inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Central Perk Mourns James Michael Tyler

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 5:28 pm

James Michael Tyler, who made his bones portraying barista Gunther in the hit NBC TV sitcom Friends, has passed away from prostrate cancer at the age of 59.  :\'(.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/james-michael-tyler-dead-friends-actor-gunther-1235096487/

He was widely recognized as “the seventh Friend”.  8)

Subject: Re: Central Perk Mourns James Michael Tyler

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/21 at 5:36 pm

I really don't understand why anyone should die from prostrate cancer. That is one of the most curable forms of cancer out there.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 5:58 pm

I really don't understand why anyone should die from prostrate cancer. That is one of the most curable forms of cancer out there.

Cat

Deaths from it are rare, but it does happen. I imagine that “late detection” is a key factor. Gunther was diagnosed in 2018 from what I’ve read. Dan Fogelberg expired from the same disease.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/24/21 at 5:59 pm

Cat

That's what got Frank Zappa.

By the way, per his own wishes, Frank Zappa lies in an unmarked grave.

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2007/20/1141_116941335740.jpg?v=1634287260

Written By: nally on 10/24/21 at 6:20 pm

James Michael Tyler, who made his bones portraying barista Gunther in the hit NBC TV sitcom Friends, has passed away from prostrate cancer at the age of 59.  :\'(.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/james-michael-tyler-dead-friends-actor-gunther-1235096487/

He was widely recognized as “the seventh Friend”.  8)

Poor guy. :\'( In a sense I thought of him as the 7th Friend too...but then there are other recurring characters who could've had that honor.

Deaths from it are rare, but it does happen. I imagine that “late detection” is a key factor. Gunther was diagnosed in 2018 from what I’ve read.

...which is kinda sad.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/21 at 6:25 pm

Deaths from it are rare, but it does happen. I imagine that “late detection” is a key factor. Gunther was diagnosed in 2018 from what I’ve read. Dan Fogelberg expired from the same disease.

I know people die from it including (my teen heartthrob) Bill Bixby. I am VERY glad that my present heartthrob (Carlos) beat it and has been cancer free for over 10 years now.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 6:28 pm

Poor guy. :\'( In a sense I thought of him as the 7th Friend too...but then there are other recurring characters who could've had that honor.

He made appearances in 148 of Friends' 236 episodes and was the show's most-frequently-appearing recurring character actor.

Written By: nally on 10/24/21 at 6:31 pm

He made appearances in 148 of Friends' 236 episodes and was the show's most-frequently-appearing recurring character actor.

Well then, he's the one who officially gets that honor. O0

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/24/21 at 7:10 pm

I know people die from it including (my teen heartthrob) Bill Bixby. I am VERY glad that my present heartthrob (Carlos) beat it and has been cancer free for over 10 years now.

Cat

Speaking of Bill Bixby, I have been watching reruns of "My Favorite Martian" on the FREE streaming channel Tubi. A great show. And very "early mid-60s".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/24/21 at 7:13 pm

He had unrequited love for Rachel. In the final episode they managed to wrap everything up, including that. He finally told her, and it went right over her head. Poor guy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 7:17 pm

Cat

There’s a Wikipedia page listing famous deaths from the ailment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deaths_from_prostate_cancer

Written By: Howard on 10/25/21 at 4:32 am

He never really had much of a speaking role in a lot of the episodes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/21 at 7:14 am

He never really had much of a speaking role in a lot of the episodes.
He did play his role well!

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...