inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arrows lead singer Alan Merrill dies of Coronavirus

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/30/20 at 4:53 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52089768

The Arrows lead singer/bassist Alan Merrill -- best known for co-writing "I Love Rock N Roll" with guitarist Jake Hooker, which later became a hit for Joan Jett & the Blackhearts -- has died from the Coronavirus. He was 69.

The glam rock band The Arrows also had UK hits with "Touch Too Much" (not to be confused with the AC/DC song) and "My Last Night With You."

I just found out Jake Hooker died in 2014 at the age of 61.

daughter Laura shared the news, saying the 69-year-old had been healthy enough to play shows a few weeks ago.

"He played down the 'cold' he thought he had," she wrote, before warning other families not to be complacent.

"You don't think It'll happen to you or your strong family. It has," she wrote. "Stay home if not for you, for others. For my dad. This thing is real."

I Love Rock 'N' Roll was written by Merrill and guitarist Jake Hooker as "a knee-jerk response to the Rolling Stones' It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" in 1975.

Wow. Huge shock. I have heard, and liked, the Arrows version, but there's a reason why everyone remembers Joan Jett. She took an already-great song and made it her own.

RIP Alan.

UETTaHaAnaQ

Subject: Re: Arrows lead singer Alan Merrill dies of Coronavirus

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/20 at 5:05 am

I was reading obits this morning, so sad, he loved rock n roll!

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Subject: Re: Arrows lead singer Alan Merrill dies of Coronavirus

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/30/20 at 8:36 am

Never heard this original version before. Sounds like Joan Jett didn’t have to change much. Other than her little wail after the chorus, the song was completely there.

This is sad. I wonder how many more legends this virus will take. Sometimes I don’t want to find out.

Check for new replies or respond here...