inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mary Ann leaves the island

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 12/30/20 at 2:33 pm

https://deadline.com/2020/12/dawn-wells-dead-gilligans-island-covid-19-complications-1234662935/

In a strange coincidence, "one thing leading to another" led me to look up last night whether she and/or Tina Louise was still alive.  :o

RIP

Subject: Re: Mary Ann leaves the island

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/20 at 3:08 pm

Tina is the only main cast member to not fall victim to the cast curse that the Gilligan actors have faced.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/30/20 at 3:18 pm

https://deadline.com/2020/12/dawn-wells-dead-gilligans-island-covid-19-complications-1234662935/

In a strange coincidence, "one thing leading to another" led me to look up whether she and/or Tina Louise was still alive.  :o

RIP

:\'( RIP Dawn Wells.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/20 at 3:21 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/30/20 at 3:25 pm

Tina is the only main cast member to not fall victim to the cast curse that the Gilligan actors have faced.  :-\\

Exactly what is this "curse" you talk about every single time an actor from any mid 20th century TV show dies? There is no such curse. Dying young? While it's true that both Alan Hale and Bob Denver died relatively young at 68 and 70 respectively, that's two out of seven, which is not a majority. Natalie Shaeffer died at age 90, Russell Johnson was 89, Dawn Wells was 82 and Jim Backus was 76. Hardly spring chickens. And, as you mention, Tina Louise is still alive at age 86. What other curse befell them? Were they typecast? You betcha. But that is a well known possibility that may befall any actor in such a series. It's an occupational hazard, not a "curse".

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/30/20 at 3:41 pm

So sad to hear this - I loved watching her in Gilligan's Island    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Dawn Wells

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/20 at 3:45 pm

But that is a well known possibility that may befall any actor in such a series. It's an occupational hazard, not a "curse".

Tell that to the cast of Hogan’s Heroes.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/30/20 at 3:54 pm

Tell that to the cast of Hogan’s Heroes.

That still doesn't explain your contention that there is a "Gilligan's Island" curse. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/20 at 5:04 pm

That still doesn't explain your contention that there is a "Gilligan's Island" curse.

Well other than every main cast member (except for Tina Louise :-*) is on the wrong side of the grass should be evidence enough.

Even bit players are gone, such as Mel Blanc, Vito Scotti, Richard Kiel, and Phil Silvers just to name a few.

Written By: nally on 12/30/20 at 6:30 pm

So sad to hear this - I loved watching her in Gilligan's Island    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Dawn Wells

I enjoyed that show too...to an extent. O0

She's the only main cast member still alive, now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/30/20 at 6:34 pm

Well other than every main cast member (except for Tina Louise :-*) is on the wrong side of the grass should be evidence enough.

Even bit players are gone, such as Mel Blanc, Vito Scotti, Richard Kiel, and Phil Silvers just to name a few.

That's evidence of nothing except the natural passage of time. You are aware this is 2020? 2021 in a day. "Gilligan's Island" premiered in 1964 which was 56 years ago. People don't live forever and some of the cast members (definitely including the guests you mention)  were over 40 even then.  Are the Three Stooges cursed because they are all gone now? How about the cast of "I Love Lucy"?  The Mamas and The Papas had their first hit in 1965 but only one of the four  is alive now. Were they "cursed"?  What about "The Dick Van Dyke Show" which premiered a year or so before "Gilligan's Island"? Is it "cursed"? Only Dick Van Dyke is still alive. And the guy who played Richie, if you want to count him. But all the other cast members are gone. Morey Amsterdam, Rose Marie, Ann Guilbert, Jerry Paris, Carl Reiner, Richard Deacon, Mary Tyler Moore etc.  What about "Bewitched" which premiered the same year as "Gilligan"? All cast members gone except the twins who played "Tabitha". That includes Elizabeth Montgomery, BOTH Darrens, Agnes Morhead, David White, BOTH Louise Tates, BOTH Mrs. Kravitzs, Mr., Kravitz, Paul Lynde, Alice Ghoistly, Reta Shaw, Estelle Winwood, Marion Lorne, etc, etc. How about "I Dream of Jeannie" which premiered in 1965? All cast members gone except Barbara Eden. That includes Larry hagman, Bill Daly, Hayden Roarke, Emmaline Harris, etc, etc. I mean REALLY. That's a LOT of curses.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/20 at 6:49 pm

That's evidence of nothing except the natural passage of time. You are aware this is 2020? 2021 in a day. "Gilligan's Island" premiered in 1964 which was 56 years ago. People don't live forever and some of the cast members (definitely including the guests you mention)  were over 40 even then.  Are the Three Stooges cursed because they are all gone now? How about the cast of "I Love Lucy"?  The Mamas and The Papas had their first hit in 1965 but only one of the four  is alive now. Were they "cursed"?  Sometimes people get sick, or just age and die.

Well, Mama Cass Elliot  died at 32, and Papa Denny Dougherty was only 66. Papa John Phillips was only 65. Certainly a run of bad luck there as nine of them came close to your typical, life expectancy.

With the Stooges, Shemp only lived to 60. Curly only made it to 48. But Moe and Larry and Curly Joe DeRita lived pretty long lives. So I’d say, “no curse” there.

Speaking of cast curses, I see yet another “Dangerous Catch” cast member has passed away. The following link accounts for ten cast deaths, and that was before the death a week or so ago of yet another DC cast member. Definitely a cast curse going on there... these were for the most part young people.

https://popculture.com/reality-tv/news/deadliest-catch-stars-who-have-died/

Don’t get me started with Diff’rent Strokes.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/30/20 at 6:55 pm

Well, Mama Cass Elliot  died at 32, and Papa Denny Dougherty was only 66. Papa John Phillips was only 65. Certainly a run of bad luck there as nine of them came close to your typical, life expectancy.

