inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paul O’Neill Cashes Out...

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/20 at 3:48 pm

Industrialist Paul O’Neill, known bets for his stint in turning Alcoa Aluminum into a powerhouse, and for serving a stint as Secretary of the Treasury, has passed away from lung cancer at the age of 84.  :\'(

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/04/18/former-alcoa-ceo-treasury-secretary-paul-oneill-dies-at-84/

Paul grew sleepy Alcoa into a real powerhouse during his time at the helm, and in particular drove its worker injury rates to ridiculously low levels, unprecedented in heavy industry. He initially tusseled with the board of directors about this, but he persevered and showed them that safety was indeed good for business.  8)

One wonders though... what he thought about what happened to the company that he turned into such a successful enterprise. In the past 6 years it’s been a real @#$% show, with failed acquisitions and then ultimately blowing itself up into bits and pieces.  ::)

Subject: Re: Paul O’Neill Cashes Out...

Written By: nally on 04/18/20 at 4:38 pm

I've heard of this guy (as well as other men with the exact first and last name). I remember he was Secretary Of Treasury in the early 2000s, during GW Bush's first two years of presidency (right around the time that a baseball outfielder with the same name retired from MLB).

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/20 at 5:36 pm

I've heard of this guy (as well as other men with the exact first and last name). I remember he was Secretary Of Treasury in the early 2000s, during GW Bush's first two years of presidency (right around the time that a baseball outfielder with the same name retired from MLB).

Indeed.  Not to be confused with:

...the English footballer born in 1982
...the American gymnast born in 1965
...the Australian cyclist
...the race car driver born in 1979
...the Canadian author born in 1928
...the rock producer born in 1956
...the dude from Chicago who got shot 15 times after ramming his stolen car into police officers

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/20 at 6:14 pm

I read this thread title and thought it was the New York Yankee

Check for new replies or respond here...