inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Then There Were Three: Statler Brothers’ Harold Reid Gone at 80

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/20 at 6:43 am

Harold Reid, a founding member of the hugely popular country/gospel quartet, The Statler Brothers, has sung his last harmony part at the age of 80.  :\'(

http://www.cmt.com/news/1820614/the-statler-brothers-harold-reid-dies-at-80/

These guys were monsters on the country scene, charting tunes from the 70s through the 90s.  8)

There is no Wikipedia page built for Mr. Reid yet, however.

Dae8Bt3xl0s

Subject: Re: Then There Were Three: Statler Brothers’ Harold Reid Gone at 80

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/25/20 at 11:23 am

Lot of songs in the 60s too. The main song I remember was Elizabeth. It was all over the radio back when my dad would take us to his brother’s trailer out in the boonies.

I remember watching an interview with them after a performance and Harold kinda stood out as the most funny outgoing one. In the early 90s I used to see them on those Time life type music commercials.

Written By: nally on 04/25/20 at 11:24 am

R.I.P. Harold. :(

I knew that the band had a long musical history.

Oddly, I had not realized that he and bandmate Don Reid were the only members in the history of the band related as brothers, and no others were surnamed Statler (which makes the name a misnomer). How they came up with that name is beyond my comprehension.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/20 at 12:31 pm

R.I.P. Harold. :(

I knew that the band had a long musical history.

Oddly, I had not realized that he and bandmate Don Reid were the only members in the history of the band related as brothers, and no others were surnamed Statler (which makes the name a misnomer). How they came up with that name is beyond my comprehension.

They originally were called The Kingsmen, but when the “other” Kingsmen rose to fame with Louie Louie, they needed a name change.  :P

They took the name Statler from the manufacturer’s name on some paper products at a hotel in which they were staying. In later years they used to joke that “We could have been the Kleenex Brothers”.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...