inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Simpsons

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/09/12 at 8:45 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/images/TheSimpsons.jpg
The Simpsons on FOX

Currently finishing it's 23rd season this month, it shows little signs of stopping anytime soon.

Subject: Re: The Simpsons

Written By: nally on 05/09/12 at 10:26 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/images/TheSimpsons.jpg
The Simpsons on FOX

Currently finishing it's 23rd season this month, it shows little signs of stopping anytime soon.

...which I find amazing (for lack of a better word). Personally, I liked the earlier episodes better. I mean, a few of the more recent seasons' episodes have had some decent plots/storylines, but it hasn't been quite the same.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/09/12 at 12:50 pm

...which I find amazing (for lack of a better word). Personally, I liked the earlier episodes better. I mean, a few of the more recent seasons' episodes have had some decent plots/storylines, but it hasn't been quite the same.

so predictable... everyone always says that.  I say a bad episode of the Simpsons is better than a good episode of almost anything popular on the air now.  Certainly a bad episode is better than a "good" episode of "Two Broke Girls" or "2 and a Half Men"

Written By: wildcard on 05/09/12 at 4:20 pm

I loved the Simpsons when they first came out.  Now there not as good usually, but I agree that it is still better then a lot of whats on.

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/12 at 4:35 pm

Everyone always says The Simpsons is past it's prime and they should just cancel it already.  I like The Simpsons, and I hope it is on for years to come.  Atleast until it beats Gunsmoke.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/12 at 7:06 pm

The Simpsons, for them to be on the air for close to 25 years is just amazing.

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/12 at 7:20 pm

As a family named The Simpsons, they have been on the air for 25 years.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/12 at 7:25 pm

http://www.likeablequotes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Homer-doh.jpg

Written By: kellygoo72 on 05/11/12 at 4:33 pm

so predictable... everyone always says that.  I say a bad episode of the Simpsons is better than a good episode of almost anything popular on the air now.  Certainly a bad episode is better than a "good" episode of "Two Broke Girls" or "2 and a Half Men"

TOTAL agreement here

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/12 at 11:56 am

I will say that the last three or so seasons haven't been great... I struggle to find a laugh. In fact I stopped watching after Moe's Bar Rag ep...the ep before, the one where Homer becomes a political talking head, I was so annoyed with I turned it off half way and then I barely watched the bar rag ep...it seemed very similar to a previous ep ...I can't remember the ep but I thought the plot lines were nearly identical

I was just looking over this season's episodes and I don't remember seeing half of them...but I know I've seen all but the last 3 or four so that doesn't bode well.

at any rate, out of boredom I decided to see what hulu had on and I watched one of the simpsons eps I haven't seen... Beware Your Cheating Bart. This was pretty funny, one of the funniest I've seen in a long time. It seems like a flicker of light in a dark room tho. 

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/12 at 12:25 pm

alright...the one on the cruise ship is pretty funny too....but there are still more crappy eps than good eps since season 19/20

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/12 at 5:09 pm

I will say that the last three or so seasons haven't been great... I struggle to find a laugh. In fact I stopped watching after Moe's Bar Rag ep...the ep before, the one where Homer becomes a political talking head, I was so annoyed with I turned it off half way and then I barely watched the bar rag ep...it seemed very similar to a previous ep ...I can't remember the ep but I thought the plot lines were nearly identical

I loved the "gravy boat" episode.  Ted Nugent must have a good sense of humor to poke fun of himself like that.  Using the school nerds for shooting practice... it's fairly rare for them to take a whole episode to bash a political target like that.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/16/12 at 10:55 pm

so predictable... everyone always says that.  I say a bad episode of the Simpsons is better than a good episode of almost anything popular on the air now. 

In other words, the Simpsons are like pizza and sex: even when they're bad they're still pretty good.  I'll concur.

Written By: warped on 05/26/12 at 12:39 pm

In other words, the Simpsons are like pizza and sex:

I eat everything but the crust.

Written By: Zeb on 08/17/12 at 8:01 am

I agree with you there.  Reruns of The Simpsons from 1989-2001(the last full season I watched) are far funnier than anything which tries to pass for "comedy" on the major networks today. Especially the one where Mr.Burns loses his teddy bear.  That, almost twenty years later, is still joke for joke and plot line for plot line the funniest episode of the Simpsons I have ever seen.

Written By: nally on 08/17/12 at 11:17 am

I agree with you there.  Reruns of The Simpsons from 1989-2001(the last full season I watched) are far funnier than anything which tries to pass for "comedy" on the major networks today. Especially the one where Mr.Burns loses his teddy bear.  That, almost twenty years later, is still joke for joke and plot line for plot line the funniest episode of the Simpsons I have ever seen.

I totally agree. That episode, I remember, had originally aired in 1993, and it remains one of my personal favorites.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/21/12 at 10:43 pm

It's still surprisingly decent after nearly a quarter century on air.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/21/12 at 10:57 pm

Sooner or later, the well of creativity runs dry on even the best of shows. Back in 1998, NBC offered Jerry Seinfeld one of the largest contracts in television history to come back and continue doing Seinfeld, but he turned them down because he didn't want Seinfeld to stay on so long that it lost it's relevancy in pop culture and became just "another show".

I guess that's the problem that some people have with The Simpsons still being on the air today. It still has it's moments of being very funny even now, but it hasn't been culturally relevant in a long time.

The longevity really is something though, isn't it? Sometimes it astounds you when you really sit back and think about how long The Simpsons has been the air. When it started, my mom was actually younger than I am now! :o

Written By: belmont22 on 11/21/12 at 10:59 pm

The longevity really is something though, isn't it? Sometimes it astounds you when you really sit back and think about how long The Simpsons has been the air. When it started, my mom was actually younger than I am now! :o

I know!

But, it doesn't compare to some soap operas, some of which are still on the air, started in the 60s and even have a lot of the same cast they had at the start!  :o

Written By: wildcard on 11/21/12 at 11:03 pm

I watched it when it first came out and then got tired of it because it stopped being so funny.  I don't watch it anymore

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/21/12 at 11:15 pm

I know!

But, it doesn't compare to some soap operas, some of which are still on the air, started in the 60s and even have a lot of the same cast they had at the start!  :o

That's true. I think I remember reading a couple of years back (maybe 2009 or so) about the retirement of the actress from "As The World Turns" who had been on the now infamous episode that was airing when Walter Cronkite broke in to announce that JFK had been shot.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/22/15 at 11:13 am

I'm having a cow, The Simpsons are on to their 24th season?

To say, my friends thought the show would get cancelled back in 1991.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/15 at 4:05 pm

I'm having a cow, The Simpsons are on to their 24th season?

To say, my friends thought the show would get cancelled back in 1991.

I can't believe The Simpsons have been on the air for almost 25 years.  :o

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/23/15 at 12:51 am

I can't believe The Simpsons have been on the air for almost 25 years.  :o

Unfortunately, you can't relate to them today like you could in 1990. I miss first few seasons of the show, I could do without the rest.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/15 at 7:00 am

Unfortunately, you can't relate to them today like you could in 1990. I miss first few seasons of the show, I could do without the rest.

you wonder if Matt Groenig should retire and give it up by now.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/27/15 at 12:15 pm

you wonder if Matt Groenig should retire and give it up by now.

He's not, the sheep (I'm sorry, fans) aren't going to allow that to happen.

Check for new replies or respond here...