inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Here Comes the Hurt Again - Mickey Gilley Gone at 86

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/07/22 at 4:59 pm

Legendary country & western crooner and nightclub owner, {b]Mickey Gilley has passed away at the age of 86.  :\'(

https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/07/country-star-mickey-gilley-dead-dies-urban-cowboy/

Back in the late 70s and early 80s,  Mickey’s club (Gilley’s Club, “the world’s biggest honky tonk”) was the place to, party in the Houston area, and it was the setting for much of the classic flick Urban Cowboy. 8)

He is survived, amongst others, by cousins rock ‘n roll pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis, and evangelist Jimmy Swaggart.

Subject: Re: Here Comes the Hurt Again - Mickey Gilley Gone at 86

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/22 at 7:54 pm

I wasn't and still am not a fan of Honky Tonk or Country music, but he did some real good ones that I found quite enjoyable, mostly his his cover of Stand By me for the film Urban Cowboy which was fantastic!

R.I.P.

Written By: nally on 05/08/22 at 10:18 pm

I wasn't and still am not a fan of Honky Tonk or Country music, but he did some real good ones that I found quite enjoyable, mostly his his cover of Stand By Me for the film Urban Cowboy which was fantastic!

R.I.P.

I'm not really a fan either, but I've heard of the guy, and I dont think I've heard any of his stuff...but it's sad to see him go. (Still, 86 is a good long lifespan.)

Legendary country & western crooner and nightclub owner, Mickey Gilley has passed away at the age of 86.  :\'(

Fixed

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/22 at 5:26 am

I'm not really a fan either, but I've heard of the guy, and I dont think I've heard any of his stuff...but it's sad to see him go. (Still, 86 is a good long lifespan.)

Fixed

Mickey’s family was overflowing with talent. In addition to Jimmy Swaggart and Jerry Lee Lewis, he was also cousin to Carl McVoy, who taught Jerry Lee all his cool piano licks.  8)

Record producer Sam Phillips offered Jimmy Swaggart a recording contract due to his prodigious singing and piano skills, but Jimmy declined, stating that he had a calling to be a preacher instead.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/22 at 5:20 am

Here’s a link to Mick’s Find-A-Grave page:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/239541503/mickey-leroy-gilley

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/08/22 at 1:51 pm

I'm not a fan either but I know of him as a Country music icon.  He will be missed  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Mickey Gilley

Check for new replies or respond here...