inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gelukkige Verjaardag Henk! ...or Happy Birthday Henk! Have a great day!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/14 at 9:03 pm

Gelukkige Verjaardag Henk!

...or Happy Birthday Henk!

Have a great day!

Subject: Re: Gelukkige Verjaardag Henk! ...or Happy Birthday Henk! Have a great day!

Written By: gibbo on 10/24/14 at 1:27 am

Happy birthday to our favourite Dutchman.  :)

Subject: Re: Gelukkige Verjaardag Henk! ...or Happy Birthday Henk! Have a great day!

Written By: Howard on 10/24/14 at 7:53 am

Happy Birthday Henk. :)

Written By: nally on 10/24/14 at 8:23 am

Happy birthday Henk; have a great day! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/14 at 11:43 am

Hebben een fantastische verjaardag en karma.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 10/24/14 at 2:17 pm

Happy 22nd birthday!

Written By: loki 13 on 10/24/14 at 6:47 pm

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag Henk, ich hoffe, Sie hatten einen tollen Tag.
Bitte verzeihst du die deutsche, aber ich habe zu üben, und ich denke,
Sie werden verste hen*, was ich geschrieben hatte.

*= I needed to separate this word for some reason when I post the word "v e r s t e h e n" the computer
changes the letters around and it comes out like this "verstheen."

Anyway Happy Birthday Henk!

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/24/14 at 7:39 pm

Happy Birthday, have a good one!  8)

Written By: Henk on 10/25/14 at 12:50 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! :)

It didn't really feel like my birthday yesterday, though. Just another day at the office... Festivities (if you can call them that) have been postponed until next weekend.

Happy birthday to our favourite Dutchman.  :)

I wonder though...Do you know any other Dutchmen? ??? ::) ;)

Happy 22nd birthday!

Oh, I wish! ;D

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag Henk, ich hoffe, Sie hatten einen tollen Tag.
Bitte verzeihst du die deutsche, aber ich habe zu üben, und ich denke,
Sie werden verste hen*, was ich geschrieben hatte.

*= I needed to separate this word for some reason when I post the word "v e r s t e h e n" the computer
changes the letters around and it comes out like this "verstheen."

Anyway Happy Birthday Henk!

Ja, ich hab' dass verstanden, Kevin. :)
The only thing I'd like to point out: you've used both "Sie" and "du", but among friends, it is common practice to only use "du" and its declensions. There are many other languages that make the same distinction between formal and informal addressing (French and Dutch, for example). I know this must be tricky for you, because the English language doesn't have that kind of distinction (everyone is a "you").

Written By: loki 13 on 10/25/14 at 5:24 pm

Ja, ich hab' dass verstanden, Kevin. :)
The only thing I'd like to point out: you've used both "Sie" and "du", but among friends, it is common practice to only use "du" and its declensions. There are many other languages that make the same distinction between formal and informal addressing (French and Dutch, for example). I know this must be tricky for you, because the English language doesn't have that kind of distinction (everyone is a "you").

It is hard but I still should have seen that mistake.  :-[

I know that the verb endings change as well when using formal and informal pronouns. Because I am not yet proficient
and my lessons primarily deal with the formal speech I will write everything in formal version. Then I will go back and change
things to informal where need be, sometimes I miss a few.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/26/14 at 10:13 am

So sorry to have missed your birthday, my friend.  I hope that you were able to celebrate this weekend some.

What are traditional birthday celebrations like in The Netherlands?  In American we have cake and ice cream and sing "Happy Birthday".  Kids birthday parties usually involve a pinata or pinning the tail on a donkey or some such entertainment.

As I get older, birthdays are more or less "just another day" in my life.  Perhaps it's just the depression talking.  ;) ;D

Anyway, I hope you have an awesome celebration and know that your worldwide friends care alot about you.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...