inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Charlie Daniels Gone at 83...

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/20 at 1:13 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/07/06/charlie-daniels-country-music-dies/5384087002/

Subject: Re: Charlie Daniels Gone at 83...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/06/20 at 1:27 pm

He played on several Bob Dylan albums as well as touring with Leonard Cohen and both praised him to high heaven. He will be missed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 1:34 pm

I have wonderful memories of trying to play "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" on my new guitar back in the late 1970s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/20 at 2:19 pm

I was never into country but Charlie Daniels is the exception..

Not only the Devil Went Down To Georgia but he had so many other wonderful songs like Uneasy Rider & Still in Saigon.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/06/20 at 8:45 pm

He was an icon of my growing up years - he will be missed    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Charlie Daniels

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/06/20 at 9:48 pm

Not only the Devil Went Down To Georgia but he had so many other wonderful songs like Uneasy Rider & Still in Saigon.

Cat

"Still In Saigon" is a great one.  That got some airplay in the early 80s.

Written By: nally on 07/07/20 at 10:10 am

Cat

Me neither, but "Devil Went Down To Georgia" did score big on the pop chart, and I have heard it on classic hits/rock stations from time to time. O0 In addition, there are other more recent pop/country crossovers I like.

R.I.P. Charlie :\'(

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/07/20 at 11:10 am

I have wonderful memories of trying to play "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" on my new guitar back in the late 1970s.

Yes I have many memories of working on the overdriven bass solo during the “devil’s” fiddle part.

He always seemed like a cool guy on all the commercials and other appearances I’ve seen. RIP Charlie.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/20 at 5:22 pm

Charlie’s musings on my hometown Picksburgh:

The line, "Just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steelers fan" stems from Daniels' feeling that the people in Pittsburgh are "The salt of the earth, the finest, just the greatest people. The strength of America." He says, "I've gone to ball games at different places, but I've always felt the Pittsburgh Steelers fans, especially in the old stadium - I mean, they're steel workers and they're good old guys with blisters, or calluses on their hands. The strength of America is not in Washington, D.C., It's in our people, it's on the farms, in the factories. It's the people out here that make this country work. The truck drivers, the farmers. And these people, that's what they were, and I just felt like if you want to go to war, let me take some of these guys with me. Go lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and you're gonna find out what American anger is, because it's the kind of people they are.”.  8)

Subject: Charlie Daniels Gone at 83...

Written By: Dude111 on 07/07/20 at 7:20 pm

Yes this is very sad for sure..........

Check for new replies or respond here...