inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Doctor Who

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/22/12 at 9:41 am

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/screencrush.com/files/2012/06/Doctor-Who-s7-first-pic-Rory-Doctor-Amy.jpg

Ever since the 2005 relaunch I've been a huge fan of this show...

Subject: Re: Doctor Who

Written By: karen on 06/22/12 at 10:38 am

Was the original show popular in the US?

I've liked all three of the new doctors though David Tennant is my favourite.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2c/Tenth_Doctor.jpg/200px-Tenth_Doctor.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/12 at 4:24 pm

The original Doctor Who used to air on CTV here in Canada in the afternoons back in the 80s.  I would watch it sometimes when I'd come home for lunch from school.  One thing I always remembered about the original Doctor Who was an episode that featured Leee John from the R&B group Imagination

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/16 at 5:21 pm

The head writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, is to step down from the show, the BBC has confirmed. His last series will go out in spring 2017 following a Christmas special, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall. Moffat took over the reins on series five of the world's longest running sci-fi series in 2010. BBC One's controller, Charlotte Moore, said Moffat was an "absolute genius".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35388748

Written By: meesa on 03/19/16 at 9:26 pm

The head writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, is to step down from the show, the BBC has confirmed. His last series will go out in spring 2017 following a Christmas special, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall. Moffat took over the reins on series five of the world's longest running sci-fi series in 2010. BBC One's controller, Charlotte Moore, said Moffat was an "absolute genius".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35388748

and now watching the clock begins... I am wondering if Capaldi is going to stay on. I hope so, because he is the most like Tom Baker who is my favorite. I know there are fans that said they hated the way Moffat handled The Doctor but I liked  his work, just like I like his work on Sherlock.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/16 at 2:40 pm

The new Doctor Who companion will be revealed live on BBC One on Saturday night. The announcement will be made during half time of the FA Cup semi-final Match of the Day Live: Everton versus Manchester United at around 18:00 BST. The new companion will star alongside Peter Capaldi's Time Lord in the 10th new season of Doctor Who. They will replace Jenna Coleman, who played Clara Oswald, who left the show in 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36104565

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/16 at 6:50 am

The new Doctor Who companion will be revealed live on BBC One on Saturday night. The announcement will be made during half time of the FA Cup semi-final Match of the Day Live: Everton versus Manchester United at around 18:00 BST. The new companion will star alongside Peter Capaldi's Time Lord in the 10th new season of Doctor Who. They will replace Jenna Coleman, who played Clara Oswald, who left the show in 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36104565
Pearl Mackie has been named as the new Doctor Who companion alongside Peter Capaldi's Time Lord in the Tardis.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/16 at 3:36 pm

The role of Doctor Who was previously offered to a black actor, executive producer Steven Moffat has revealed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36442982

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/12/16 at 2:14 pm

I started watching this in September, 2014, and have seen all the seasons from the reboot since then, I'm a big fan of this show, but I hate admitting it to people I know. Everyone I know thinks it's really weird, I'm waiting on the Christmas special this year, it's not very far away.

Written By: meesa on 09/12/16 at 8:21 pm

I started watching this in September, 2014, and have seen all the seasons from the reboot since then, I'm a big fan of this show, but I hate admitting it to people I know. Everyone I know thinks it's really weird, I'm waiting on the Christmas special this year, it's not very far away.

That's only because they haven't watched it. ;D ;D If they gave it a chance they would see how intelligent and interesting the writing is. Oh yes and definitely weird-one of the best aspects to be sure!

If you like the reboot and after, go back and check out some of the older ones, especially the Tom Baker era.  :)

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/12/16 at 9:12 pm

That's only because they haven't watched it. ;D ;D If they gave it a chance they would see how intelligent and interesting the writing is. Oh yes and definitely weird-one of the best aspects to be sure!

If you like the reboot and after, go back and check out some of the older ones, especially the Tom Baker era.  :)

They have watched it. ;D I've considered watching the older ones, and will get around to it eventually. I personally find it to be weird, but I really like it anyways. ;D It's my favorite tv show that's running, and 2nd favorite tv show ever.

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/12/16 at 9:14 pm

They have watched it. ;D I've considered watching the older ones, and will get around to it eventually. I personally find it to be weird, but I really like it anyways. ;D It's my favorite tv show that's running, and 2nd favorite tv show ever.

