inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Game of Thrones

Written By: philbo on 07/04/12 at 7:59 am

What, no GoT thread?

..possibly the best television to come out of America, ever.

The books are really rather awesome, too.

Subject: Re: Game of Thrones

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/12 at 11:09 am

I have been told by everyone I know (who's seen it) that I must watch the series but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Written By: Tam on 09/24/12 at 10:40 pm

Love it - although I have only seen three quarters of the first season.
Why?
Because I get caught up with True Blood and Dexter and Sons of Anarchy (which I still have to catch up on.)

The thing is, I love to read too, so it comes down to whether the book I am reading is good or not. Of course, with Dexter I try to stay on top of it... but sometimes I fail there too lol

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/12 at 1:22 am

Love it - although I have only seen three quarters of the first season.
Why?
Because I get caught up with True Blood and Dexter and Sons of Anarchy (which I still have to catch up on.)

The thing is, I love to read too, so it comes down to whether the book I am reading is good or not. Of course, with Dexter I try to stay on top of it... but sometimes I fail there too lol

You better stay on top of dexter.  I can't wait three weeks for you to watch the first ep  :P

Written By: KayKay on 07/01/13 at 2:44 am

FINALLY finished season 2 this weekend (no better way to spend it right?!)

Totally loving this show, even though I only "discovered" it a couple of months ago when my mate handed me her s1 box set and was just like "Trust me, you'll love it" - she wasn't wrong. I've since bought s1 and s2 (and now finished them) now for my epic catch up of s3!!

Who else is watching?

Kay x

Written By: Starde on 07/17/13 at 4:45 pm

I have been told by everyone I know (who's seen it) that I must watch the series but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

DO IT! So damn good. I've been watching a lot more TV lately and I gotta say, shows like GoT, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. have been impressing me more than movies. The best writing is in TV right now (more specifically on cable and premium networks).

Back to GoT, I'm still in mourning over a certain episode towards the end of this past season. :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/13 at 7:59 pm

I've been posting on FB... I'm not loving GoT as much as I expected to.

part of it is that I really dislike fantasy and period pieces.  I could give a rats ass about the politics of kings and kingdoms.

I can see why people like it- it is well written and full of twists but I am bored more often than intrigued.

I am halfway through Season 2 and it took me about 8 eps of season one just to keep all the characters straight... and now that I have the main ones  figured out many have died and new ones are introduced.

Having said all that I do like the character of Arya, jon Snow and the imp.  they are the only things holding my interest.

I would like to drop kick jodfrey over the walls of Kings Landing.  ;D

The one episode I enjoyed, ep 6 of season one, "The Golden Crown" was the only ep that kept me riveted.  Oddly enough I found out two ddays later (because I didn't read the credits that night) that Jane Espenson wrote that ep.  jane is my third favorite TV writer so I find it interesting that she is behind the only ep that didn't put me to sleep.

Yeah several eps have caused me to doze off many times...none so much as ep 3 of season 2.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/13 at 2:28 am

Okay I am all caught up...  and I'm finally hooked too.

I loved season 3!

I'm ready to talk if anyone else is!

Written By: philbo on 01/02/14 at 6:15 am

Okay I am all caught up...  and I'm finally hooked too.

I loved season 3!

I guess people round here aren't :)

But if you've caught up (with the TV series, I mean.. though reading the books is worse: you realize just how much he has still left to write. I'm wondering if they're going to aim to release the books at the same time as the TV shows for series 6 & 7), this is my (heavily-spoiler-laden from the title alone, so if you've not got to the end of season 3, don't click on it) GoT song

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 8:45 pm

I guess people round here aren't :)

But if you've caught up (with the TV series, I mean.. though reading the books is worse: you realize just how much he has still left to write. I'm wondering if they're going to aim to release the books at the same time as the TV shows for series 6 & 7), this is my (heavily-spoiler-laden from the title alone, so if you've not got to the end of season 3, don't click on it) GoT song

I'm not clicking on it...  and I'm not reading the books... I don't know if I will ever read the books. I am heavily anticipating season 4 though...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/15/15 at 8:23 pm

Why was everyone on Facebook so mad last night? ???

Written By: philbo on 06/16/15 at 5:09 am

Why was everyone on Facebook so mad last night? ???

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.  Like they did Jon Snow

Spoiler tag for very obvious spoiler reasons.. now the TV series has caught up with the books, and in one or two instances gone beyond a couple of the story arcs where the last published books are, people like me had been lulled into a false sense of security.

Half expecting that red priest to bring Snow back a la Beric; in the books his mother was seen as undead, which hasn't happened so far

People are annoyed because half of their favourite three characters were killed off.. Arya looks like she's been blinded after killing someone for her own personal reasons.. though she may end up as some kind of warg like her brother, I guess

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/15 at 9:39 am

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.  Like they did Jon Snow

Spoiler tag for very obvious spoiler reasons.. now the TV series has caught up with the books, and in one or two instances gone beyond a couple of the story arcs where the last published books are, people like me had been lulled into a false sense of security.

Half expecting that red priest to bring Snow back a la Beric; in the books his mother was seen as undead, which hasn't happened so far

People are annoyed because half of their favourite three characters were killed off.. Arya looks like she's been blinded after killing someone for her own personal reasons.. though she may end up as some kind of warg like her brother, I guess

Talk about great TV!!!!

there's is concensus about your first theory...tho I hear from a friend who is an avid fan of the books that....

The theory about Jon Snow's Death in the books is that he wargged (or whatever) into Ghost and that's how he survived the bloodletting.  (same friend says all the Stark's are warggers so you are probably right about Arya.)

