inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Breaking: Peter Aykroyd dies

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/21/21 at 12:06 am

Announced at the end of SNL tonight. Dan Aykroyd's brother, fellow Second City comedian, and SNL cast member from 1979-1980.

RIP

https://deadline.com/2021/11/peter-aykroyd-dead-saturday-night-live-pays-tribute-to-former-cast-member-writer-1234878310/

Subject: Re: Breaking: Peter Aykroyd dies

Written By: nally on 11/21/21 at 11:17 am

R.I.P. to Dan's younger brother. :\'(

He had just turned 66 a couple days ago.

This is going to be off topic (in a sense), but I also spotted Dominican baseball shortstop Julio Lugo on the "recent deaths" list as well. He, too, had a recent birthday (46th on Tuesday), but kicked the bucket one day beforehand (Monday) due to heart attack. :\'(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/21/21 at 11:25 am

R.I.P. to Dan's younger brother. :\'(

He had just turned 66 a couple days ago.

Does he have any claim to fame aside from having a famous sibling? I never heard of him. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/21 at 11:54 am

Does he have any claim to fame aside from having a famous sibling? I never heard of him.

Yeah I think he was on SNL for a year. And Donna Dixon is his sister in law.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/21/21 at 12:00 pm

Yeah I think he was on SNL for a year. And Donna Dixon is his sister in law.

Those are both very tenuous claims to fame.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/21 at 1:59 pm

Announced at the end of SNL tonight. Dan Aykroyd's brother, fellow Second City comedian, and SNL cast member from 1979-1980.

RIP

https://deadline.com/2021/11/peter-aykroyd-dead-saturday-night-live-pays-tribute-to-former-cast-member-writer-1234878310/

RIP to Peter Aykroyd.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/21 at 2:33 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/21 at 3:01 pm

Those are both very tenuous claims to fame.

He was also in Doctor Detroit, Second City Television, Coneheads, Spies Like Us, Kids of the Round Table, and Dragnet. He was nearly legendary.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/21/21 at 3:13 pm

He was also in Doctor Detroit, Second City Television, Coneheads, Spies Like Us, Kids of the Round Table, and Dragnet. He was nearly legendary.

If that's "nearly legendary" then so is Joe Blow who lives down the street from me.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously, I'm sorry the guy died and all that, but the standards for "legendary" seem to have fallen drastically.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/21 at 3:23 pm

If that's "nearly legendary" then so is Joe Blow who lives down the street from me.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously, I'm sorry the guy died and all that, but the standards for "legendary" seem to have fallen drastically.

There’s a whole Wikipedia page that covers him. That’s gotta count for something; not any old Joe Blow gets one of those.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/21/21 at 4:27 pm

There’s a whole Wikipedia page that covers him. That’s gotta count for something; not any old Joe Blow gets one of those.

Oh, they most certainly do. Along with John Q Public, John Q. Citizen and John Q. Taxpayer, or Jane Q. Public, Jane Q. Citizen, and Jane Q. Taxpayer, as well as Tom, Dick and Harry.

As well as the lesser known Joe Doakes and Joe Schmoe, which is about the category I'd put Peter Ackroyd in.  ;D  ;D  ;D

"There are various similar terms including John Q. Citizen and John Q. Taxpayer, or Jane Q. Public, Jane Q. Citizen, and Jane Q. Taxpayer for a woman. The name John Doe is used in a similar manner. The term Tom, Dick and Harry is often used to denote multiple hypothetical persons. An equivalent term is Joe Public which is used in the United Kingdom. Roughly equivalent are the names Joe Blow, Joe Six-pack, and the nowadays rather less popular Joe Doakes and Joe Shmoe"

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Q._Public

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/22/21 at 11:29 am

Oh, they most certainly do. Along with John Q Public, John Q. Citizen and John Q. Taxpayer, or Jane Q. Public, Jane Q. Citizen, and Jane Q. Taxpayer, as well as Tom, Dick and Harry.

As well as the lesser known Joe Doakes and Joe Schmoe, which is about the category I'd put Peter Ackroyd in.  ;D  ;D  ;D

"There are various similar terms including John Q. Citizen and John Q. Taxpayer, or Jane Q. Public, Jane Q. Citizen, and Jane Q. Taxpayer for a woman. The name John Doe is used in a similar manner. The term Tom, Dick, and Harry is often used to denote multiple hypothetical persons. An equivalent term is Joe Public which is used in the United Kingdom. Roughly equivalent are the names Joe Blow, Joe Six-pack, and the nowadays rather less popular Joe Doakes and Joe Shmoe"

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Q._Public

Okay I think we get the idea.  Peter Aykroyd isn't nearly as popular as his brother Dan Aykroyd is .

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/22/21 at 11:45 am

Okay I think we get the idea.  Peter Aykroyd isn't nearly as popular as his brother Dan Aykroyd is .

I know, I know. I wasn't crazy about disrespecting the guy that way, but they way people were talking...I just wanted to bring some perspective.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/21 at 3:08 pm

My grandmother & great-grandfather have Wikipedia pages.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/22/21 at 6:29 pm

My grandmother & great-grandfather have Wikipedia pages.

Cat

They must have been very notable people!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/22/21 at 9:05 pm

USAToday is reporting that Peter Aykroyd died from having an untreated, my mom says that it may have been an undiagnosed, abdominal hernia.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2021/11/21/peter-aykroyd-dead-former-snl-cast-member-dan-aykroyd-brother/8710150002/#:~:text='SNL'%20alum%20Peter%20Aykroyd%20died,hernia%2C%20brother%20Dan%20Aykroyd%20says&text=Peter%20Aykroyd%2C%20a%20former%20comedian,He%20was%2066.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/21 at 2:42 pm

They must have been very notable people!

Yup. They were.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...