inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Norm McDonald’s Final Weekend Update

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/14/21 at 2:19 pm

The legendary SNL cast member, Norm McDonald, has passed away from cancer at the age of 61.  :\'(

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/norm-macdonald-dead-dies-snl-1235064570/

Subject: Re: Norm McDonald’s Final Weekend Update

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/14/21 at 2:38 pm

Oh wow. Never cared too much for him but I never wished ill on him. It is very sad.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/14/21 at 3:27 pm

The legendary SNL cast member, Norm McDonald, has passed away from cancer at the age of 61.  :\'(

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/norm-macdonald-dead-dies-snl-1235064570/

RIP Norm McDonald. :\'(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/14/21 at 3:57 pm

Oh wow. Never cared too much for him but I never wished ill on him. It is very sad.

Cat

His brand of humor was an acquired taste.  He got canned from SNL because they thought he wasn't funny.

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/14/21 at 4:41 pm

His brand of humor was an acquired taste.  He got canned from SNL because they thought he wasn't funny.

I'm afraid he wasn't. This was finally proven when he heard rumor that he was being dropped, and then guaranteed it with an F-Bomb-laden rant during a live broadcast of Weekend Update.
His one leading role in the movie "Dirty Work" tanked at the box office as well. I can honestly say that the only time McDonald made me laugh was voicing Lucky the Dog opposite Eddie Murphy in 1998's "Dr. Doolittle". Not that I ever wished him dead, it seems the tiger finally came for him.
"Coming right up, one order of man, side o'dog."
May he rest in peace.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/14/21 at 8:28 pm

I'm afraid he wasn't. This was finally proven when he heard rumor that he was being dropped, and then guaranteed it with an F-Bomb-laden rant during a live broadcast of Weekend Update.
His one leading role in the movie "Dirty Work" tanked at the box office as well. I can honestly say that the only time McDonald made me laugh was voicing Lucky the Dog opposite Eddie Murphy in 1998's "Dr. Doolittle". Not that I ever wished him dead, it seems the tiger finally came for him.
"Coming right up, one order of man, side o'dog."
May he rest in peace.

Your Pal,
Doc

It was probably not helpful that he smoked like a chimney.  But at the same time, it seems that cancer has taken a lot of good people.  Even the ones who were stupid and didn't care if they worked or not.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/14/21 at 9:37 pm

Norm was awesome. His sense of humor was rude and caustic and abrasive but he was one of the funniest people ever to appear on SNL.

Rumor has it that the real reason Norm got fired from SNL was because he relentlessly hammered O.J. Simpson on Weekend Update during the trial and Don Ohlmeyer, who was president of NBC's West Coast division and who was good friends with O.J, forced Norm out because he was deeply offended by Norm's jokes about the trial.

R.I.P. Norm. You were the greatest. Screw the haters.  8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/14/21 at 9:40 pm

Norm was awesome. His sense of humor was rude and caustic and abrasive but he was one of the funniest people ever to appear on SNL.

Glad to see somebody post something complimentary. This was becoming a “hey, you sucked” thread.  :-[

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/14/21 at 11:16 pm

Glad to see somebody post something complimentary. This was becoming a “hey, you sucked” thread.  :-[

I didn't say that I hated him. I said his brand of humor was an acquired taste.

Written By: nally on 09/14/21 at 11:20 pm

R.I.P Norm :\'(

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/15/21 at 1:05 am

Total shock to wake up to. I didn't follow his post-SNL career that closely, but I'll always remember his tenure fondly. I started watching SNL in 1995 or '96. I took about a season off because I may have been a bit too young to appreciate the humor, but came back for good when TV Guide (Remember them?) did a cover story about how the show was satirizing the Clinton scandal and impeachment. I loved Norm's Bob Dole, Burt Reynolds Turd Ferguson, Larry King and David Letterman, and of course Weekend Update.

I'll never forget his monologue when he hosted in 1999:

So then, a year and a half ago, I had sort of a disagreement with the management at NBC. I wanted to keep my job. Right? And they felt the exact opposite. They fired me because they said that I wasn’t funny. Now, with most jobs, I could have had a hell of a lawsuit on my hands for that, but see, this is a comedy show. So, they got me. But, now, this is the weird part, it’s only a year and a half later, and now, they ask me to host the show. So I wondered, how did I go from being not funny enough to be even allowed in the building, to being so funny that I’m now hosting the show? How did I suddenly get so goddamn funny?! It was inexplicable to me, because, let’s face it, a year and a half is not enough time for a dude to learn how to be funny! Then it occurred to me, I haven’t gotten funnier, the show has gotten really bad! So, yeah, I’m funny compared to, you know, what you’ll see later. Okay, so let’s recap, the bad news is: I’m still not funny. The good news is: The show blows! Alright, folks, we’ve got a terrible show for you tonight! Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggie Dogg and Eminem are here. We’ll be right back!

RIP Norm  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 09/15/21 at 4:21 am

Didn't he do that Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial portraying Colonel Sanders? ???

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/15/21 at 12:00 pm

Didn't he do that Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial portraying Colonel Sanders? ???

Several, which I remember a fellow comedian calling something 'to be afraid of'.
Then again, he was more believable as the Colonel than Reba McEntire in drag.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/15/21 at 7:53 pm

The Awesomeness of Norm.

lL0WayC7jW0

;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/15/21 at 8:00 pm

The Awesomeness of Norm,  Part II.

ckHQhxQ13PA

Check for new replies or respond here...