inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ralphie Now An Orphan: Christmas Story Mom Melinda Dillon Dead at 83

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/04/23 at 8:46 pm

Melinda Dillon, the actress who was best known as Ralphie's mother in the Holiday classic 'A Christmas Story', has passed on at 83. She also played a mother in Spielberg's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind'. (Raphie's movie dad Darren McGavin died in 2006. Hence the thread title.)
A good actress gone too soon. :\'(

Subject: Re: Ralphie Now An Orphan: Christmas Story Mom Melinda Dillon Dead at 83

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/04/23 at 9:44 pm

She was great in "A Christmas Story" - sad to hear  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Melinda Dillon

From "A Christmas Story" - "Mommy's Little Piggy":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXpMa8R6dKI

Subject: Ralphie Now An Orphan: Christmas Story Mom Melinda Dillon Dead at 83

Written By: Dude111 on 02/04/23 at 10:36 pm

Very sad yes............. :(

Subject: Re: Ralphie Now An Orphan: Christmas Story Mom Melinda Dillon Dead at 83

Written By: nally on 02/04/23 at 11:33 pm

R.I.P. to Melinda Dillon :\'(

Written By: Howard on 02/05/23 at 2:50 am

Melinda Dillon, the actress who was best know as Ralphie's mother in the Holiday classic 'A Christmas Story', has passed on at 83. She also played a mother in Spielberg's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind'. (Raphie's movie dad Darren McGavin died in 2006. Hence the thread title.)
A good actress gone too soon. :\'(

I remember when she put soap in Ralphie's mouth. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/05/23 at 7:10 am

She also played the role of Teresa Perone in Paul Newman’s Absence of Malice.

Weird story here… another chapter in Six Degrees of LyricBoy… back in the 80’s a Detroit businessman with whom I (much later) had dealings was facing a federal trial with a couple of mobsters for labor racketeering. Apparently they hired some Detroit Outfit muscle to convince their Teamster truck drivers to grant some out-of-contract concessions or otherwise “face a little rough stuff” :o. When the jurors were voir dire’d, they were asked if they saw Absence, as it was written by Detroit newsman Kurt Leudtke, who was (at the time of the trial) writing in the Detroit papers about the alleged activities of my buddy and his associates.

In any event, my guy lost in court and spent a couple of years in the slam for violations of the Hobbs Act.

Many years later, the same guy recommended me for the job I’ve had for the past 18 years.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/23 at 1:43 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/05/23 at 2:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KjxFDGFKhk

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/05/23 at 4:48 pm

I see she bit it back on January 9th. I wonder what took so long for the news to get out? ???

Written By: nally on 02/05/23 at 6:22 pm

I see she bit it back on January 9th. I wonder what took so long for the news to get out? ???

Good question. I occasionally notice that on some occasions when a famous person dies, it's not exactly reported right away. There could be some potential factors that prevent it from being announced.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/23 at 7:01 am

So sad, I always like her in CE3K.

Check for new replies or respond here...