Another friend's theory is that Jon had to die in order to take his rightful place as heir of the Iron Throne since he's most likely the son of Rheygar (sp) Targereyon (Sp) and Ned Stark's sister.  He can warg because he has Stark blood flowing thru him but, being a Targeryon (probably) he also has king's blood which will allow the red witch bitch to revive him... and.... more importantly... free him from the vow of the Night's Watch!

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/15 at 10:51 am

As I said in another thread on the same GoT, I am waiting for the feature film to be made.

Written By: philbo on 06/16/15 at 4:47 pm

As I said in another thread on the same GoT, I am waiting for the feature film to be made.

There's an almost unlimited number of films that could be made from bits left out of the books, or side stories referred to.  It'll get bigger than the Marvel franchise.  I hope :)

Wouldn't mind betting a prequel based on The Hedge Knight, a short story about Aegon as a boy squiring for Ser Duncan the Tall.. (the story does get referenced on the odd occasion in the TV shows)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 12:22 pm

I don't think George R.R Martin is going to have a feature film based on Game of Thrones. So, don't get hyped over it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 12:29 pm

I don't think George R.R Martin is going to have a feature film based on Game of Thrones. So, don't get hyped over it.
Unless repeats are shown on television, I will never get to see it.

Who is getting hyped over it, I have plenty of movies to watch?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 12:31 pm

Unless repeats are shown on television, I will never get to see it.

It's only shown on HBO. And they barely show any reruns of GOT.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 12:33 pm

It's only shown on HBO. And they barely show any reruns of GOT.
It is hard for me to watch HBO.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 12:41 pm

It is hard for me to watch HBO.

Well, do you have any of the DVDs?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 12:49 pm

Well, do you have any of the DVDs?
Nope.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 12:51 pm

Nope.

Then how do you know about Game of Thrones if you don't have HBO nor any of the DVDs?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 12:56 pm

Then how do you know about Game of Thrones if you don't have HBO nor any of the DVDs?
Members of my family have watched episodes and told me, seen trailers at the cinema, read and discuss about it on the Internet, seen advertising posters in the streets!

Written By: snozberries on 08/07/15 at 1:22 pm

he lives in a universe where there is this thing called the internet..... weird things happen on the internet.... people actually discuss stuff... and *gasp& other people read it...

a prime example of this anomaly is.... oh I don't know... maybe this thread...  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/07/15 at 1:26 pm

Members of my family have watched episodes and told me, seen trailers at the cinema, read and discuss about it on the Internet, seen advertising posters in the streets!

ah yes... the advertising... how could I forget the advertising... plus the interviews and reviews and all the hoopla over the last 4 yrs.  (or 18yrs if you want to go back to the original source material)

BTW yesterday was the 18th anniversary of the first book's release...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 4:00 pm

he lives in a universe where there is this thing called the internet..... weird things happen on the internet.... people actually discuss stuff... and *gasp& other people read it...

a prime example of this anomaly is.... oh I don't know... maybe this thread...  ::)

I just didn't know that he never watched any of the GOT episodes.

Written By: snozberries on 08/08/15 at 3:51 am

I just didn't know that he never watched any of the GOT episodes.

That's not what you said tho. You asked how he knew about GOT if he didn't have HBO or the DVDs

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/08/15 at 9:50 am

That's not what you said tho. You asked how he knew about GOT if he didn't have HBO or the DVDs

Fine, the Internet can do anything for him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/15 at 9:51 am

Fine, the Internet can do anything for him.
Not everything, I cannot watch the episodes (without paying).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/08/15 at 9:52 am

I meant that the Internet can let you know about anything, especially Game of Thrones.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/15 at 9:54 am

I meant that the Internet can let you know about anything, especially Game of Thrones.
True, to know of it, avoiding reading the storylines.

Written By: philbo on 08/10/15 at 7:52 am

Did you know it is the most pirated show, ever? I wouldn't be surprised if most people who watched it did so without paying.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/15 at 7:57 am

Did you know it is the most pirated show, ever? I wouldn't be surprised if most people who watched it did so without paying.
I don't want to watch pirates...  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/15 at 10:53 am

The march of Game of Thrones continues as the popular series has now entered the Guinness Book of World Records.

It has taken the record for largest TV drama simulcast after the second episode of season five of the fantasy epic was broadcast in a 173 countries simultaneously earlier this year.

That was two countries more than CSI, which took the record just five weeks earlier.

Receiving an official certificate on behalf of the show was Maisie Williams, who plays Arya Stark. She said: "I'm so pleased for Game of Thrones to be a part of Guinness World Records. I'm going to tell my step brother as he gets the book every year for Christmas. I can't wait to see the look on his face."

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/15 at 4:43 pm

Game of Thrones picked up a record-breaking 12 awards, including best drama series at this year's Emmys in Los Angeles.

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/15 at 6:09 pm

I was there and screamed for everyone of those wins!

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/21/15 at 7:11 pm

That show has too much nudity.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/21/15 at 7:45 pm

I was there and screamed for everyone of those wins!

LUCKY!!! ::)

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/15 at 10:43 pm

LUCKY!!! ::)

It was a good nite.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/15 at 4:43 am

That show has too much nudity.
Does it?

Written By: snozberries on 09/22/15 at 10:55 am

Does it?

It does have a lot of nudity. It objectified women in a horrible way but in context it makes sense.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/15 at 11:02 am

It does have a lot of nudity. It objectified women in a horrible way but in context it makes sense.
If it is suited for the storyline then it is all right... ?

Written By: snozberries on 09/22/15 at 1:12 pm

If it is suited for the storyline then it is all right... ?

Objectification of women is not a good thing and yeah some of the nudity is gratuitous. I mean they don't have to have that many scenes in a brothel but they do.

