inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/21 at 6:28 am

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."

Last month, the Duke of Edinburgh left hospital after a month-long stay for treatment.

He underwent a procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at another London hospital - St Bartholomew's.

Prince Philip and the Queen had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11437314

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Subject: Re: Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/09/21 at 8:16 am

Gone all too soon...  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/21 at 8:21 am

Gone all too soon...  :\'(
He, and we were hoping that he would reach what would have been his 100th birthday in June.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/21 at 9:04 am

As the Queen's consort, the Duke of Edinburgh is expected to be given a ceremonial royal funeral rather than a state one, according to protocol.

State funerals are usually reserved for the sovereign.

His funeral is expected to take place at St George's Chapel in Windsor - although the long-held arrangements have been amended in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

Ceremonial funerals are also held for the heir to the throne and for members of the royal family who hold high military rank. The Queen Mother had a ceremonial funeral in 2002.

State funerals have, on rare occasions by order of the monarch and by a vote in Parliament providing the funds, been held for those other than sovereigns, including Lord Nelson and wartime Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill.

Both can include a lying in state - as the Queen Mother's did, although Philip's will not - and a military procession.

Written By: nally on 04/09/21 at 9:12 am

He, and we were hoping that he would reach what would have been his 100th birthday in June.

But he missed it by just two months :\'( :\'(

Written By: violet_shy on 04/09/21 at 9:29 am

Oh no.  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/09/21 at 9:41 am

Oh no, such sad news    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Rest In Peace, Prince Philip

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/21 at 9:49 am

The arrangements for the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral have not yet been announced by Buckingham Palace, but we already know that he will not have a state funeral.

The funeral will not be preceded by a lying-in-state and Prince Philip's body will lie at rest in Windsor Castle ahead of the funeral in St George's Chapel, according to the College of Arms.

"This is in line with custom and with His Royal Highness’s wishes," a statement on its website adds.

"The funeral arrangements have been revised in view of the prevailing circumstances arising from the Covid-19 pandemic and it is regretfully requested that members of the public do not attempt to attend or participate in any of the events that make up the funeral."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/21 at 1:04 pm

I can't say that I am not surprised given his health the last few months and his age. He did live a LONG life. (He was the same age as my grandmother when she died-well, my grandmother missed her 100th by 6 months and her wish was that we have the party without her-which we did.)

I feel bad for the Queen losing her companion of more than 70 years.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/21 at 5:59 pm

RIP to Prince Philip.

Written By: nally on 04/09/21 at 6:17 pm

I can't say that I am not surprised given his health the last few months and his age. He did live a LONG life. (He was the same age as my grandmother when she died-well, my grandmother missed her 100th by 6 months and her wish was that we have the party without her-which we did.)

I feel bad for the Queen losing her companion of more than 70 years.

Cat

You're absolutely right, he did live a long life... and to be married to the Queen for that long was also certainly an accomplishment.

My maternal grandma would have been 100 this year, but she's been gone for 7 years now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/21 at 1:23 am

Gun salutes to mark the death of the Duke of Edinburgh are due to take place later across the UK, in Gibraltar and from warships at sea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56698794

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/21 at 4:06 am

The sporting world has been paying tribute to Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, who has died aged 99.

Periods of silence were held before football matches, including Fulham's Premier League match against Wolves and England women's friendly in France.

A two-minute silence was held at Aintree and during county cricket fixtures earlier on Friday.

Flags were flown at half-mast at a number of venues, including Wembley and all nine county cricket grounds.

There will be a minute's silence before all Premier League matches this weekend and players will wear black armbands. All Scottish Professional Football League clubs will also observe a minute's silence this weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56692293

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/10/21 at 5:29 am

I wonder if the Queen will remarry? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/10/21 at 7:32 am

No I don't think she will.

Subject: Prince Philip: Funeral to take place on 17 April

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/21 at 12:04 pm

A national minute's silence will mark the start of the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral next Saturday at 15:00 BST at St George's Chapel, in Windsor, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The arrangements, which "very much" reflect the duke's wishes, have been adapted in light of the Covid pandemic.

The Duke of Sussex will fly in from his home in the US to join other members of the Royal Family at the ceremony. Meghan has been advised by doctor not to fly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56702886

Subject: Re: Prince Philip: Funeral to take place on 17 April

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/21 at 1:01 pm

A national minute's silence will mark the start of the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral next Saturday at 15:00 BST at St George's Chapel, in Windsor, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The arrangements, which "very much" reflect the duke's wishes, have been adapted in light of the Covid pandemic.

The Duke of Sussex will fly in from his home in the US to join other members of the Royal Family at the ceremony. Meghan has been advised by doctor not to fly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56702886

Much love, respect, and honor to Prince Philip - may he receive the most honorable and fitting tributes.  And I pray that the Queen would receive comfort from the love shown to her beloved.

Subject: Re: Prince Philip: Funeral to take place on 17 April

Written By: nally on 04/10/21 at 1:17 pm

Much love, respect, and honor to Prince Philip - may he receive the most honorable and fitting tributes.  And I pray that the Queen would receive comfort from the love shown to her beloved.

My thoughts exactly.

Subject: Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

Written By: Dude111 on 04/10/21 at 5:33 pm

Very sad :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/21 at 5:45 pm

You can contact her and tell her that you are available.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/10/21 at 6:29 pm

You can contact her and tell her that you are available.

Cat

Not a bad idea. But since my ancestry is from the House of Stuart, the queen would likely look down upon that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/11/21 at 9:17 am

The Queen has described the death of the Duke of Edinburgh as "having left a huge void in her life", her son the Duke of York has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56710086

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/21 at 8:14 am

Prince William pays tribute to the “extraordinary” Duke of Edinburgh, adding: “I will miss my Grandpa, but I know he would want us to get on with the job.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56721559

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/21 at 8:37 am

How is Prince Harry able to attend his grandfather's funeral?

Subject: Prince Philip: Duke's four children to walk alongside coffin at funeral

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/21 at 11:57 am

The Duke of Edinburgh's four children will walk alongside his coffin at his funeral on Saturday.

Princes Charles, Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne, as well as grandsons Princes William and Harry, will walk alongside a modified Land Rover hearse to St George's Chapel in Windsor.

The guest list for the service includes 30 people, with three German relatives.

Those attending will be in morning coats with medals, or day dress, but not wear military uniform.

The congregation will put on masks and socially distance in line with Covid lockdown rules, with the Queen seated alone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56761074

Check for new replies or respond here...