inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Night Chicago Died… And Now Cliff Fish Has, Too

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/16/23 at 8:08 am

Legendary British bass player Cliff Fish, who as a member of the pop band Paper Lace churned out hits like Billy, Don’t Be a Hero and The Night Chicago Died (a tune notorious for its misheard lyrics such as ”And he kissed my momma's face and threw mustard at her waist” ;D), has passed away at the age of 73 from cancer.  :\'(

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/7885153/cliff-fish-dead-paper-lace-guitarist/

Until recently, Cliff continued to play alongside fellow original, Philip Wright (lead vocalist and drummer) in Phil Wright's Original 1970s Paper Lace.

Their hit TNCD was about a fictional battle between the cops and the Mob on the “East side of Chicago”… which would have made it a naval battle because the East side of Chicago is Lake Michigan!  ;D

p-L0NpaErkk

Subject: Re: The Night Chicago Died… And Now Cliff Fish Has, Too

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/16/23 at 9:07 am

"The Night Chicago Died" and "Billy Don't Be A Hero" strike me as novelty songs.

Subject: Re: The Night Chicago Died… And Now Cliff Fish Has, Too

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/16/23 at 9:23 am

"The Night Chicago Died" and "Billy Don't Be A Hero" strike me as novelty songs.

The rendition of BDBAH released by Bo Donaldson & the Haywoods was voted #8 as one of the worst songs of the 1970s despite placing #1 on the Billboard US chart in June 1974.    :o

The earlier version by Paper Lace hit #1 in the UK and Australia.  8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Don%27t_Be_a_Hero

As to TNCD

Paper Lace sent the song to the mayor of Chicago, the Honorable Richard J. Daley, who greatly disliked it. A member of Daley's staff is quoted as saying that Paper Lace should "jump in the Chicago River, placing your heads under water three times and surfacing twice. Pray tell us, are you nuts?” ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...