inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 54 Is Enough for Adam Rich

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/08/23 at 10:50 am

Adam Rich, probably best known as the child actor portraying the youngest kid in the TV series Eight is Enough has passed away at the young age of 54.  :\'(. A cause of death has not yet been determined but the article below says that fowl play is not suspected.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/08/adam-rich-dead-dies-eight-is-enough/

Adam made VH1's list of the greatest 100 kid stars, coming in at #73.  In keeping with 70s and 80s TV shows, Adam sported a “bowl cut” hair style.  8)

Sadly, Adam had substance abuse issues, which resulted in a 1991 arrest after he smashed a pharmacy window :o in an effort to obtain drugs. He was bailed out by Dick Van Patten, his TV dad on "Eight Is Enough." He had other legal issues as well.

Adam is the 4th main character in EIE to pass away, after Diana Hyland (John Travolta’s BF at the time), Dick Van Patten, and Lani O’Grady.  :\'(

Subject: Re: 54 Is Enough for Adam Rich

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/08/23 at 12:11 pm

Much too young to die. :\'(
RIP, Adam

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/08/23 at 12:15 pm

I used to watch Eight is Enough when it was new. Diana Hyland--by all accounts a lovely person--died very early in the show's run.  I think she was only in four episodes. This threw a monkey wrench into everything because the entire show was based on a married couple with all these kids. Kids who were actually theirs, not a blended family like The Brady Bunch. They had to scramble around and bring in Broadway actress Betty Buckley to play Tom Bradford's new love interest and eventual wife. It had to be handled delicately because they couldn't make it seem like wholesome Tom Bradford would have another woman so soon after his wife died.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/08/23 at 12:24 pm

I used to watch Eight is Enough when it was new. Diana Hyland--by all accounts a lovely person--died very early in the show's run.  I think she was only in four episodes. This threw a monkey wrench into everything because the entire show was based on a married couple with all these kids. Kids who were actually theirs, not a blended family like The Brady Bunch. They had to scramble around and bring in Broadway actress Betty Buckley to play Tom Bradford's new love interest and eventual wife. It had to be handled delicately because they couldn't make it seem like wholesome Tom Bradford would have another woman so soon after his wife died.

Betty Buckley who played the new chick, was actually younger than Laurie Walters :-* who played one of the daughters.  :o

Written By: nally on 01/08/23 at 12:38 pm

Much too young to die. :\'(
RIP, Adam

Agreed.

I never saw Eight Is Enough, btw.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/23 at 1:58 pm

Adam Rich, probably best known as the child actor portraying the youngest kid in the TV series Eight is Enough has passed away at the young age of 54.  :\'(. A cause of death has not yet been determined but the article below says that fowl play is not suspected.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/08/adam-rich-dead-dies-eight-is-enough/

Adam made VH1's list of the greatest 100 kid stars, coming in at #73.  In keeping with 70s and 80s TV shows, Adam sported a “bowl cut” hair style.  8)

Adam is the 4th main character in EIE to pass away, after Diana Hyland (John Travolta’s BF at the time), Dick Van Patten, and Lani O’Grady.  :\'(

Sorry to hear of his passing I used to watch Eight Is Enough when it was on repeats, such a good show, too young to die.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/23 at 2:55 pm

I used to watch Eight is Enough.

The funny thing when they brought on Betty Buckley, I didn't know that she was the original Martha Jefferson in 1776 which I fell in love with when I was 9 years old. When she was in Cats, I thought, "Wow, that's the step-mom from Eight is Enough."

As for Adam Rich, he was the same age as my sister when she died-WAY too young.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/18/23 at 7:06 pm

One thing that poed me about Adam Rich is that he was up on a shoplifting charge for trying to steal morphine from a pharmacy and Dick Van Patten decided to bail him out of jail instead of showing him tough love and leaving him in jail.

Subject: 54 Is Enough for Adam Rich

Written By: Dude111 on 01/19/23 at 8:08 pm

Very sad...........

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/23 at 8:44 pm

One thing that poed me about Adam Rich is that he was up on a shoplifting charge for trying to steal morphine from a pharmacy and Dick Van Patten decided to bail him out of jail instead of showing him tough love and leaving him in jail.

