inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney Star Tommy Kirk Dies

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/30/21 at 12:40 pm

Tommy Kirk, the former Disney star of such films as Old Yeller and Swiss Family Robinson, has died. He was 79. Kirk was huge for Disney, as big or bigger than Kirk Douglas, until a 1964 drug arrest and rumors of his homosexuality changed his image. According to Variety, Disney chose not to renew his contract after discovering that Kirk had gotten a boyfriend while filming The Misadventures of Merlin Jones.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/09/tommy-kirk-former-disney-teen-idol-is-dead.html

That was Disney for you. They fired Tommy Kirk for being gay. They also used to ban men with long hair from their parks. Now they bend over backwards to appear "woke" but I suspect their core is still the same.

My favorite film that Tommy Kirk starred in was the unintentionally bad  "Village of The Giants". It also starred a young Beau Bridges, Johnny Crawford from "The Rifleman" and Ron Howard. If you haven't seen it it's a must. It was also featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000. 1960s drive in movies were full of fodder like this.

Subject: Re: Disney Star Tommy Kirk Dies

Written By: violet_shy on 09/30/21 at 2:30 pm

May he rest in peace.  :\'(

Subject: Disney Star Tommy Kirk Dies

Written By: Dude111 on 09/30/21 at 10:06 pm

Very sad :(

Written By: Contigo on 10/05/21 at 6:11 am

Old Yeller has to be one of the saddest movie endings I've ever seen.
So long, Tommy Kirk.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/21 at 1:59 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...