With the Stooges, Shemp only lived to 60. Curly only made it to 48. But Moe and Larry and Curly Joe DeRita lived pretty long lives. So I’d say, “no curse” there.

Speaking of cast curses, I see yet another “Dangerous Catch” cast member has passed away. The following link accounts for ten cast deaths, and that was before the death a week or so ago of yet another DC cast member. Definitely a cast curse going on there... these were for the most part young people.

In the case of John Phillips, that man tempted fate with extreme drug and alcohol abuse so much  I'm surprised he lived as long as 65. Likewise Cass Elliot who was morbidly obese and a heroin addict for much of her life. No curse there. It's called bad life choices.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/20 at 6:57 pm

That's evidence of nothing except the natural passage of time. You are aware this is 2020? 2021 in a day. "Gilligan's Island" premiered in 1964 which was 56 years ago. People don't live forever and some of the cast members (definitely including the guests you mention)  were over 40 even then.  Are the Three Stooges cursed because they are all gone now? How about the cast of "I Love Lucy"?  The Mamas and The Papas had their first hit in 1965 but only one of the four  is alive now. Were they "cursed"?  What about "The Dick Van Dyke Show" which premiered a year or so before "Gilligan's Island"? Is it "cursed"? Only Dick Van Dyke is still alive. And the guy who played Richie, if you want to count him. But all the other cast members are gone. Morey Amsterdam, Rose Marie, Ann Guilbert, Jerry Paris, Carl Reiner, Richard Deacon, Mary Tyler Moore etc.  What about "Bewitched" which premiered the same year as "Gilligan"? All cast members gone except the twins who played "Tabitha". That includes Elizabeth Montgomery, BOTH Darrens, Agnes Morhead, David White, BOTH Louise Tates, BOTH Mrs. Kravitzs, Mr., Kravitz, Paul Lynde, Alice Ghoistly, Reta Shaw, Estelle Winwood, Marion Lorne, etc, etc. How about "I Dream of Jeannie" which premiered in 1965? All cast members gone except Barbara Eden. That includes Larry hagman, Bill Daly, Hayden Roarke, Emmaline Harris, etc, etc. I mean REALLY. That's a LOT of curses.

Don't forget the 1915 movie the Tramp with Charlie Chaplin. That must be cursed because EVERYONE from that movie has died.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/30/20 at 7:04 pm

Don't forget the 1915 movie the Tramp with Charlie Chaplin. That must be cursed because EVERYONE from that movie has died.

Cat

And "Gone With The Wind" from 1940.  ;D  ;D

Honestly. If  the cast members from a show like "Gilligan's Island" die over a period of 57 years between the ages of 68 and 90, it seems like a very natural course of events to me.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/20 at 3:22 am

Only one person remains, Todd Bridges.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/20 at 6:41 am

Cat

You got a point there.  The cast definitely had bad luck.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/20 at 7:01 am

According to the below link, there are still 10 GWTW cast members still with us.  So I'd say "no curse".

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls038381152/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/20 at 11:46 am

Honestly. If  the cast members from a show like "Gilligan's Island" die over a period of 57 years between the ages of 68 and 90, it seems like a very natural course of events to me.

And there was the Wizard of Oz.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/20 at 12:06 pm

And there was the Wizard of Oz.

Cat

Back when I lived in Indiana, the town of Chesterton had an annual Wizard of Oz reunion festival.  The center of attention were the various Munchkins who would make their appearance.  Upwards of 100,000 people would show up for the event, in a town whose population is only 13,000.  The event ran until 2012 when they ran out of living munchkins who could make the trip.

But... for 2021 the festival is being resurrected, with the main attraction being one Ms. Mary Ellen St, Aubin, who is 100 years old and a "Munchkin by marriage", having been married to Parnell, who actually was in the movie.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2021-chesterton-wizard-of-oz-days-tickets-86291394885

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/20 at 12:49 pm

According to the below link, there are still 10 GWTW cast members still with us.  So I'd say "no curse".

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls038381152/

Do we know what causes these curses? Are they supernatural or man made? Without the curse, all the cast members of Gilligan's Island who died over a period of 57 years at ages ranging from 68 to 90 would still be alive. Maybe now that we've got a vaccine for the virus the scientific and medical people can be freed up to start working on a cure for the curse of cast members of tv shows and movies who somehow die over a period of more than half a century.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/20 at 12:54 pm

Do we know what causes these curses? Are they supernatural or man made?

If I knew that, I'd be on a beach somewhere, kicking back and enjoying my wealth.  And streaming Hogan's Heroes and Diff'rent Strokes reruns to my iPad.  ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/20 at 1:18 pm

If I knew that, I'd be on a beach somewhere, kicking back and enjoying my wealth.  And streaming Hogan's Heroes and Diff'rent Strokes reruns to my iPad.  ;)

;D

Written By: Contigo on 01/28/21 at 2:26 pm

Had the hots for her when Gilligan's Island was on. She was sweet and beautiful .

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/28/21 at 4:11 pm

Had the hots for her when Gilligan's Island was on. She was sweet and beautiful .

Oh heck yeah...,,

Subject: Mary Ann leaves the island

Written By: Dude111 on 01/29/21 at 1:15 pm

Yes this is very sad.....

Check for new replies or respond here...