inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hell Has A New Angel - Sonny Barger Patches Out at 83

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/22 at 5:51 pm

Legendary founder of the notorious Hells Angels motorcycle gangclub, Sonny Barger, has passed away after a bout of cancer at the age of 83.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/30/hells-angels-founder-sonny-barger-dies-after-cancer-battle/

Sonny was on a frequent and first name basis with the popo…

In 1972, he and three others were acquitted of murdering a Texas drug dealer and setting a home on fire.

In 1973, Barger was sentenced to 10 years to life behind bars after he was convicted of possession of narcotics and a weapon by a convicted felon, and was paroled in ‘77.

In 1979, he was among 33 people indicted on charges of violating the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act< but he dodged the charges and was acquitted.

In 1988 Barger was convicted of conspiracy and was sentenced to four years in jail.

Back in ‘68, He was one of the Hells Angels present at the legendary Rolling Stones' Altamont Free Concert where concert goers and musicians alike were subjected to violence from the bikers, including Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane who was knocked unconscious and audience member Meredith Hunter who was stabbed to death. After the concert and critical media attention given to the HAMC, Barger went on a local California radio station to justify the actions of the Hells Angels and to present their side of the story. He claimed that violence only started once the crowd began vandalizing the Hells Angels' motorcycles.

Dude was a monster in his heyday. Nobody screwed with Sonny.  8)

Subject: Re: Hell Has A New Angel - Sonny Barger Patches Out at 83

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/30/22 at 6:35 pm

A few years back when I was kicking around the idea of buying a motorcycle, I bought a book written by Sonny Barger that was a beginner's guide to motorcycling. It was a fascinating read, and the advice he shared made a lot of sense (even though I never ended up getting a bike).

There were two things he mentioned in the book that I found quite surprising: 1.) He said he never rides without a full-face helmet and 2.) He would never, ever buy a new Harley-Davidson motorcycle because he thought they were overpriced junk.

Subject: Re: Hell Has A New Angel - Sonny Barger Patches Out at 83

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 06/30/22 at 11:23 pm

Altamont was actually 1969, four months after Woodstock. The legendary Stones doc Gimme Shelter was released in 1970.

Check for new replies or respond here...