I'm not a prude tho so it doesn't bother me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/15 at 1:14 pm

Objectification of women is not a good thing and yeah some of the nudity is gratuitous. I mean they don't have to have that many scenes in a brothel but they do.

I'm not a prude tho so it doesn't bother me.
I understand.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/16 at 6:10 am

The latest trailer for the new series of Game of Thrones has racked up 30 million views in less than 24 hours, according to Entertainment Weekly. The first preview of season six of the fantasy series garnered 8 million views on YouTube and another 22 million on the show's official Facebook page.

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/16 at 1:19 pm

Im not watching the trailer. I want no spoilers!!!

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/16 at 1:43 pm

Not sure if I should sit out for this one. I don't want the books to be spoiled, but I want to be a part of the hype.

Written By: snozberries on 03/11/16 at 9:36 am

Not sure if I should sit out for this one. I don't want the books to be spoiled, but I want to be a part of the hype.

I don't think the books can be spoiled. I mean major events yes...but also I think it could enhance the books because I hear there are things that happen in the books that don't even get talked about in the show. And characters in the books that still haven't been introduced in the show

I had a real rough time
Watching season one but I started getting into mid way season 2

I don't plan on reading the books

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/16 at 9:39 am

I don't think the books can be spoiled. I mean major events yes...but also I think it could enhance the books because I hear there are things that happen in the books that don't even get talked about in the show. And characters in the books that still haven't been introduced in the show

I had a real rough time
Watching season one but I started getting into mid way season 2

I don't plan on reading the books
I have no intention of reading the books too.

Written By: 2001 on 03/11/16 at 6:15 pm

The books are really good though! I liked them more than the TV show, which is why I'm thinking about waiting it out. You guys should give it a chance, they're actually among the top rated books on Goodreads. ;)

Written By: philbo on 03/12/16 at 7:52 am

The books are really good though! I liked them more than the TV show, which is why I'm thinking about waiting it out. You guys should give it a chance, they're actually among the top rated books on Goodreads. ;)

Yes, the books are *really* good, though: I saw season one, then read all the books before season 2 came out - having seen the shows doesn't spoil the books at all.  And vice versa: it's the best fantasy series televised, and definitely up there with the best ever written. But unusually reading doesn't spoil the viewing - you have to be paying pretty close attention to notice where they diverge (maybe a little more in the last couple of seasons).

The lowest point: finishing the seventh book (end of book 5) and realizing you've got to wait until GRRM gets round to the rest...

Written By: mqg96 on 04/24/16 at 7:29 pm

If you're a person who hasn't watched the Game of Thrones series yet, then how is the best way to catch up with the series? Of course there are no HBO shows on Netflix so I need an alternative way.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 7:32 pm

If you're a person who hasn't watched the Game of Thrones series yet, then how is the best way to catch up with the series? Of course there are no HBO shows on Netflix so I need an alternative way.

Well there's HBO Now, which you don't need a TV subscription in order to sign up anyway. However, you have to pay $14.99 a month to subscribe.

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/16 at 2:00 pm

get netflix DVD subscription and have the dvds sent to you.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 12:01 am

The new episodes have been so wild, that I don't think the books are being spoilt  ;D Valar morghulis!

Written By: snozberries on 05/03/16 at 2:24 pm

The new episodes have been so wild, that I don't think the books are being spoilt  ;D Valar morghulis!

I think the last book ended with Jon Snow being killed and the new book hasn't been written yet... I think maybe they are delving into uncharted territory

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 5:20 pm

I think the last book ended with Jon Snow being killed and the new book hasn't been written yet... I think maybe they are delving into uncharted territory

Oh that's true. I more or less expected that though. I mean, Jon Snow is more or less the whole point of the show.

How he was revived unexpectedly by Mellisandre is the surprising part to me. I wonder if the book will do it that way.. And that fast.

Written By: snozberries on 05/03/16 at 8:33 pm

Oh that's true. I more or less expected that though. I mean, Jon Snow is more or less the whole point of the show.

How he was revived unexpectedly by Mellisandre is the surprising part to me. I wonder if the book will do it that way.. And that fast.

In response to your spoiler. 

Since I didn't read the books.

But I have friends who did and told me some stuff

But I didn't ask them this question yet

But i will if you don't know....

Anyway. In relation to Mellisandre...I'm the books didn't she do that thing she did to someone else so her claiming not knowing if it'll work cuz she's never done it is a bit of a breaking from the book lore.....right?

Written By: philbo on 06/21/16 at 7:33 am

As epic battle scenes go..

Written By: snozberries on 06/21/16 at 9:09 am

As epic battle scenes go..

Right?

That was a phenomenal ep!

Written By: philbo on 06/22/16 at 6:27 pm

Still showing a perfect 10.0 score on IMDB after 84k votes

I came home after going to the theatre in London, back at the house at nearly 1am, two of the philbinos up waiting for me to get back to watch it..

Written By: meesa on 06/27/16 at 7:56 pm

The last two episodes of GoT were the best that I have seen on television. I was enthralled last week, and this week several loose ends were pied tied up and a confirmation of a long held theory. Also, just when I thought I could not hate Cersei more..

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/16 at 9:45 pm

The last two episodes of GoT were the best that I have seen on television. I was enthralled last week, and this week several loose ends were pied tied up and a confirmation of a long held theory. Also, just when I thought I could not hate Cersei more..

What a season!!!

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/16 at 9:46 pm

Mmmmmm pie....

