inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Phil Spector leaves the studio (and the prison cell)

Written By: nally on 01/17/21 at 11:29 am

Phil Spector, famous music producer and controversial figure, has died at the age of 81 last night.

He was a producer, musician, and songwriter who developed the Wall of Sound, a music production formula he described as a Wagnerian approach to rock and roll. After spending three decades in semi-retirement, in 2009, he was convicted for the 2003 murder of the actress Lana Clarkson and was sentenced to 19 years to life in prison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/17/arts/music/phil-spector-dead.html

Subject: Re: Phil Spector leaves the studio (and the prison cell)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/17/21 at 1:59 pm

Wow.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/17/21 at 2:16 pm

Bummer. I need to call one of my coworkers. She’s buddies with Phil’s ex-wife.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/17/21 at 2:17 pm

Another COVID-19 death.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/17/21 at 2:34 pm

Phil Spector, famous music producer and controversial figure, has died at the age of 81 last night.

He was a producer, musician, and songwriter who developed the Wall of Sound, a music production formula he described as a Wagnerian approach to rock and roll. After spending three decades in semi-retirement, in 2009, he was convicted for the 2003 murder of the actress Lana Clarkson and was sentenced to 19 years to life in prison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/17/arts/music/phil-spector-dead.html

R.I.P. Phil Spector. :\'(

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/17/21 at 4:51 pm

Say what you will (He was guilty as hell), the man was a genius. You can't take The Wall of Sound, Ronnie Spector, those Christmas songs, Let It Be, or Darlene Love away from him.

RIP  :\'(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/17/21 at 6:20 pm

Say what you will (He was guilty as hell), the man was a genius. You can't take The Wall of Sound, Ronnie Spector, those Christmas songs, Let It Be, or Darlene Love away from him.

RIP  :\'(

And all the early Beatles solo work...he co-produced "Instant Karma", "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band",  the "Imagine" album, "All Things Must Pass", which includes "My Sweet Lord",  John & Yoko's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" and "The Concert For Bangla Desh" album, among other things.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 01/17/21 at 10:32 pm

it's revolting watching people going "wall of sound, people". WHAT ABOUT THE WOMAN HE KILLED, ARSEHOLES! THE OTHER WOMEN HE ABUSED?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/17/21 at 11:53 pm

He was a musical genius with a huge impact - something to celebrate.  Sad    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

(This despite yes the horrible things he was convicted of.  That's why he was in prison, appropriately paying for his crimes.)

R.I.P. Phil Spector

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/18/21 at 1:03 am

it's revolting watching people going "wall of sound, people". WHAT ABOUT THE WOMAN HE KILLED, ARSEHOLES! THE OTHER WOMEN HE ABUSED?

Oh I agree, the good things he's done are overshadowed by the woman he killed. Same goes for other celebrities who turned out rotten. Their accomplishments don't outshine the fact some of them were bad people in my book.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/18/21 at 4:06 am

I suppose you don’t like it when people talk about O.J. Simpson’s football heroics.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/18/21 at 9:02 am

Being the music (and history) fan that I am, Phil Spector's good outweighs his bad. As far as OJ, you can't take The Naked Gun away from me. Also his appearance in Roots is so small, who cares? But I'm not sure I'd run out to see a new OJ movie. A documentary, sure.

And Roman Polanski, I just have to separate the art from the artist. I have a tiny bit of sympathy for him given Sharon Tate, but nothing excuses what he did. Rosemary's Baby is just too good to cancel. And Chinatown is a 70s classic, which I'll definitely see if the opportunity arises. The Pianist was pretty good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/21 at 9:34 am

And all the early Beatles solo work...he co-produced "Instant Karma", "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band",  the "Imagine" album, "All Things Must Pass", which includes "My Sweet Lord",  John & Yoko's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" and "The Concert For Bangla Desh" album, among other things.
The same for me, especially "Let It Be"

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/18/21 at 7:04 pm

He was a musical genius with a huge impact - something to celebrate.  Sad    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

(This despite yes the horrible things he was convicted of.  That's why he was in prison, appropriately paying for his crimes.)

R.I.P. Phil Spector

Very well said.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/19/21 at 8:41 am

The Guardian headline put it succinctly--- "Phil Spector brought joy to pop music – and misery to so many lives".

Check for new replies or respond here...