inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Berlin Airlift Pilot Gail Halvorsen dead

Written By: Elor on 02/17/22 at 12:57 pm

Most people here won't be familiar with that name but the people of Berlin knew him well.
He was a transporter pilot during the Soviet blockade of West Berlin shortly after WWII where the city had to be supplied through air.  When he saw the destroyed city and the suffering of the people he decided to do even more than just fly his regular goods into the city. He wanted to make life a bit better for the children and started dropping chocolate and other candy from his plane when he approached Berlin's airports. He used self made parachutes for that. He became sort of a legend to the children of Berlin of that time.

Blue skies Sir.  :\'(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gail_Halvorsen

Subject: Re: Berlin Airlift Pilot Gail Halvorsen dead

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/17/22 at 1:12 pm

I hadn't heard of him but he sounds like a hero.  Sad to hear of his passing    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Gail Halvorsen

Subject: Re: Berlin Airlift Pilot Gail Halvorsen dead

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/22 at 1:20 pm

So sad.

When I first heard about him, my first thought was that his flying exploits would be a perfect film for Steven Spielberg.

Check for new replies or respond here...