inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bronski Beat founder Steve Bronski dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/21 at 8:10 am

Steve Bronski, co-founder and keyboard player in 1980s pop group Bronski Beat, has died at the age of 61.

Bronski, from Glasgow, was born Steve Forrest and formed the group in 1983 with singer Jimmy Somerville and fellow-musician Larry Steinbachek.

They enjoyed UK top 10 hits with the gay anthem Smalltown Boy, Why? and a cover of Donna Summer's I Feel Love.

Somerville said: "Sad to hear Steve has died. He was a talented and a very melodic man."

The singer added: "Working with him on songs and the one song that changed our lives and touched so many other lives, was a fun and exciting time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59592187

Subject: Re: Bronski Beat founder Steve Bronski dies

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/09/21 at 9:17 am

With the death of Larry Steinbachek back in 2017, this leaves Jimmy Somerville as the sole surviving original band member.  :-\\

What got him? COVID? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/21 at 10:39 am

With the death of Larry Steinbachek back in 2017, this leaves Jimmy Somerville as the sole surviving original band member.  :-\\

What got him? COVID? ???
No cause of death has been declared yet.

Written By: nally on 12/20/21 at 8:58 pm

And if I’m not mistaken, Jimmy is the lead vocalist on “Small Town Boy”?

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/21 at 11:28 pm

This is sad news.  Their 1984 album 'The Age of Consent' was quite popular here in Canada, reaching the Top 10 and spawning 2 Canadian Top 40 hits with Smalltown Boy and Why?.  One of my favourite albums!

Check for new replies or respond here...