Written By: philbo on 06/28/16 at 5:09 pm

+lots

I assume the confirmation you're talking about is Jon Snow's parentage?  (for the sake of spoilers, I will say no more other than that it was a prediction I made right at the start, and one of the very few of mine that have turned out to be right so far... there's another parental prediction I've made which has yet to be confirmed, though :-) )

Written By: snozberries on 06/28/16 at 11:31 pm

+lots

I assume the confirmation you're talking about is Jon Snow's parentage?  (for the sake of spoilers, I will say no more other than that it was a prediction I made right at the start, and one of the very few of mine that have turned out to be right so far... there's another parental prediction I've made which has yet to be confirmed, though :-) )

Does it involve Tyrion? Cuz I've thought that for two seasons now.

Written By: philbo on 07/01/16 at 4:07 am

Does it involve Tyrion? Cuz I've thought that for two seasons now.

:) Oh, yes..

Written By: snozberries on 07/01/16 at 9:43 am

:) Oh, yes..

O0

Written By: meesa on 07/05/16 at 10:17 pm

+lots

Yes! And I think I know what your other parental prediction is, that would be interesting if it proves to be true!

Side note: Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow) is a musician. I tried to listen to some of his music the other day but his voice, I just can't get past Ramsay! I have heard he is a very nice person.

Written By: snozberries on 07/05/16 at 10:37 pm

Yes! And I think I know what your other parental prediction is, that would be interesting if it proves to be true!

Side note: Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow) is a musician. I tried to listen to some of his music the other day but his voice, I just can't get past Ramsay! I have heard he is a very nice person.

Yeah I'd hate to be the person dating him. I wouldn't be able to see past the character he played....but that's a testament to his brilliant acting.

Speaking of parentage.... the other day I was reminded that in that scene, where that one person we think is a dragon wrangler killed that character on the crapper....that character said "you're no son of mine". Which I think was the first indication that we are right. 

8)

Also.... Can we talk about what a badass lady Mormont is???? And that kid who plays her!!! It's her first professional role  :o

Written By: meesa on 07/05/16 at 11:08 pm

Speaking of parentage.... the other day I was reminded that in that scene, where that one person we think is a dragon wrangler killed that character on the crapper....that character said "you're no son of mine". Which I think was the first indication that we are right. 

8)

Also.... Can we talk about what a badass lady Mormont is???? And that kid who plays her!!! It's her first professional role  :o

Yes, there has been quite a bit of foreshadowing on that! How many times did he flat out disown him?

Lady Mormont has taken my GoT group by storm, she is a BOSS. There are so many memes out there LOL. I read that she is not allowed to watch GoT (good move mom and dad, this show would be difficult to explain to someone that young)

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/05/16 at 11:18 pm

get netflix DVD subscription and have the dvds sent to you.

Do you get to keep them or is it like renting them? I don't know anything about Netflix, I don't have it.

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/16 at 2:40 am

Do you get to keep them or is it like renting them? I don't know anything about Netflix, I don't have it.

It's renting them.

You pay a small fee a month and you can keep the DVDs for as long as you want but you only get 1 or so at a time....it depends on how much you are willing to spend per month.  The also offer online streaming but since HBO streams GOT I think you can only get the DVDs from Netflix.

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/16 at 2:47 am

Yes, there has been quite a bit of foreshadowing on that! How many times did he flat out disown him?

Lady Mormont has taken my GoT group by storm, she is a BOSS. There are so many memes out there LOL. I read that she is not allowed to watch GoT (good move mom and dad, this show would be difficult to explain to someone that young)

Have you seen the one with Cercei, Danearys & Jon?
Cersei "I have the mountain" (pic of Mountain)
Dany "I have dragons" (pic of Drogon)
Jon "Bitch Please!" (Pic of Lady Mormont)  ;D

I couldn't post it from my phone.

Written By: meesa on 07/07/16 at 12:02 am

HAHA Yes I have!

Written By: philbo on 07/07/16 at 8:05 am

:D

I hadn't, but have now.

Yeah I'd hate to be the person dating him. I wouldn't be able to see past the character he played....but that's a testament to his brilliant acting.

I hear Jack Gleeson's a nice chap IRL, too (with a bit of an Irish accent he managed to lose very successfully)

Something my daughter did for me for father's day while she was off at uni... (spoilered for anyone who doesn't know who the above character is)

http://www.cix.co.uk/~philbo/pix/crossbowfinal.gif

Written By: snozberries on 07/07/16 at 10:24 am

:D

I hadn't, but have now.
I hear Jack Gleeson's a nice chap IRL, too (with a bit of an Irish accent he managed to lose very successfully)

Something my daughter did for me for father's day while she was off at uni... (spoilered for anyone who doesn't know who the above character is)

that's fantastic!

Written By: philbo on 07/07/16 at 7:50 pm

that's fantastic!

:)
I thought so, too

Written By: meesa on 07/07/16 at 10:53 pm

This is hilarious!  ;D ;D

Written By: meesa on 07/07/16 at 10:55 pm

I read that production of S7 is delayed due to good weather in real life and winter is coming here in Westeros.  :\'( Which means there will most likely be a delay of premiere.

Written By: snozberries on 07/07/16 at 11:10 pm

I read that production of S7 is delayed due to good weather in real life and winter is coming here in Westeros.  :\'( Which means there will most likely be a delay of premiere.

I'm trying not to be mad about that....

I'm failing miserably.... It's not like they can't manufacture that stuff

Written By: snozberries on 07/07/16 at 11:17 pm

I'm trying not to be mad about that....

