inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RIP Legendary Pitcher Bob Gibson, 84

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/03/20 at 12:16 am

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30026719/hall-famer-bob-gibson-st-louis-cardinals-ace-dies-84

I grew up seeing Bob Gibson pitch towards the end of his illustrious career.  Sad to say goodbye  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Bob Gibson

Subject: Re: RIP Legendary Pitcher Bob Gibson, 84

Written By: nally on 10/03/20 at 12:25 pm

Just heard about this last night. What a legend he was. :\'(

Of course, he was active mainly in the 1960s and 1970s (before my time), but I still know all about his achievements in MLB. He spent his entire 17-year career with the Cardinals; his most notable season was 1968 when he achieved an impressive ERA of 1.12 and won the NL MVP award; he struck out 17 batters in the opening game of that year's World Series (but the team ultimately lost the Series to the Tigers).

Written By: nally on 10/04/20 at 11:46 am

Yesterday, MLB Network was paying tribute to Mr. Gibson, by showing notable moments from his career (including his 1968 WS game in which he achieved all those strikeouts).

Two other notable MLB players from the 1960s also passed away in the last few days: Lou Johnson (an outfielder, who in 1965 scored the only run in Sandy Koufax's perfect game and hit the go-ahead home run in the final game of that year's World Series) on Wednesday at age 86; and Ron Perranoski (a left-handed relief pitcher who had two stints with the Dodgers) on Thursday at age 84. :\'(

Not only that, a much-younger ex-Dodgers player has kicked the bucket: Charlie Haeger, a knuckleball pitcher who was with the team in 2009 and 2010, not performing so well. He reportedly took his own life last night at age 37. :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/20 at 11:51 am

Not only that, a much-younger ex-Dodgers player has kicked the bucket: Charlie Haeger, a knuckleball pitcher who was with the team in 2009 and 2010, not performing so well. He reportedly took his own life last night at age 37. :\'(

Mr. Haeger was the prime suspect in the shooting death of his ex-girlfriend a day or so before in Scottsdale; she had been pursuing a PFA against him.  Her roommate heard gunfire... Haeger was seen running out of the place with a gun in his hand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8803417/ex-MLB-pitcher-Charlie-Haeger-dead-Grand-Canyon-run-killing-ex-girlfriend.html

Written By: nally on 10/04/20 at 11:54 am

Mr. Haeger was the prime suspect in the shooting death of his ex-girlfriend a day or so before in Scottsdale; she had been pursuing a PFA against him.  Her roommate heard gunfire... Haeger was seen running out of the place with a gun in his hand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8803417/ex-MLB-pitcher-Charlie-Haeger-dead-Grand-Canyon-run-killing-ex-girlfriend.html

I was just reading about that on Wiki. Very sad.

Check for new replies or respond here...