inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: US Congresswoman Jackie Walorski Killed In a Car Crash

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/03/22 at 6:24 pm

Jackie Walorski, a US Representative from Indiana died in car accident along with two staff members. Rep. Walorski was a member of the 2nd District of her state. She was 58.

www.cnn.com

Subject: Re: US Congresswoman Jackie Walorski Killed In a Car Crash

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/03/22 at 7:40 pm

Not very familiar with her, but that's horrible.  So tragic  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Congresswoman Jackie Walorski

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/22 at 5:23 am

The driver of the other car bit it too.  :\'(  Total four deaths.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/22 at 2:45 pm

I read about this. So sad.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/04/22 at 5:02 pm

Now there are reports that Representative Walorski's vehicle crossed the the middle line of the road, causing the accident. We do not know who was driving at the time. It is sad that four people lost their lives. Prayers for the families.

Update: It was the male staff member who was driving, according to local reports.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/22 at 6:55 pm

Now there are reports that Representative Walorski's vehicle crossed the the middle line of the road, causing the accident. We do not know who was driving at the time. It is sad that four people lost their lives. Prayers for the families.

Update: It was the male staff member who was driving, according to local reports.

I’m in the transportation business these days and see dash cam videos of vehicle accidents on a regular basis. Crossing the centerline… means the driver of the Congresswoman’s car was a “distracted driver”.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/22 at 4:37 pm

I’m in the transportation business these days and see dash cam videos of vehicle accidents on a regular basis. Crossing the centerline… means the driver of the Congresswoman’s car was a “distracted driver”.

Or having a medical emergency.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/22 at 4:52 pm

Or having a medical emergency.

Cat

Yeah, that too although it is extremely rare. Easily less that 1 out of 10 such incidents, at least in my end of the business. Distractions causing lane departure that we’ve seen in my business have been:

-Playing with cell phone / texting (one guy was in an argument on the phone with his wife)
-Eating
-Swatting a bee in the truck cab (got more than one of these)
-Reaching down to the floor to pick up some dropped item

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/22 at 5:15 pm

Yeah, that too although it is extremely rare. Easily less that 1 out of 10 such incidents, at least in my end of the business. Distractions causing lane departure that we’ve seen in my business have been:

-Playing with cell phone / texting (one guy was in an argument on the phone with his wife)
-Eating
-Swatting a bee in the truck cab (got more than one of these)
-Reaching down to the floor to pick up some dropped item

I do agree that texting is probably the cause of majority of someone crossing the line.

One time when we were coming back from across country, Carlos' youngest was with us and they were alternating between the two of them in terms of driving since we were driving straight through. (My driving days were over by then.) It is my job to keep the driver awake and alert. When my step-daughter was driving, she wanted to use the cell phone. (These were the days before everyone had smart phones.) I told no because she was driving. When her dad took over the driving, I gave her the cell.

Another note, the two of them were getting some sleep-or at least rest when they weren't driving. I didn't think it was fair to me to have to be awake most of the time to keep them awake. I think it was about 7 in the morning when Carlos told me that I could close my eyes. 

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...