inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pat Carroll Signs Off at 95

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/22 at 5:31 pm

Legendary nonagenarian comedienne and voice-over performer Pat Carroll has passed away at the age of 95, from pneumonia. :\'(

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/pat-carroll-dead-ursula-little-mermaid-1235189916/

Ms. Carroll was a mainstay of 50s-60s-70s Television comedy, and even did the voice acting for Ursula in The Little Mermaid.

Carroll’s perky personality, screwball wit and impeccable timing made her a great second banana, and Red Buttons, Jimmy Durante, Mickey Rooney, Steve Allen and Charley Weaver were among those who called upon her to make their programs funnier. Her antics on Caesar’s Hour earned her an Emmy in 1957, and she was nominated for her work on the classic variety show the following year.

Subject: Re: Pat Carroll Signs Off at 95

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/22 at 6:06 pm

I thought she died a long time ago.  :-[

This is my Pat Carroll story. I took a semester of college at the local community college right after high school where I worked on a show. My boyfriend at the time drove me to one of the performances. As I was on stage, I thought of him out in the audience. After the show, he was there to drive me home. He told me that he didn't stay for the show. WHAT??!! He told me that he went to a bar and I can't remember if he played pinball or pool. But, who was there was Pat Carroll. He showed me the autograph she gave me. Yeah, that was cool, but HE DIDN'T STAY TO WATCH ME PREFORM!!!!  >:( >:(

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/31/22 at 6:15 pm

I thought she died a long time ago.  :-[

I thought she did, too. Pat Carroll was a complete opposite of Ursula, going by her game show appearance. RIP, Pat.

Written By: nally on 07/31/22 at 6:18 pm

I remember her as the voice of Ursula the villain in The Little Mermaid. I hadn’t realized she was still alive either, until hearing about her passing today. She was a great performer, and she’s gonna be missed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/22 at 6:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDTmDclIvj8

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/31/22 at 9:47 pm

Pat Carroll was a mainstay of TV game and talk shows in the 60s and 70s. She was a familiar face to us all back then. She also did one woman plays, like one on the life of Gertrude Stein. She was an accomplished theatrical actress.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/22 at 7:08 am

Legendary nonagenarian comedienne and voice-over performer Pat Carroll has passed away at the age of 95, from pneumonia. :\'(

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/pat-carroll-dead-ursula-little-mermaid-1235189916/

Ms. Carroll was a mainstay of 50s-60s-70s Television comedy, and even did the voice acting for Ursula in The Little Mermaid.

Wasn't she in some sitcoms too?  ???

Written By: nally on 08/01/22 at 8:31 pm

Wasn't she in some sitcoms too?  ???

Yes, as a guest star.

According to her bio on Wikopedia:
In early 1976, Carroll was cast as Lily, the mother of Shirley Feeney (played by Cindy Williams) in the episode "Mother Knows Worst" on the hit ABC situation comedy, Laverne & Shirley. She portrayed Pearl Markowitz, the mother of Adam Arkin's character Lenny Markowitz, in the 1977 CBS situation comedy Busting Loose. Her frequent television roles in the 1980s included newspaper owner Hope Stinson on the syndicated The Ted Knight Show (the former Too Close for Comfort) during its final season in 1986; and that of Gussie Holt, the mother of Suzanne Somers' lead character in the syndicated sitcom She's the Sheriff (1987–1989).

Check for new replies or respond here...