inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jerry Springer's final thoughts

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/27/23 at 10:26 am

Talk show host and former mayor of Cincinnati Jerry Springer died at the age of 79.

Subject: Re: Jerry Springer's final thoughts

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/23 at 12:36 pm

So sad.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

He was born in the London Underground station of Highgate while the station was in use as a shelter from German bombing during World War II.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/23 at 12:55 pm

No more “Jerry beads”  :\'(

Written By: nally on 04/27/23 at 9:36 pm

Wow, what a shocker. :o He apparently had pancreatic cancer in recent months (the same thing that killed Alex Trebek).

RIP Jerry :\'(

Written By: Howard on 04/28/23 at 3:06 am

Talk show host and former mayor of Cincinnati Jerry Springer died at the age of 79.

I always watched Jerry Springer when I got a chance, such a funny and crazy show, they'd always have either 2 guys or girls that causes an argument then they'd start a fist fight on stage afterwards.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/23 at 4:27 am

I always watched Jerry Springer when I got a chance, such a funny and crazy show, they'd always have either 2 guys or girls that causes an argument then they'd start a fist fight on stage afterwards.

My favorite part would be the segment at the end, where audience members would hurl insults at the guests, and occasionally earn “Jerry beads”.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/28/23 at 3:19 pm

My favorite part would be the segment at the end, where audience members would hurl insults at the guests, and occasionally earn “Jerry beads”.  ;D

I don't think I've seen that part.  ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/28/23 at 3:55 pm

I think I vaguely remember it. Of course it got blurred out. I do remember when they used to fight, c.1998 but then security would hold them back before they started engaging physically. I also remember the audience chanting "Jerry! Jerry!"

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/23 at 4:48 pm

Most episodes had the “insult segment”, it usually ended with one of the audience members grabbing the mic and saying “And now for Jerry’s last words…” then Jerry would dispense his words of wisdom related to the underlying issue covered in the episode.

“Jerry beads” were a bit more rare, but every now and then a female audience member would pull off her top and flash the audience (although the detail would be pixelated out). In return, Jerry would give her a string of beads.

Written By: nally on 04/28/23 at 7:45 pm

I for one NEVER watched it. Didn’t interest me.

However, in 1999 Weird Al made a parody of the Barenaked Ladies song “One Week” entitled “Jerry Springer” (about the programme) which I found funny.

wbfiEfVfo4M

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/28/23 at 8:33 pm

I for one NEVER watched it. Didn’t interest me.

Same here. It appealed to the lowest common denominator. So crude. He was a smart cookie though. He capitalized on it.  Those were the early days of the serious dumbing down of America.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/23 at 2:45 am

I think I vaguely remember it. Of course it got blurred out. I do remember when they used to fight, c.1998 but then security would hold them back before they started engaging physically. I also remember the audience chanting "Jerry! Jerry!"

Yes, they'd pretend it was a boxing or a wrestling ring on stage.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/23 at 2:47 am

Most episodes had the “insult segment”, it usually ended with one of the audience members grabbing the mic and saying “And now for Jerry’s last words…” then Jerry would dispense his words of wisdom related to the underlying issue covered in the episode.

“Jerry beads” were a bit more rare, but every now and then a female audience member would pull off her top and flash the audience (although the detail would be pixelated out). In return, Jerry would give her a string of beads.

Anything for a rating.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/23 at 7:02 am

Anything for a rating.

I rarely would watch a full episode. But if I had the afternoon off, I’d tune in at 3:45 to catch the insult segment.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/29/23 at 3:32 pm

I rarely would watch a full episode. But if I had the afternoon off, I’d tune in at 3:45 to catch the insult segment.  ;D

I watch the show for the catfights.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...