I'm failing miserably.... It's not like they can't manufacture that stuff

https://youtu.be/jqus7BEcyTI

Written By: meesa on 07/09/16 at 8:45 pm

https://youtu.be/jqus7BEcyTI

Thank you! Will watch!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/16 at 7:35 am

Oscar-winning actor Jim Broadbent will play a major part in the seventh season of epic TV fantasy Game of Thrones. Details of Broadbent's character have not been revealed - but Entertainment Weekly quoted a spokesperson as saying he would have a "significant" role. The versatile 67-year-old British actor won an Oscar in 2002 for Iris.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37242859

Written By: meesa on 09/01/16 at 9:55 pm

Oscar-winning actor Jim Broadbent will play a major part in the seventh season of epic TV fantasy Game of Thrones. Details of Broadbent's character have not been revealed - but Entertainment Weekly quoted a spokesperson as saying he would have a "significant" role. The versatile 67-year-old British actor won an Oscar in 2002 for Iris.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37242859

saw this and am super-excited. I am wondering if his part will have to do with the Citadel?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/16 at 5:25 pm

Game of Thrones has dominated this year's creative Emmy Awards with nine prizes for technical achievement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37339633

Subject: Re: Game of Thrones, breaks records at the Emmys

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 3:20 am

Game of Thrones has broken the record for the highest number of Emmy Awards won by any fictional series.
The HBO fantasy drama triumphed in three categories at Sunday's ceremony, including outstanding drama series.
The show's total number of awards now stands at 38, which means it has beaten Frasier's previous record of 37.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37378317

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/16 at 9:45 pm

Game of Thrones has broken the record for the highest number of Emmy Awards won by any fictional series.
The HBO fantasy drama triumphed in three categories at Sunday's ceremony, including outstanding drama series.
The show's total number of awards now stands at 38, which means it has beaten Frasier's previous record of 37.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37378317

It coulda been 39 if three of the actresses hadn't been competing for an award... splitting the vote giving Maggie Smith enough of a margin to squeak in.  >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/24/16 at 4:19 pm

It coulda been 39 if three of the actresses hadn't been competing for an award... splitting the vote giving Maggie Smith enough of a margin to squeak in.  >:(

Well, the show has a lot of great actors. Not to mention that it has a big-ass fanbase, so it would be clear that some of their actors would probably want an Emmy because of how fabulous they are.  :P

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/16 at 5:41 pm

Well, the show has a lot of great actors. Not to mention that it has a big-ass fanbase, so it would be clear that some of their actors would probably want an Emmy because of how fabulous they are.  :P

they need a pact... you go this year... I'll go next... then they wouldn't split the votes so dang much

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/17 at 3:37 am

Ed Sheeran to make guest appearance in Game of Thrones

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39252533/ed-sheeran-to-make-guest-appearance-in-game-of-thrones

Game of Thrones producers have confirmed Ed Sheeran will make a cameo appearance in the seventh series of the show.
Speaking at the SXSW film festival in Texas, David Benioff and Dan Weiss said they'd been trying to book him for a while.
Ed also confirmed the news as reports started to appear online by tweeting "guess the cat's out the bag".
It's not clear what role he'll have in the show.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/17 at 8:52 am

He looks like a Wildling for sure lmao

Written By: 2001 on 07/25/17 at 7:50 pm

Anyone watching Season 7? :D

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/25/17 at 7:51 pm

I am.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/25/17 at 8:40 pm

Game of Thrones is a fantastic show and extremely important in the history of shows. I'd like to write my thoughts on it in depth at some point, but there's so much to say, and so much that it's done in new ways, that it's hard to clarify and organize them all. It's one of those shows that people will be looking back to for a long time as a game changer, and it might take hindsight to get a good grasp of how it really changed storytelling in film. But it's overturned many conventions and not just in an experimental or artsy way, but in a serious way that will end up standing the test of time.

Also, it might be the one show in the world right now that can generate the attention, focus, hype, and devotion that was possible back before media became so fragmented with the rise of the internet and the introduction of a zillion channels, and what's more, the phenomenon is global. I read Game of Thrones threads with tons of articulate, dedicated followers in places India, Jordan, Malaysia, Brazil, Croatia and on and on.

I think Game of Thrones is at least the most important TV/film event in decades and maybe the biggest ever.

Written By: philbo on 07/28/17 at 2:20 pm

Game of Thrones is a fantastic show and extremely important in the history of shows. I'd like to write my thoughts on it in depth at some point, but there's so much to say, and so much that it's done in new ways, that it's hard to clarify and organize them all. It's one of those shows that people will be looking back to for a long time as a game changer, and it might take hindsight to get a good grasp of how it really changed storytelling in film. But it's overturned many conventions and not just in an experimental or artsy way, but in a serious way that will end up standing the test of time.

Also, it might be the one show in the world right now that can generate the attention, focus, hype, and devotion that was possible back before media became so fragmented with the rise of the internet and the introduction of a zillion channels, and what's more, the phenomenon is global. I read Game of Thrones threads with tons of articulate, dedicated followers in places India, Jordan, Malaysia, Brazil, Croatia and on and on.

I think Game of Thrones is at least the most important TV/film event in decades and maybe the biggest ever.

I hadn't thought of it in quite those terms, but you may well be right.

It's also kind of amusing the number of people I know who have (finally) succumbed to the buzz and started watching, got hooked and binge-watched seasons 1..6.

I feel almost envious of them, watching it all fresh & for the first time.

It's probably worth pointing out that the books are outstandingly good, too: I'm a major reader in the genre, and there are nothing quite like them.

Written By: karen on 07/31/17 at 12:04 pm

It's probably worth pointing out that the books are outstandingly good, too: I'm a major reader in the genre, and there are nothing quite like them.

For a total newbie would you recommend reading the books first or watching the series?

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/31/17 at 1:15 pm

Someone hacked the seventh season script, so if you're a fan, avoid a lot of the internet the coming couple months so as to avoid spoilers. This is going to make me wary of the internet for the coming months.

Seven hells! I really hate some of these damn hackers.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/17 at 1:18 pm

I HAVE TO get into this show ASAP! I just finished Agents of Shield on Netflix which is the best Marvel TV show ever (blows all the DC CW shows out of the water) and I'm watching Attack On Titan next. After that I promise I will get into Game of Thrones!