If you watch the old ones, watch the Tom Baker (4th Doctor) episodes first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3CWXqUqPFA

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/12/16 at 9:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3CWXqUqPFA

I don't know, I usually prefer to go chronological. If I watched series one first, I'd eventually get to the Tom Baker era, you know what I mean?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/16 at 10:52 pm

Lost Doctor Who adventure to return in animated form

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37285820

A "lost" Doctor Who adventure from 1966 whose original master tapes were wiped in the 1970s is to be released in animated form, the BBC has confirmed.
The animated makeover of The Power of the Daleks is based on film clips, surviving photographs and audio recordings featuring the original cast.
The six-part story was the first full outing of Patrick Troughton's Doctor.
It will be available on 5 November at 17:50 GMT on BBC Store, 50 years to the minute after its broadcast on BBC One.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/16 at 10:53 pm

K3CWXqUqPFA
Link repaired.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/12/16 at 11:27 pm

Lost Doctor Who adventure to return in animated form

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37285820

A "lost" Doctor Who adventure from 1966 whose original master tapes were wiped in the 1970s is to be released in animated form, the BBC has confirmed.
The animated makeover of The Power of the Daleks is based on film clips, surviving photographs and audio recordings featuring the original cast.
The six-part story was the first full outing of Patrick Troughton's Doctor.
It will be available on 5 November at 17:50 GMT on BBC Store, 50 years to the minute after its broadcast on BBC One.

Huh, that's actually pretty cool.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/16 at 12:03 am

Huh, that's actually pretty cool.
Reflecting on that time and with Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, I must had watched that series, I can remember Daleks exploding.

Subject: Re: Doctor Who: Christmas Special 2016

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/16 at 6:01 pm

This year's Christmas special of Doctor Who will see the Doctor team up with a comic book superhero.
The 60 minute episode, called The Return of Doctor Mysterio, will be written by Steven Moffat and broadcast on BBC One on Christmas Day.
The Doctor, played by Peter Capaldi, will work with the superhero to save New York from a deadly alien threat.
Doctor Mysterio will be played by Justin Chatwin, who has previously appeared in Orphan Black.
The pair will be joined on their quest by an investigative journalist, played by Wolf Hall actress Charity Wakefield.
Matt Lucas, who announced his return to Doctor Who earlier this year, will also appear in the episode.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37591556

Subject: Re: Doctor Who: Christmas Special 2016

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 10/08/16 at 3:54 am

This year's Christmas special of Doctor Who will see the Doctor team up with a comic book superhero.
The 60 minute episode, called The Return of Doctor Mysterio, will be written by Steven Moffat and broadcast on BBC One on Christmas Day.
The Doctor, played by Peter Capaldi, will work with the superhero to save New York from a deadly alien threat.
Doctor Mysterio will be played by Justin Chatwin, who has previously appeared in Orphan Black.
The pair will be joined on their quest by an investigative journalist, played by Wolf Hall actress Charity Wakefield.
Matt Lucas, who announced his return to Doctor Who earlier this year, will also appear in the episode.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37591556

Yes, l'm happy it's already so close again! :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/17 at 10:36 am

Jodie Whittaker: Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to be given the role. The new Doctor's identity was revealed in a trailer broadcast at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final. The Broadchurch star succeeds Peter Capaldi, who took over the role in 2013 and leaves in the forthcoming Christmas special. Whittaker, 35, said it was "overwhelming, as a feminist" to become the next Doctor. She will make her debut on the sci-fi show when the Doctor regenerates in the Christmas special.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/17/17 at 11:15 am

The 13th doctor is a woman! This is pretty amazing actually. It shows that the new writer is willing to take a risk and not play it safe. I think this could either be spectacularly bad or spectacularly good!

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 07/25/17 at 7:00 pm

A lot of people are freaking out about the announcement in a negative way. I personally don't mind if The Doctor is a man or a woman, just be a good Doctor.

Subject: Re: Doctor Who: First look at Jodie Whittaker in character

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/17 at 7:45 am

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/FB3E/production/_98681346_jodie-whittaker-as-the-doct.jpg

The first official photo of Jodie Whittaker as she will appear in Doctor Who has been released.
The Broadchurch and Trust Me star has begun filming as the 13th Time Lord. Whittaker, the first female Doctor, takes over from Peter Capaldi and will make her debut on screen when the Doctor regenerates in the Christmas special on BBC One. When her casting was announced in July, she said it felt "overwhelming, as a feminist" to have the role. She told fans not to be "scared" by her gender.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41928500

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/17 at 10:22 am

When is the regeneration set to occur? I am a former Whovian who got turned off by how formulaic this show is, but I could be coaxed back if they decide to mix things up now that they've got this female Doctor.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/17 at 10:33 am

When is the regeneration set to occur? I am a former Whovian who got turned off by how formulaic this show is, but I could be coaxed back if they decide to mix things up now that they've got this female Doctor.
I think the next Doctor Who is due around Christmas Day, I think Karen will known?

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/14/17 at 9:44 am

Yes Peter Capaldi is regenerating on Christmas Day into Jodie Whittaker

Written By: meesa on 12/15/17 at 3:16 pm

The Christmas special this year, Twice Upon A Time will have Peter's regeneration to Jodie. I can't wait to see Peter and David (Bradley) both playing off of each other as 1 and 12 and neither wanting to regenerate.  :) Although I am said that Peter is going.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/15/17 at 3:38 pm

Wait, the special is going to show 1 dying and regenerating? I'm not sure I want a retcon...