He wasn’t shoplifting. He broke into the joint to steal the dope.  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/19/23 at 11:08 pm

It may have been difficult for Adam Rich to transition from a child to an adult but come on.  Dick Van Patten wasn't doing him any favours by bailing him out. He should have just left Adam Rich in jail.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/23 at 3:04 am

It may have been difficult for Adam Rich to transition from a child to an adult but come on.  Dick Van Patten wasn't doing him any favours by bailing him out. He should have just left Adam Rich in jail.

Why would someone feel sorry for him?  ::)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/21/23 at 12:02 am

Why would someone feel sorry for him?  ::)

I know.  I think Dick must have felt sorry for his TV son and felt obligated to bail him out?

Written By: Howard on 01/21/23 at 2:56 am

I know.  I think Dick must have felt sorry for his TV son and felt obligated to bail him out?

Just like when Todd Bridges felt sorry for Dana Plato many years ago.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/22/23 at 1:05 am

Just like when Todd Bridges felt sorry for Dana Plato many years ago.

They were both pretty bad.  One robbed a pharmacy and the other robbed a video store.  They were both crying out for help but they just weren't listened to.  And both died from suspected drug overdoses.  It all just seems pathetic that they got into trouble with drugs, they both robbed stores for drugs and money and they both died very slow and painful deaths.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/23 at 2:48 am

They were both pretty bad.  One robbed a pharmacy and the other robbed a video store.  They were both crying out for help but they just weren't listened to.  And both died from suspected drug overdoses.  It all just seems pathetic that they got into trouble with drugs, they both robbed stores for drugs and money and they both died very slow and painful deaths.

Todd Bridges is still alive and well.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/22/23 at 5:33 am

I know he is.  I was referring to Adam Rich and Dana Plato.

Dana robbed a video store and Adam robbed a pharmacy. I mean we all do things when we're desperate and that's just one of the things that addicts do when they're desperate.  They want the drugs and then they rob stores and go anyplace that they can to get what they want.
Adam went so far as to rob a pharmacy and steal over-the-counter pills and money just so he could feed his habit. 
I don't know how much Adam's habit was but I'm betting that it was a large amount of money.  And I'm betting that he pissed away what he earned on Eight Is Enough on drugs.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/23 at 7:34 am

Yeah, he got off of dope nearly 30 years ago :).  From his Wikipedia page:

Bridges started smoking marijuana as a 15-year-old star on Diff'rent Strokes.  In his twenties, Bridges battled a crack cocaine and methamphetamine addiction. He bought and sold drugs to support his addiction. Bridges was arrested for felony assault and cocaine possession.

In 1983, Bridges was fined $240 for carrying a concealed firearm. In 1987, he received a suspended sentence after pleading no contest when charged with making a bomb threat.

In 1989, Bridges was arrested and tried for the attempted murder of Kenneth "Tex" Clay, a Los Angeles-area drug dealer whom prosecutors argued had been shot by Bridges. Bridges pleaded not guilty and was represented by the famous defense attorney Johnnie Cochran, who argued that Bridges was an abused minor who had been driven to drugs by an exploitative entertainment industry and was now being framed. A witness finally testified that Bridges was not at the shooting, and Bridges was acquitted of all charges by a jury.

Bridges was arrested on December 29, 1992 on suspicion of transporting narcotics for sale and possession of a loaded firearm after Burbank, California police officers discovered methamphetamines and a loaded gun in his car. He was released on $10,000 bail. Bridges stopped using drugs on February 24, 1993 after years of use.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/23 at 2:03 pm

Freudian slip?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/22/23 at 2:04 pm

I know he is.  I was referring to Adam Rich and Dana Plato.

Dana robbed a video store and Adam robbed a pharmacy. I mean we all do things when we're desperate and that's just one of the things that addicts do when they're desperate.  They want the drugs and then they rob stores and go anyplace that they can to get what they want.
Adam went so far as to rob a pharmacy and steal over-the-counter pills and money just so he could feed his habit. 
I don't know how much Adam's habit was but I'm betting that it was a large amount of money.  And I'm betting that he pissed away what he earned on Eight Is Enough on drugs.

I guess that's what happens when a star is out of work, they'll do anything for money.

Check for new replies or respond here...