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/17 at 11:55 pm

Game of Thrones is the best show that has ever been created.

Written By: philbo on 08/03/17 at 9:05 am

For a total newbie would you recommend reading the books first or watching the series?

I watched the first series, read all the books (though I'd already read a couple of his prequels, "short" stories like the Hedge Knight) then had a near breakdown because he hasn't finished the books: seasons 6&7 of the TV series have gone beyond where the books currently end.

I don't think it matters a huge amount which way round you do them: they're both examples of fantastic storytelling.  Though I'm not going to re-read until he's finished the books :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/17 at 6:01 pm

I do not watch GOT.

Too much nudity.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/17 at 12:58 pm

I do not watch GOT.

Too much nudity.
I have still not watched it!

Written By: philbo on 08/07/17 at 5:32 pm

You're missing out.  As is anyone who focuses on the nudity rather than the unbelievable quality of cast, location (any GoT fan would happily agree that the sets are more important than the sex :-) ), plot, CGI.. not to mention some of the best battle scenes you will find in any kind of show or movie.

Re CGI: it's very noticeable how much the show's budget has increased, especially for Season 7: early stuff, you'd have a few seconds of dragon footage.  Now it's epic :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/17 at 6:07 pm

You're missing out.  As is anyone who focuses on the nudity rather than the unbelievable quality of cast, location (any GoT fan would happily agree that the sets are more important than the sex :-) ), plot, CGI.. not to mention some of the best battle scenes you will find in any kind of show or movie.

Re CGI: it's very noticeable how much the show's budget has increased, especially for Season 7: early stuff, you'd have a few seconds of dragon footage.  Now it's epic :D

We'll then there is also the gratuitous sex.

Sex and nudity do not make for good family entertainment...  :-X

Written By: philbo on 08/07/17 at 8:37 pm

If you're that sure you'll end up focussing on the sexy bits, don't watch it.  I've watched plenty of it with various combinations of my children, though they are all 18+ (apart from my youngest, who's the only one of the four who hasn't caught the bug). It's one of those shows that once you get into, you'll barely* notice the sex

*pun intended ;-)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/17 at 1:27 am

Game of Thrones's next episode has been pirated and shared online in the latest leak to hit the fantasy TV series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40952355

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/17 at 5:11 pm

Hyped for this episode tonight!  :D

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/27/17 at 5:32 pm

Game of Thrones is the best show that has ever been created.

That is quite subjective. The best HBO show was The Sopranos.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/17 at 11:43 am

Hyped for this episode tonight!  :D
I still have not watched an episode yet!

Written By: 2001 on 09/03/17 at 12:02 pm

I still have not watched an episode yet!

Do you plan on watching it? ???

I'd recommend at least giving the books a try. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/17 at 12:13 pm

Do you plan on watching it? ???

I'd recommend at least giving the books a try. ;)
May be the books first, thanks for the advice.s

Written By: philbo on 09/06/17 at 5:20 am

May be the books first, thanks for the advice.s

The books are brilliant.  Only problem is they stop a couple of volumes from the end, and at current rates of writing GRRM is going to need to live until he's as old as Maester Aemon in order to finish it :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 7:10 am

The books are brilliant.  Only problem is they stop a couple of volumes from the end, and at current rates of writing GRRM is going to need to live until he's as old as Maester Aemon in order to finish it :)

In other words, there are plenty of books.

btw, how many books?

Written By: philbo on 09/06/17 at 12:00 pm

There's currently 7, which are books 1 to 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire: the last two were too long to be in single volumes, so were split.

A "short" story (which I have in an anthology as "The Hedge Knight") has been released on its own as "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" (I think it is), which is not so much a prequel as a story set in the same world a few decades before GoT begins, and is referenced on occasion later on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/18 at 11:06 am

I saw about 5 minutes of GoT over the holiday season, and my only thought was this is not the first episode.

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/18 at 8:45 pm

I saw about 5 minutes of GoT over the holiday season, and my only thought was this is not the first episode.

Yep, you have to watch it from the beginning.

Written By: meesa on 01/21/18 at 10:02 pm

Absolutely watch from the beginning. It is worth watching, but if watched out of order you would definitely not get the right experience from it.
I am always curious to see people's opinions regarding certain characters from first season to the latest one. Especially Jaime Lannister-  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/21/18 at 10:07 pm

Absolutely watch from the beginning. It is worth watching, but if watched out of order you would definitely not get the right experience from it.
I am always curious to see people's opinions regarding certain characters from first season to the latest one. Especially Jaime Lannister-  ;D

I still hate Jamie Lannister and The Hound.  :P

Written By: philbo on 02/08/18 at 5:01 pm

I still hate Jamie Lannister and The Hound.  :P

Joffrey
Cersei
Walder Frey
Meryn Trant
Tywin
Mellisandre
Beric Dondarrion
Thoros of Myr
Ilyn Payne
The Mountain

;)

Subject: Re: Game of Thrones: Prequel series announced

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/18 at 7:00 am

Game of Thrones could be getting a prequel series, HBO has announced, one of five potential spinoffs of the series. Book author George RR Martin created the new series alongside British screenwriter Jane Goldman. HBO has ordered a pilot episode for the show, set thousands of years before the battles over the Iron Throne. Executives say any spinoff will not be broadcast until after Game of Thrones' final season in 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44423040

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/18 at 10:35 am

Game of Thrones could be getting a prequel series, HBO has announced, one of five potential spinoffs of the series. Book author George RR Martin created the new series alongside British screenwriter Jane Goldman. HBO has ordered a pilot episode for the show, set thousands of years before the battles over the Iron Throne. Executives say any spinoff will not be broadcast until after Game of Thrones' final season in 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44423040

Let's hope it does not have all the nudity and sexual innuendo of the original series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/18 at 10:49 am

Let's hope it does not have all the nudity and sexual innuendo of the original series.
...have I been missing out on something here?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/18 at 11:49 am

...have I been missing out on something here?

