inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Apted: TV documentary pioneer and film-maker dies aged 79

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/21 at 2:28 am

Film director Michael Apted, best known for the Up series of TV documentaries following the lives of 14 people every seven years, has died aged 79.

He also directed Coal Miner's Daughter, Gorillas In The Mist and the 1999 Bond movie The World Is Not Enough.

The original 7 Up in 1964 set out to document the life prospects of a range of children from all walks of life.

The show was inspired by the Aristotle quote "give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man".

The first 7 Up show was followed by 14 Up at the start of the next decade, which interviewed the same children as teenagers - and the pattern was set right up until 63 Up in 2019.

Throughout all those intervening years ITV viewers became engrossed with the stories of private school trio Andrew, Charles and John, of Jackie who went through two divorces, of Nick who went from jobless and homeless to Liberal Democrat councillor, and of working class chatterbox Tony, whose life ambition was to become a jockey.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55597263

Subject: Re: Michael Apted: TV documentary pioneer and film-maker dies aged 79

Written By: karen on 01/11/21 at 11:05 am

I love the Up series. I did O level Sociology and we watched the first few in lessons. 28 Up came out around that time

Subject: Re: Michael Apted: TV documentary pioneer and film-maker dies aged 79

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/21 at 11:18 am

I love the Up series. I did O level Sociology and we watched the first few in lessons. 28 Up came out around that time
O0

I saw only a few of them, and wished to had seen them all.

We were passing Trafalgar Square (in London) on the day the location shooting of the film "Enigma" (2001). Set in wartime London, the extras were wearing 1940's clothing and the vehicles on the road were from that time. The scene was to be for the opening and closing of the movie. That day Michael Apted was not there and the second Unit Director was in charge.

https://www.reelstreets.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/enigma002.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...