inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ronnie Hawkins Plays His Last Set…

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/22 at 12:42 pm

Ronnie Hawkins, the southern U.S. rockabilly artist who moved to Canada and became godfather to a generation of influential rock musicians, has died at 87.  :\'(

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2022/05/29/cp-newsalert-rockabilly-musician-ronnie-hawkins-dies-at-87.html

From his Wikipedia page:

On advice from Conway Twitty, Hawkins began touring Canada in 1958. His first gig there was at the Golden Rail Tavern in Hamilton, Ontario, where he became an overnight success. Hawkins decided to move to Canada, and in 1964 became a permanent resident, eventually making Peterborough, Ontario area, his home in 1970. Hawkins moved from their Stoney Lake Manor in Douro-Dummer after selling in 2017 to live in Peterborough.

After the move, the Hawks, with the exception of Hawkins and drummer Levon Helm, dropped out of the band. Their vacancies were filled by Canadians Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel and Garth Hudson, all hailing from Southwestern Ontario. Helm and the rest of those Hawks would leave Hawkins in 1964 to form an act of their own, which eventually came to be named The Band.
  8)

Point of trivia… I used to work with a guy who played backup guitar to Conway Twitty.  :)

Subject: Re: Ronnie Hawkins Plays His Last Set…

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/29/22 at 2:06 pm

Sad to hear this  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

I don't personally know his music well but I know he's a legend.  My best recollection of him is his performance on The Last Waltz.  He seemed bigger than life.

R.I.P. Ronnie Hawkins

Subject: Re: Ronnie Hawkins Plays His Last Set...

Written By: nally on 05/29/22 at 2:07 pm

Sad to hear this  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

I don't personally know his music well but I know he's a legend.

Neither do I; so do I. (I've heard of him, though.)

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/22 at 5:32 pm

Ronnie was an absolute legend in Canada.  Most of his success occurred before I came to be, but I was around for his fantastic hit 1981 cover of (Stuck In) Lodi.  He appeared on the legendary We Are The World album on the song Tears Are Not Enough by Northern Lights which was a #1 single here, basically our version of Band-Aid

He appears at 1:46 in this clip singing with fellow Canadian country singers Carroll Baker and Murray McLauchlan
VJN3u1wAWIk

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/22 at 6:00 pm

Ronnie was an absolute legend in Canada.  Most of his success occurred before I came to be, but I was around for his fantastic hit 1981 cover of (Stuck In) Lodi.  He appeared on the legendary We Are The World album on the song Tears Are Not Enough by Northern Lights which was a #1 single here, basically our version of Band-Aid

He appears at 1:46 in this clip singing with fellow Canadian country singers Carroll Baker and Murray McLauchlan

Sadly, Céline Dion had not yet seen her heyday yet.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...