inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chaim Topol: Fiddler on the Roof star dies aged 87

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/23 at 3:18 am

The actor Chaim Topol, best known for his portrayal of milkman Tevye in Fiddler On The Roof, has died at the age of 87, Israel's president has said.

His death was confirmed by President Isaac Herzog, who described Topol as "one of the giants of Israeli culture".

Topol was Oscar nominated for his performance in the 1971 film adaptation of the musical.

His other famous film role included in Flash Gordon, Follow Me, and the James Bond film For Your Eyes Only.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64898895

Subject: Re: Chaim Topol: Fiddler on the Roof star dies aged 87

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/23 at 5:05 am

BMTI. He was best known simply as Topol, joining the fairly rare cast of mononymous celebrities such as Gallagher, Madonna, and Slash.  8)

In addition to playing Tevye the Dairyman in the film adaptation of Fiddler on the Roof, he appeared in 3500+ productions of it in the stage version. 

Note: He was not associated with the old smoker’s toothpaste brand, Topol

fLCxjtiBh5c

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/09/23 at 2:03 pm

For my 9th or 10th birthday party, my mother took the entire party to go see Fiddler knowing how much I wanted to see that movie. Not sure how all my 9 or 10 year old friends felt about it. At the age of 9 or 10, I was disappointed because he wasn't Zero Mostel who I was used to listening to in the role. As an adult, I think he did a WONDERFUL performance.

Oh, and if it were today, I'm sure my mother wouldn't have been able to afford to take an entire birthday party to the movies.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/23 at 5:03 pm

For my 9th or 10th birthday party, my mother took the entire party to go see Fiddler knowing how much I wanted to see that movie. Not sure how all my 9 or 10 year old friends felt about it. At the age of 9 or 10, I was disappointed because he wasn't Zero Mostel who I was used to listening to in the role. As an adult, I think he did a WONDERFUL performance.

Oh, and if it were today, I'm sure my mother wouldn't have been able to afford to take an entire birthday party to the movies.

Cat

A high school buddy of mine has a phenomenal collection of memorabilia… pictures of him with all sorts of celebrities, sports figures, the whole bit. Has a photo of Muhammad Ali holding my buddy’s son as a baby. Game-worn and signed jerseys, footballs, helmets, and probably used condoms for all sorts of ball players. His house is jam-packed with the stuff, and he has a huge house. Yesterday I was telling one of my coworkers about him.

So yesterday Topol dies. This morning, sure enough, my buddy posts on Facebook a Fiddler on the Roof poster that was custom signed by Topol himself, with an inscription to my buddy and his wife.  ;D 8)

Written By: nally on 03/09/23 at 7:41 pm

RIP to Chaim :\'(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/23 at 9:14 pm

I never even knew his first name was Chaim. he was always known simply as "Topol", even when nominated for an Academy Award. Topol could have been his first name for all anybody knew.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/23 at 5:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OaY_TDg0J4

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...