Written By: meesa on 12/15/17 at 5:57 pm

Wait, the special is going to show 1 dying and regenerating? I'm not sure I want a retcon...

No, it is going to show Capaldi regenerate, but in this one the First Doctor makes an appearance, and he is struggling with the idea of regenerating as well, so, parallel storylines, is what I have gathered.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/16/17 at 10:08 am

Ah alright then. I want Who to change up its formula, not the sequence of events.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/26/17 at 9:25 am

Well that was, uh...

Written By: meesa on 01/02/18 at 3:03 pm

I thought the special was nice. Not mind blowing, but sweet. Gonna use a spoiler tag just in case someone hasn't had the chance to see it yet.

Peter had a good send off; and his advice for the next Doctor was perfect- :\'(.
I liked that they used the Rose/Bad Wolf music in part of the regeneration scene.
Nardole's invisible hair!  ;D
I also liked the hinting at female regeneration throughout the show with the first Doctor's patronizing ideas of females- that made me chuckle, even though Hartnell's Doctor wasn't like that.
When Peter's cover-up ring dropped from Jodi's hand, that was a nice touch.
Seeing Clara- briefly- was nice as well.
Even better was Bill. I love Pearl Mackie.
The WW1 Captain was a Lethbridge-Stewart!
So many callbacks to previous episodes,storylines and Doctors. I will have to watch it a few times to catch them all.
The biggest criticism I have is that the TARDIS had a tantrum and kicked the new Doctor out mid-flight. I know this was a callback episode, but, this has been done a couple-few times in the past, and I would have preferred they go in a different direction for Jodi.
---Unless Moffat was getting in one last jab at the fans who didn't like him in general, and more specifically, the fans that are rejecting a female Doctor

Written By: meesa on 10/07/18 at 6:47 pm

Well..watched the pilot with jodi and not disappointed.
It's just a pilot ep, and with so much new-ness it was bound to be a bit awkward/clunky but it did not retract from the show. She really smashed it.  :) Extended version will be on in a few and am watching again.

So nice to see Who back.

Written By: karen on 10/08/18 at 11:16 am

We didn't watch the Christmas episode and I'm wondering if it might have helped in understanding some of what happened in Jodi's first 'proper' episode

Subject: Ncuti Gatwa: BBC names actor as next Doctor Who star

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/22 at 6:05 am

Actor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61371123

Subject: Re: Ncuti Gatwa: BBC names actor as next Doctor Who star

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/22 at 5:26 am

Actor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61371123

Why is Jodie being replaced? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/22 at 5:53 am

She had been The Doctor since 2017, possibly the end of her contract?

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/10/22 at 10:20 am

BBC changes up Doctors like we change up presidents.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/22 at 10:21 am

The battery in the sonic screwdriver ran out.

Written By: karen on 05/10/22 at 1:39 pm

BBC changes up Doctors like we change up presidents.

I wish the actors would stay in the role for longer

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/15/22 at 3:54 pm

I wish the actors would stay in the role for longer

Yeah I don’t know why they couldn’t have just stuck with the original cast.

Written By: karen on 05/15/22 at 3:59 pm

I expect you could work it out if you thought about it

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/22 at 11:32 pm

I don't mind the change.  I laugh that the internet is losing their minds, not because the new Dr is black, but because he's not Idris Elba.  Nothing against Doctor Who, but you don't go from hit film franchises like The Marvel Cinematic Universes (Thor and its sequels), The DC Extended Universe (The Suicide Squad) and Fast & Furious (Hobbs and Shaw) to Doctor Who

I will miss Jodie.  She's cute!  I hope she shows up in some American films

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 4:26 am

Good news for Dr. Who fans!

David Tennant and Catherine Tate are to return to Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61455936

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/22 at 12:36 pm

I expect you could work it out if you thought about it

Too much work for me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/16/22 at 12:47 pm

Is this a tongue-in-cheek comment?  ???

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/16/22 at 5:28 pm

Is this a tongue-in-cheek comment?  ???

I was gonna say…most of them are probably dead already.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/17/22 at 7:03 am

I don't mind the change.  I laugh that the internet is losing their minds, not because the new Dr is black, but because he's not Idris Elba.  Nothing against Doctor Who, but you don't go from hit film franchises like The Marvel Cinematic Universes (Thor and its sequels), The DC Extended Universe (The Suicide Squad) and Fast & Furious (Hobbs and Shaw) to Doctor Who

I will miss Jodie.  She's cute!  I hope she shows up in some American films

I know Idris Elba is the very definition of a stretch, but goddamn he would have been the coolest Doctor ever.

Check for new replies or respond here...