inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Helen Reddy: Australian singer of feminist anthem I Am Woman dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/20 at 4:13 am

Helen Reddy, the Australian singer behind feminist anthem I Am Woman, has died aged 78.
Reddy died on Tuesday in Los Angeles, her family said in a statement on Facebook. Her children Traci Donat and Jordan Sommers described her as a "wonderful mother, grandmother, and a truly formidable woman" "Our hearts are broken. But we take comfort in the knowledge that her voice will live on forever."
Reddy, who had Addison's disease and was diagnosed with dementia in 2015, spent the last years of her life in a celebrity care home in Los Angeles She had a string of pop-rock hits in the 1970s, but is best known for the 1972 anthem I Am Woman - which became prominent in the women's liberation movement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-54350248

Subject: Re: Helen Reddy: Australian singer of feminist anthem I Am Woman dies

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/30/20 at 9:06 am

She was in certain ways the voice of women in the early 70's.  Sad to say goodbye  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Helen Reddy

Written By: nally on 09/30/20 at 9:20 am

She was in certain ways the voice of women in the early 70's.  Sad to say goodbye  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Helen Reddy

Agreed...

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/20 at 11:31 am

I didn't even know she was sick.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/20 at 12:57 pm

So sad. Mine & my mother's song is "You & Me Against the World." I can never listen to that song without crying (especially now that my mother is gone-as well as Helen).

I always loved her Greatest Hits album. I must have been about 12 or 13 years old. In those days we didn't have much money and an album was not a priority. There was this guy who was a friend of the family. I always remembered him as always teasing me because I was after all, 13. I can't remember why I was in the store with him but I made a comment about really wanting that album. To my amazement, he bought it for me. I still have that record but I also bought it on CD.

*Side note. That guy was the tallest person I have ever known. He was 6 ft 7 and we always called him "Tall Paul" because he name was in fact, Paul. (He went on to marry our tenant who had a son also by the name of Paul so he was known as "Small Paul." Everyone assumed that they were father & son because of their names when they were step-father & step-son.)

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/30/20 at 4:55 pm

I got her greatest hits album a couple years ago. About 10 years ago I got her song “Angie” in a compilation album and enjoyed it. I also got some of her performances on a set of Midnight Special dvds.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/20 at 5:15 pm

I got her greatest hits album a couple years ago. About 10 years ago I got her song “Angie” in a compilation album and enjoyed it. I also got some of her performances on a set of Midnight Special dvds.

Angie Baby is one of my favorites.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/01/20 at 3:18 pm

Helen Reddy, the Australian singer behind feminist anthem I Am Woman, has died aged 78.
Reddy died on Tuesday in Los Angeles, her family said in a statement on Facebook. Her children Traci Donat and Jordan Sommers described her as a "wonderful mother, grandmother, and a truly formidable woman" "Our hearts are broken. But we take comfort in the knowledge that her voice will live on forever."
Reddy, who had Addison's disease and was diagnosed with dementia in 2015, spent the last years of her life in a celebrity care home in Los Angeles She had a string of pop-rock hits in the 1970s, but is best known for the 1972 anthem I Am Woman - which became prominent in the women's liberation movement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-54350248

RIP Helen Reddy.

Check for new replies or respond here...