inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nichelle Nichols Gone at 89

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/22 at 2:50 pm

Nichelle Nichols, legendary for her role in Star Trek, has passed away due to ‘natural causes’, according to her son. She was 89 years young.  :\'(

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/nichelle-nichols-legendary-star-trek-actress-dies/

Before Star Trek, it was extremely unusual to see a black woman portrayed in anything other than a servile role on TV. Nichelle’s Uhura character blew away the glass ceiling.  8)

Nichelle joins Leonard Nimoy, Deforest Kelly, James Doohan, and Majel Barrett in that Great Starship in the Sky.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Nichelle Nichols Gone at 89.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/22 at 2:57 pm

How sad. She will go down in history as being the first black woman in a lead role and having the first interracial kiss on television.

I LOVE what her son said:

"I regret to inform you that a great light in the firmament no longer shines for us as it has for so many years. Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away," he wrote. "Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration. Hers was a life well lived and as such a model for us all."

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/22 at 3:02 pm

How sad. She will go down in history as being the first black woman in a lead role and having the first interracial kiss on television.

She paved the way for another famous interracial kiss…  8)

q3gHj5LHB6s

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/31/22 at 6:20 pm

She paved the way for another famous interracial kiss…  8)

q3gHj5LHB6s

Both this kisses riled up the far-Right. That's too bad. Nichelle did a lot of community work after Star Trek:TOS, and fought for equal rights for women and blacks. RIP, Uhura.

Subject: Re: Nichelle Nichols Gone at 89

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/22 at 6:29 pm

I read that she dated Sammy Davis and Gene Roddenberry.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/22 at 6:47 pm

I read that she dated Sammy Davis and Gene Roddenberry.

Cat

She dated Burgess Meredith too.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/02/22 at 5:02 pm

She was wonderful in Star Trek, quite the trailblazer too.  She will be missed  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Nichelle Nichols

Check for new replies or respond here...