inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Iconic actress Raquel Welch dies

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/15/23 at 3:08 pm

Legendary actress, icon and sex symbol Raquel Welch has died at age 82.

www.cnn.com/2023/02/15/entertainment/raquel-welch-death/index.html

Let me tell you, there was no dorm room anywhere, especially male dorm rooms,  in the 1960s that did not have that famous poster of her in the prehistoric bikini on the wall.

https://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/default/poster/7/8/break/images/artworkimages/medium/2/raquel-welch-in-one-million-years-bc-bettmann.jpg

Subject: Re: Iconic actress Raquel Welch dies

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/15/23 at 3:16 pm

This is one of my favorite things by Raquel Welch. It's from a TV special she did in 1970. I remember seeing it when it first aired. It was later found out that the producers were skittish about Raquel's singing, so her voice was dubbed in by Tina Cole of My Three Sons and the singing King Family. Turns out Raquel didn't actually have a bad voice and she later did very successful live shows in Las Vegas and elsewhere where she sang for real.

This is quite the spectacle. It was filmed on location at the Mayan Pyramids of Teotihuacan in Mexico.

Raquel Welch
"Aquarius"/"Let the Sunshine In"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APVw8323XOk

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/15/23 at 3:17 pm

She was quite the icon indeed - sad to say goodbye    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Raquel Welch

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/23 at 3:56 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/23 at 6:06 pm

What say there, Miss Fuzzy Britches?

https://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/default/poster/7/8/break/images/artworkimages/medium/2/raquel-welch-in-one-million-years-bc-bettmann.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/23 at 6:08 pm

She was awesome in Fantastic Voyage… and Mother, Jugs & Speed.  8)

Written By: nally on 02/15/23 at 7:22 pm

R.I.P to Raquel. :\'( She will be missed.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/15/23 at 9:16 pm

There's a very nice tribute in the La Jolla Light which brings up many interesting points and has a good perspective on Raquel's complex career.

Raquel Welch, international film icon and La Jolla High School alumna, dies at 82

www.lajollalight.com/news/story/2023-02-15/raquel-welch-international-film-icon-and-la-jolla-high-school-alumna-dies-at-82

Excerpts:

While attending La Jolla High, where she graduated with honors in 1958, she won the titles of Miss La Jolla and Miss San Diego — the Fairest of the Fair.

But to the world, the beauty queen turned single mom was an exotic actor whose smoldering looks and curvy figure suited the mood of the swinging 1960s.

She had only three lines in the 1966 film “One Million Years B.C.,” but her doeskin bikini did all the talking, launching her to international fame almost overnight.

“I liked that there was something very superhero about her,” Welch told the Los Angeles Times in 2016, referring to her role as Loana the cave girl. “At least I wasn’t one of those mincing little girls; I never wanted to be that.”

Indeed, Welch had a complicated relationship with her persona. Determined to prove that she was more than a sex symbol, she refused to do nude scenes. But her fame was always tied to her sexuality, a fate she accepted with regret.

But Welch earned a reputation for being strong-willed and independent. In 1970, at the peak of her fame, she took a role no one wanted — as a transgender woman in the adaptation of Gore Vidal’s bestseller “Myra Breckinridge.”

On her early career:

After a screen test opposite James Coburn for the 1965 James Bond spoof “Our Man Flint,” she became one of the last contract players at 20th Century Fox to sign a multi-year deal.

One of the studio’s first moves, she said, was to suggest she change her first name to Debbie, saying Raquel “felt too ethnic.” She refused.

“I’m proud of my Bolivian heritage,” she told the Times years later.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/23 at 3:03 am

Legendary actress, icon and sex symbol Raquel Welch has died at age 82.

www.cnn.com/2023/02/15/entertainment/raquel-welch-death/index.html

Let me tell you, there was no dorm room anywhere, especially male dorm rooms,  in the 1960s that did not have that famous poster of her in the prehistoric bikini on the wall.

RIP Raquel Welch.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/16/23 at 6:06 am

These things usually come in threes.

First it was Gina Lollobrigida who passed last month. Now Raquel Welch.  :\'(

Who will the next 60s bombshell be? ???

Written By: Howard on 02/17/23 at 2:49 am

These things usually come in threes.

First it was Gina Lollobrigida who passed last month. Now Raquel Welch.  :\'(

Who will the next 60s bombshell be? ???

I don't know, My guess is as good as yours.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/17/23 at 9:43 am

The View cohost Sunny Hostin, known for frequently making unintelligent comments, let loose this whopper on Thursday's episode.

The View audience loudly boos when cohost says Kim Kardashian is Raquel Welch-level sex symbol

www.yahoo.com/entertainment/view-audience-loudly-boos-cohost-171649381.html

As the cohosts discussed the recent death of actress and pop culture sex symbol Raquel Welch on Thursday's episode of the ABC talk show, Joy Behar praised the late icon's impact.

"You know, they don't make any sex symbols like that," Behar said. "I don't know any present "

Sunny Hostin jumped in, adding, "Well, Kim Kardashian is kind of a sex symbol," which prompted the studio audience to loudly boo the response.

Hostin's fellow panelists also rebuked the assertion, with Whoopi Goldberg quickly quipping, "No," while Behar and a (visibly stunned) Hostin joked that the audience was "turning" on them.

"That's not even, you can't even put them in the same ... I'm moving on," Goldberg said before introducing the next Hot Topic discussion.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/23 at 5:56 am

So sad, a true icon from the 1960s.

But I truly remember her well in Richard Lester's "The Three Musketeers" from 1973 where she won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, playing the role of Constance Bonacieux.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/21/23 at 2:27 am

I don't know, My guess is as good as yours.

Has anyone checked on Sophia Loren?

Written By: Howard on 02/21/23 at 7:00 am

Has anyone checked on Sophia Loren?

She's going to be 89 this September.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/22/23 at 11:51 am

Here's a wonderfully insightful article about how Raquel Welch, once something of a "stealth Latina" (apparently more by Hollywood's doing than her own), ultimately embraced her Bolivian roots as times changed. It is an excellent holistic window into what times were like when she first came on the scene in Hollywood in the 1960s. Too many people today practice "presentism", the practice of judging all things by TODAY'S standards, rather than by the standards of the period from whence they came.

Highly recommended reading!

Raquel Welch was a 'stealth' Latina until she wasn't — a reflection of the times
“She was in a complicated space about it,” scholar Brian Herrera said of Welch’s ethnicity. “And she arrived in a transitional period of how Latinos are understood in U.S. culture.

www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/raquel-welch-stealth-latina-tejada-changing-times-rcna71174

Check for new replies or respond here...