inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What? Me Worry? Yes, Because Al Jaffee Is Gone…

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/10/23 at 5:40 pm

Legendary cartoonist Al Jaffee, known for decades for his pioneering and hilarious works in the pages of Mad Magazine, has passed away all too soon at the age of 102.  :\'(

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/al-jaffe-mad-magazine-cartoonist-fold-in-dead-obit-1234712555/

Jaffee enjoyed a Guinness World Record-setting 77 years as a professional cartoonist, starting in 1942 and ending just a couple of years ago, in June 2020, when he finally decided to retire at the age of 99. 8) He started working for Mad in 1955, three years after its founding, and his decision to finally cap his pens came just as the long-running satire magazine stopped publishing new material. :-\\

Subject: Re: What? Me Worry? Yes, Because Al Jaffee Is Gone…

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/23 at 5:46 pm

So sad. I can still remember some of those Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions and still use some of them if someone asks me the questions.

Question: Are you sleeping?
Answer: Yes, and I'm having a nightmare that someone is asking me if I am sleeping.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/10/23 at 5:49 pm

So sad. I can still remember some of those Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions and still use some of them if someone asks me the questions.

Question: Are you sleeping?
Answer: Yes, and I'm having a nightmare that someone is asking me if I am sleeping.

Cat

I still remember the My Three Sons satire titled “My Three Sonny Boys”, starring Fred McMoron.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/23 at 6:44 pm

I still remember the My Three Sons satire titled “My Three Sonny Boys”, starring Fred McMoron.  ;D

I don't know if it was Al Jaffee who did the Star Trek musical or not but that one was a classic.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/11/23 at 2:46 am

Legendary cartoonist Al Jaffee, known for decades for his pioneering and hilarious works in the pages of Mad Magazine, has passed away all too soon at the age of 102.  :\'(

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/al-jaffe-mad-magazine-cartoonist-fold-in-dead-obit-1234712555/

Jaffee enjoyed a Guinness World Record-setting 77 years as a professional cartoonist, starting in 1942 and ending just a couple of years ago, in June 2020, when he finally decided to retire at the age of 99. 8) He started working for Mad in 1955, three years after its founding, and his decision to finally cap his pens came just as the long-running satire magazine stopped publishing new material. :-\\

I always loved reading MAD magazine whenever I got a chance, RIP Al Jaffee.  :\'(

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 04/12/23 at 8:30 am

Mad and Cracked were both favorites of mine in middle school and high school. I may have prefered Cracked because it was mostly in color, but even this late into their run, Mad's satire was sharp.

X-Men (2000) parody:
"Will our audience pick up on the McCarthyism references?"
"We're talking about people who read comic books. They'd be lucky to recognize Jenny McCarthy."

Al Jaffee's Fold-Ins were always great. Ironically, my own first issue was Mars Attacks, which replaced the Fold-In with Mad Attacks trading cards.

Check for new replies or respond here...