harry Morgan, the dude that played Winchester, Sidney Freidman, Soon-Tek Oh, and Mako have all taken their last medevac flights to that mobile hospital unit in the sky.

Larry Gelbart, Reynolds' partner, died in September 2009.
Thd dude who played Winchester was David Ogden Stiers.
The actor that played Colonel Flagg  (Ed Winter) also died.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/04/20 at 9:45 pm

I would hardly call it a "curse" in any way, shape or form. Most of the deceased actors lived until a ripe old age. Indeed, longer than most. Harry Morgan (Col. Potter) was 96! Alan Arbus (Sidney Friedman) was 95. Soon-Tek Oh (various roles) was 85. William Christopher (Father Mulcahey) was 84. Wayne Rogers (Trapper John) was 82. Larry Gelbart (creator) was 81. David Ogden Stiers (Major Winchester) was 75. Mako (various roles) was 72. Only Larry Linville (Major Burns), Edward Winter (Col. Flagg) and MacLean Stevenson (Col. Blake) died relatively young, at 60, 63 and 68 respectively. M*A*S*H was one of the best TV shows ever in existence.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/20 at 1:02 am

I would say look at Wikipedia, since I can't type or copy an entire link on a smartphone. Can someone find a link, please? Thanks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Reynolds

"He made his screen debut in the 1934 Our Gang short Washee Ironee, and for the next three decades made numerous appearances in films such as In Old Chicago (1937), Captains Courageous (1937), Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938), Boys Town (1938), They Shall Have Music (1939), Santa Fe Trail (1940), Adventure in Washington (1941), Eagle Squadron (1942) and The Country Girl (1954) and on television series like I Love Lucy, Armstrong Circle Theatre, Whirlybirds, and Hallmark Hall of Fame. He was contracted to MGM between 1937 and 1940. He was in the U.S. Navy during World War II."

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/05/20 at 5:37 am

Larry Gelbart, Reynolds' partner, died in September 2009.
Thd dude who played Winchester was David Ogden Stiers.
The actor that played Colonel Flagg  (Ed Winter) also died.

Well we still have Hawkeye, BJ, Radar, Hot Lips, Rizzo, and Klingler, so a reunion episode is certainly feasible.  8)

Perhaps a plot line where the 4077 alums get reactivated to serve in Afghanistan.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/20 at 4:30 pm

maybe that could happen in the near future.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/20 at 4:54 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

I would hardly call it a "curse" in any way, shape or form. Most of the deceased actors lived until a ripe old age. Indeed, longer than most. Harry Morgan (Col. Potter) was 96! Alan Arbus (Sidney Friedman) was 95. Soon-Tek Oh (various roles) was 85. William Christopher (Father Mulcahey) was 84. Wayne Rogers (Trapper John) was 82. Larry Gelbart (creator) was 81. David Ogden Stiers (Major Winchester) was 75. Mako (various roles) was 72. Only Larry Linville (Major Burns), Edward Winter (Col. Flagg) and MacLean Stevenson (Col. Blake) died relatively young, at 60, 63 and 68 respectively.

THIS!
M*A*S*H was one of the best TV shows ever in existence.

Totally agree!!!!

Well we still have Hawkeye, BJ, Radar, Hot Lips, Rizzo, and Klingler, so a reunion episode is certainly feasible.  8)

Perhaps a plot line where the 4077 alums get reactivated to serve in Afghanistan.

That plot line is totally ridiculous. From the end of the Korean War to the beginning of the Afghanistan War was about 50 years (give or take). When M*A*S*H ended Alan Alda AKA Hawkeye was 47. 50 years later, Hawkeye would be 97. I really doubt that the U.S. would reactivate a 97 year old into service. And besides, there is no longer the draft and Hawkeye was drafted which is the only reason why he (and BJ) were in Korea in the first place.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/05/20 at 5:39 pm

That plot line is totally ridiculous. From the end of the Korean War to the beginning of the Afghanistan War was about 50 years (give or take). When M*A*S*H ended Alan Alda AKA Hawkeye was 47. 50 years later, Hawkeye would be 97. I really doubt that the U.S. would reactivate a 97 year old into service. And besides, there is no longer the draft and Hawkeye was drafted which is the only reason why he (and BJ) were in Korea in the first place.

Cat

Those points would make my proposed plot line even more poignant. Those doctors were so good that Uncle Sam passed an emergency bill reopening the draft for these guys.  8)

Not unlike the plot line for Space Cowboys, although admittedly these guys are a little older than James Garner was

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/05/20 at 10:13 pm

Gene Reynolds, one of the many talents of the hit show M*A*S*H has died at the age of 96. He was an actor in his early days, being featured in films like Captains Courageous, Boys Town and The Country Girl. He became a writer of such TV shows like "Leave It To Beaver", "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Hogan's Heroes". He co-created M*A*S*H with Larry Gelbart on 120 episode from 1972-1983. He will be sorely missed.

I know him to be co-creator and producer of M*A*S*H - he will be sorely missed  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Gene Reynolds

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/05/20 at 11:17 pm

THIS!

Totally agree!!!!

Although I'm sure using the word "curse" was likely just a figure of speech, to further prove there isn't one here is a list of awards won by M*A*S*H and it's cast and crew. I took it from Wikipedia. I do remember that when Alan Alda won an Emmy for writing in 1979 he did a cartwheel on the way to the stage. He loved getting an award for writing even more than for acting.

M*A*S*H was nominated for over 100 Emmy Awards during its 11-year run, winning 14:

1974 – Outstanding Comedy Series – M*A*S*H; Larry Gelbart, Gene Reynolds (Producers)
1974 – Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series – Alan Alda
1974 – Best Directing in Comedy – Jackie Cooper: "Carry On, Hawkeye"
1974 – Actor of the Year, Series – Alan Alda
1975 – Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series – Gene Reynolds: "O.R."
1976 – Outstanding Film Editing for Entertainment Programming – Fred W. Berger and Stanford Tischler: "Welcome to Korea"
1976 – Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series – Gene Reynolds: "Welcome to Korea"
1977 – Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series – Alan Alda: "Dear Sigmund"
1977 – Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Gary Burghoff
1979 – Outstanding Writing in a Comedy-Variety or Music Series – Alan Alda: "Inga"
1980 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy or Variety or Music Series – Loretta Swit
1980 – Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy or Variety or Music Series – Harry Morgan
1982 – Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series – Alan Alda
1982 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy or Variety or Music Series – Loretta Swit

The show won the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series (Musical or Comedy) in 1981. Alan Alda won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Television Series (Musical or Comedy) six times: in 1975, 1976, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1983. McLean Stevenson won the award for Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series in 1974.

The series earned the Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in a Comedy Series seven times: 1973 (Gene Reynolds), 1974 (Reynolds), 1975 (Hy Averback), 1976 (Averback), 1977 (Alan Alda), 1982 (Alda), 1983 (Alda).

The show was honored with a Peabody Award in 1975 "for the depth of its humor and the manner in which comedy is used to lift the spirit and, as well, to offer a profound statement on the nature of war." M*A*S*H was cited as "an example of television of high purpose that reveals in universal terms a time and place with such affecting clarity."

Writers for the show received several Humanitas Prize nominations, with Larry Gelbart winning in 1976, Alan Alda winning in 1980, and the team of David Pollock and Elias Davis winning twice in 1982 and 1983.

The series received 28 Writers Guild of America Award nominations – 26 for Episodic Comedy and two for Episodic Drama. Seven episodes won for Episodic Comedy in 1973, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, and 1981.

Check for new replies or respond here...