inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Otis Redding Watches the Tide Roll Away

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/20/23 at 5:28 am

Otis Redding III, son of legendary soul singer Otis Redding Jr., has passed away at the age of 59 from cancer.  :\'(

https://www.soultracks.com/story-otis-redding-iii-dies

A musician in his own right, Otis III formed a group, The Reddings, who performed from 1980 thru 1988 and scored a few hits on the R&B charts, including a reboot of his father’s Sitting on the Dock of the Bay 8). Later he pursued a solo career.

Subject: Re: Otis Redding iii Watches the Tide Roll Away

Written By: nally on 04/20/23 at 11:05 am

Otis Redding III, son of legendary soul singer Otis Redding Jr., has passed away at the age of 59 from cancer.  :\'(

https://www.soultracks.com/story-otis-redding-iii-dies

A musician in his own right, Otis III formed a group, The Reddings, who performed from 1980 thru 1988 and scored a few hits on the R&B charts, including a reboot of his father’s Sitting on the Dock of the Bay 8). Later he pursued a solo career.

Wow, how sad. :\'( I was unaware that the late legendary singer who died 55+ years ago had a same-named son.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/20/23 at 11:40 am

Wow, how sad. :\'( I was unaware that the late legendary singer who died 55+ years ago had a same-named son.

I never heard of him either. There are a lot of these sons riding on the coattails of their illustrious fathers.

Subject: Re: Otis Redding Watches the Tide Roll Away

Written By: Howard on 04/20/23 at 2:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyLI0UxdY4
Maybe you're a bit familiar with their hit "Remote Control" in 1981.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 04/20/23 at 3:35 pm

Yes.  And I, too, was confused when I first saw the title.  I thought Otis Redding of "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay" fame had died when I was a little kid.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/20/23 at 4:17 pm

Yes.  And I, too, was confused when I first saw the title.  I thought Otis Redding of "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay" fame had died when I was a little kid.

I think it's because of the name of this topic. "Dock of the Bay" will forever be associated with the iconic Otis Redding, and not some little-heard cover by an offspring.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/20/23 at 4:54 pm

I think it's because of the name of this topic. "Dock of the Bay" will forever be associated with the iconic Otis Redding, and not some little-heard cover by an offspring.

OR-III’s version was on the charts for nine weeks in 1982.

Written By: nally on 04/20/23 at 9:06 pm

I never heard of him either. There are a lot of these sons riding on the coattails of their illustrious fathers.

Glad I wasn’t alone. The title was a bit misleading.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/20/23 at 9:32 pm

OR-III’s version was on the charts for nine weeks in 1982.

Like I said, little-heard. Wikipedia says it peaked at #55 on the Billboard chart. Didn't even crack the top 40. Otis Redding's original version in 1967 was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for four weeks and #1 on the Billboard R&B chart for three weeks, and has been played daily ever since on oldies stations all over the world. Now really, what version are people gonna think of when mention of that song comes up?

Check for new replies or respond here...