inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins dies at 90

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/21 at 2:42 pm

Michael Collins - one of the three crew members of the first manned mission to the Moon, Apollo 11 in 1969 - has died aged 90, his family say.

He died on Wednesday after "a valiant battle with cancer. He spent his final days peacefully, with his family by his side," they said.

Collins had stayed in lunar orbit as his colleagues Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the Moon.

Aldrin, 91, is now the only surviving member of the mission.

Paying tribute to Collins, Aldrin wrote in a tweet: "Dear Mike, Wherever you have been or will be, you will always have the Fire to Carry us deftly to new heights and to the future. We will miss you. May you Rest In Peace."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56921562

Subject: Re: Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins dies at 90

Written By: Contigo on 04/28/21 at 3:53 pm

We stayed glued to the TV set all evening that night , watching in amazement as the Astronauts walked on the moon . I remember my sister holding on to her pillow as we watched our black and white TV .
Those guys were heroes to so many of us kids, as it was
to this 12 year old.

Godspeed Michael Collins !

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/21 at 4:26 pm

We stayed glued to the TV set all evening that night , watching in amazement as the Astronauts walked on the moon . I remember my sister holding on to her pillow as we watched our black and white TV .
Those guys were heroes to so many of us kids, as it was
to this 12 year old.

Godspeed Michael Collins !
Exactly how it is for our generation, remembering walking the b/w images on television.

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/28/21 at 5:17 pm

Apollo 11 was such a major event for me - sad to say goodbye  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Michael Collins

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/28/21 at 6:22 pm

The next morning, my mother told me about it. My reaction was to duck thinking they were right over us on the roof. (Ok, I was a bit of a stupid child.)  I think it might have been later that day or the next day, I was outside. It was light out but the moon was out. I remember looking up at it thinking, "Wow, there are people up there."

The date will always be etched into my brain. My sister had a pennant about that historical event hanging on her wall in her bedroom. I slept in her room many times and used to stare at that pennant a lot.

It looked like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d4/6e/7e/d46e7eb4beecaa79c7773b9cbd300d44.jpg

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/28/21 at 7:15 pm

The next morning, my mother told me about it. My reaction was to duck thinking they were right over us on the roof. (Ok, I was a bit of a stupid child.)  I think it might have been later that day or the next day, I was outside. It was light out but the moon was out. I remember looking up at it thinking, "Wow, there are people up there."

The date will always be etched into my brain. My sister had a pennant about that historical event hanging on her wall in her bedroom. I slept in her room many times and used to stare at that pennant a lot.

It looked like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d4/6e/7e/d46e7eb4beecaa79c7773b9cbd300d44.jpg

Cat

That pennant is cool!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...