Apparently so.

Written By: 2001 on 06/24/18 at 12:47 am

But the gore is what makes it Game of Thrones!

Anyway I'm excited for this. I don't want this series to end  ;D If it's anything like the books this could be really good.

Written By: meesa on 07/16/18 at 11:21 pm

Re-watching the series this month and have decided that GoT is my favorite series ever. Certainly in the top 3 all time for me because the writing, acting, everything is such high quality. This scene in particular floored me; Ramin Djawadi is absolutely brilliant anyway, and he delivered with the music for this one. Putting it in spoiler because as I recall there are a couple of peeps here that haven't watched this far yet. BTW- shooting has wrapped and filming is finished for Season 8!

_KbvDvc-WFE

Written By: 2001 on 07/18/18 at 1:22 pm

Re-watching the series this month and have decided that GoT is my favorite series ever. Certainly in the top 3 all time for me because the writing, acting, everything is such high quality. This scene in particular floored me; Ramin Djawadi is absolutely brilliant anyway, and he delivered with the music for this one. Putting it in spoiler because as I recall there are a couple of peeps here that haven't watched this far yet. BTW- shooting has wrapped and filming is finished for Season 8!

_KbvDvc-WFE

The scene was amazing. There are so many unforgettable scenes!

Written By: mqg96 on 07/19/18 at 9:04 am

BTW if anyone knows, what's the app or the place to catch up on Game of Throne reruns?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/19/18 at 1:19 pm

BTW if anyone knows, what's the app or the place to catch up on Game of Throne reruns?

HBO website (there may be an HBO app too)

Written By: 2001 on 07/19/18 at 4:12 pm

HBO website (there may be an HBO app too)

There's that... erm... other app too, from 2001 ;D

Subject: Game of Thrones: Producers 'paranoid about leaks'

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/20/18 at 9:22 am

Game of Thrones star Iain Glen has described how security measures put in place to prevent story details leaking to the public caused problems for some actors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46624485

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 7:12 am

When this ends, it's going to be truly the end of an era in television history. With it, the TV age of the 2010s will be truly over.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/19 at 2:06 pm

After seeing several reports and books, what is the correct title?

"Game of Thrones" or "A Game of Thrones"?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/23/19 at 3:37 pm

When this ends, it's going to be truly the end of an era in television history. With it, the TV age of the 2010s will be truly over.

Until "Game of Thrones - The Next Generation" airs.  ;)

Subject: Game of Thrones: 3.4m Brits watched series eight premiere

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/19 at 3:07 pm

A UK audience of around 2.3 million watched the premiere of the final series of Game of Thrones on Monday. That's the total number of viewers who either watched it live when it was first broadcast at 0200 BST, or viewed a recording later on Monday. The unusual start time was a result of the episode being broadcast at the same time as its US premiere. Sky Atlantic's repeat of the episode on Monday night attracted a further 698,000 viewers. That was the first British scheduled broadcast of the programme in prime time and the audience has seen a 12% rise from the previously record breaking finale episode of series seven in 2017.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47946593

Written By: meesa on 05/18/19 at 9:12 pm

Have been disappointed in Season 8 so far; I am hoping tomorrow nights ep saves it somewhat. If GRRM would only finish the books...but I don't think he will. The story got too big for him, I think.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Game of Thrones: 3.4m Brits watched series eight premiere

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/18/19 at 9:24 pm

A UK audience of around 2.3 million watched the premiere of the final series of Game of Thrones on Monday. That's the total number of viewers who either watched it live when it was first broadcast at 0200 BST, or viewed a recording later on Monday. The unusual start time was a result of the episode being broadcast at the same time as its US premiere. Sky Atlantic's repeat of the episode on Monday night attracted a further 698,000 viewers. That was the first British scheduled broadcast of the programme in prime time and the audience has seen a 12% rise from the previously record breaking finale episode of series seven in 2017.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47946593

How was the nudity? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/19 at 12:11 am

How was the nudity? ???
I have no idea, I still have not watch it, and will not make a start.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/21/19 at 1:59 pm

My professor has been a big GOT fan throughout the series (LOL), and he’s even talking about how divided everyone’s on with season 8.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/19 at 2:18 pm

I heard that some fans were disappointed with the ending, and demand it to be rewritten and re-shot!

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/19 at 2:48 pm

I heard that some fans were disappointed with the ending, and demand it to be rewritten and re-shot!

"Some" is an understatement, and it wasn't just the ending. It was a terrible season through and through.  8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/19 at 2:49 pm

"Some" is an understatement, and it wasn't just the ending. It was a terrible season through and through.  8-P
I believe it is all down to the writer not finishing the last book as yet?

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/19 at 2:50 pm

I believe it is all down to the writer not finishing the last book as yet?

