inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Wreck of the Gordon Lightfoot

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/01/23 at 8:48 pm

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/legendary-folk-singer-songwriter-gordon-lightfoot-dead-at-age-84-1.6379492

He had canceled his 2023 tour due to health problems. His signature song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is an old Amiright favorite.

RIP

Subject: Re: The Wreck of the Gordon Lightfoot

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/01/23 at 8:58 pm

He was an iconic singer-songwriter of my youth and was the performer at my first visit to Chicagoland's storied Ravinia Festival in '85 (great show).  Sad to say goodbye  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Gordon Lightfoot

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/23 at 9:27 pm

This is super sad news.  He was an absolute legend.  I grew up with his music even though most of it was before my time

His last ever Top 40 hit here in his native Canada was a collaboration with David Foster in 1986 called Anything For Love and this is still one of my most favourite songs ever!

l12JxT-JUWE

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/01/23 at 9:30 pm

I am very sorry to hear this. Beautiful songwriter. I saw him live twice in the 1970s. I remember he carried his own guitars offstage at the end of the show rather than some roadie doing it, which I thought was cool.

Written By: nally on 05/01/23 at 9:46 pm

This is super sad news.  He was an absolute legend.  I grew up with his music even though most of it was before my time

Ditto. The man was an absolute talent. So sad to see him go. :\'(

My parents love his music too.

His last ever Top 40 hit here in his native Canada was a collaboration with David Foster in 1986 called Anything For Love and this is still one of my most favourite songs ever!

I know that one too! Mainly because my parents have a copy of the album it’s on (plus several others).

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/01/23 at 9:49 pm

This is very sad news. His music stands the test of time and I still listen to him regularly.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/23 at 3:18 am

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/legendary-folk-singer-songwriter-gordon-lightfoot-dead-at-age-84-1.6379492

He had canceled his 2023 tour due to health problems. His signature song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is an old Amiright favorite.

RIP

RIP Gordon Lightfoot.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/02/23 at 4:21 am

His classic song “If You Could Read My Mind” was the outro song for the movie Wonderland, the life story of adult film actor John C. Holmes. (Brad Pitt Val Kilmer played the role of Holmes). How cool is that?

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/23 at 5:37 am

His classic song “If You Could Read My Mind” was the outro song for the movie Wonderland, the life story of adult film actor John C. Holmes. (Brad Pitt played the role of Holmes). How cool is that?

Unless it's a different movie, Val Kilmer played Holmes and it wasn't a Holmes bio pic.  It told the story of his involvement in the 1981 "4 on the Floor" murders that took place on Wonderland Avenue in Los Angeles.  Very dark but enjoyable film

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/02/23 at 2:17 pm

Unless it's a different movie, Val Kilmer played Holmes and it wasn't a Holmes bio pic.  It told the story of his involvement in the 1981 "4 on the Floor" murders that took place on Wonderland Avenue in Los Angeles.  Very dark but enjoyable film

I stand corrected, you’re right it was Val Kilmer who played the role of Johnny Wadd. The chick who played Phoebe Buffay in “Friends” played the role of his long suffering wife, Sharon. 😎

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/03/23 at 2:21 am

9vST6hVRj2A

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/23 at 5:04 am

Gordo took a little license with the lyrics.  The verse “…when she left fully loaded for Cleveland” was poetic, but the boat was actually destined to unload its cargo of iron ore at a blast furnace on Zug Island, located in River Rouge Michigan just outside of Detroit.  Four years after the Fitz sank, I was working for that steel company. 8)

9vST6hVRj2A

Check for new replies or respond here...