Yep, without a book to work with, the show producers were left to their own devices and dropped the ball. Very poor character development, and character motivations weren't clear or were very unrealistic. It felt very rushed to me, like they wanted to tie the knot quickly and get it over with, so they can work on the Game of Thrones Prequel (where they do have book material to work with).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/19 at 2:55 pm

Yep, without a book to work with, the show producers were left to their own devices and dropped the ball. Very poor character development, and character motivations weren't clear or were very unrealistic. It felt very rushed to me, like they wanted to tie the knot quickly and get it over with, so they can work on the Game of Thrones Prequel (where they do have book material to work with).
Slightly off topic, but you can see a similarity. It was the same with the James Bond movie"Quantum of Solace", originally it was a short story by the Bond creator Ian Fleming, so the producers of the movie beefed it up to make into a featured length film, it was so beefed up, it was terrible, and made it one of the worse Bond films.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/19 at 6:58 am

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/58580542_10156677457751028_8642427815435698176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_eui2=AeHtiIZXB1Gr-DYjD-ygE5xTze3s-XaY-KtUti0xujxhYXJnGgADZNzd59JetKj85rVge-99e3iQLbDEuroaMFeV3pVpq2SLkOwXRk2gpAnESQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=df87fe8e58763de8f8382587276db449&oe=5D547809

Written By: 2001 on 05/23/19 at 6:16 pm

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/58580542_10156677457751028_8642427815435698176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_eui2=AeHtiIZXB1Gr-DYjD-ygE5xTze3s-XaY-KtUti0xujxhYXJnGgADZNzd59JetKj85rVge-99e3iQLbDEuroaMFeV3pVpq2SLkOwXRk2gpAnESQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=df87fe8e58763de8f8382587276db449&oe=5D547809

Sounds like pollution.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/26/19 at 2:59 pm

The show ended in just about the worst way possible. It would have been better even if the NK won and humanity was devastated, because even then there would have been a tragic higher lesson to it, that failure of ambitious people to put aside their narrow squabbling led to ruin. But instead every hero character got their personality destroyed, the guy who was built up for eight years as the hero stabs the heroin, his love, in her heart, the Starks with whom we sympathized for years turn out to be manipulative snakes like Sansa, or a robot like Arya, or either a nonentity or secret manipulator like Bran, Tyrion betrays his friend and gets him executed for treason only to commit treason later the same day, then pleads with Jon to kill Dany in a way that seems like he's trying to save his own life. . . . I could go on and on.

Even an ending where the bad guys win would have been better because at least the good ones would have given their all, but this is much worse. It's the destruction of the concept of good characters, or even just mainly good, since they're all mostly gray but tend either toward light or darkness. The two built up heroes who seemed like the clear solution to the snakepit of Westeros, Jon and Dany, aren't even essential for destroying the enemy of humankind, so their whole plot lines were like a fake out.

It's like if you had a super hero movie and Wonder Woman is trying to save the world, someone else who just underwent some training saved it, so she was unessential to the story, then she suddenly goes mad and her lover, the other good guy, stabs her in the heart and kills her, and he gets banished while the manipulators who set it all up prosper in the end, and you weren't even sure they were manipulators until the final outcome, so even though you had sympathy for them before, now you don't.

It's nihilistic and empty. I could go on and on. And I've never been a major fanboy of anything, though of course there have been shows and games I've loved and gotten into, but none has ever left me so cold as this. I even commented on this site in 2017 that Game of Thrones is something new in storytelling, edgy and twisty but with a point, so not just a postmodern tearing down of storytelling axioms. But in the end, I was wrong. It was new alright, but nihilistic in the worst way. The big north and east story lines turned out to be for nothing, like it was a giant prank, even though they were always set up to be the looming potential that sweeps into Westeros and changes things. And this is done so that you can't even be left with any concept of a hero, not even a gray hero.

It's been a week since the finale and it's still irritating me because I thought this story would be deeper philosophically, like pointing a way forward in literature and art and culture in general toward a merging of what's best in postmodern and best in traditional storytelling, and I fear how it ends it just a commentary on where we are culturally. No higher progression from a fusion of the two, just utter cynicism.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/27/19 at 6:45 pm

And just to be clear, I would not dissuade anyone from watching Game of Thrones. It is a brilliant series and in my opinion still the best of all time, mainly for what it did in seasons 1-6 and especially 1-4 when it reached its peak. The books aren't done, so maybe the ending can be fixed, and evne if GRRM intends to Götterdämmerung all the characters, not in the sense of killing them but of killing them as sympathetic or characters you root for, I hope he can pull it off in a grimly beautiful way, where at least it's sublime in the sense that nuclear explosion is sublime (Kant's "terrible sublime"). In that case it might not be a work of art you often want to revisit, but it would be one for the ages.

So I'm not entirely down on the show and remember the fantastic stuff from earlier on, and could even accept this nihilistic ending, perhaps, if better executed. It would be a God-tier work of storytelling virtuosity if pulled off well by GRRM. Anyway, I don't want to dissuade anyone who might see my posts from enjoying this amazing show for its excellent aspects, which are many.

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/19 at 7:17 pm

And just to be clear, I would not dissuade anyone from watching Game of Thrones. It is a brilliant series and in my opinion still the best of all time, mainly for what it did in seasons 1-6 and especially 1-4 when it reached its peak. The books aren't done, so maybe the ending can be fixed, and evne if GRRM intends to Götterdämmerung all the characters, not in the sense of killing them but of killing them as sympathetic or characters you root for, I hope he can pull it off in a grimly beautiful way, where at least it's sublime in the sense that nuclear explosion is sublime (Kant's "terrible sublime"). In that case it might not be a work of art you often want to revisit, but it would be one for the ages.

So I'm not entirely down on the show and remember the fantastic stuff from earlier on, and could even accept this nihilistic ending, perhaps, if better executed. It would be a God-tier work of storytelling virtuosity if pulled off well by GRRM. Anyway, I don't want to dissuade anyone who might see my posts from enjoying this amazing show for its excellent aspects, which are many.

I hope they re-do the TV show after the books come out, as difficult as it may be because the child actors might be middle aged at the rate GRRM is going.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/27/19 at 7:46 pm

I hope they re-do the TV show after the books come out, as difficult as it may be because the child actors might be middle aged at the rate GRRM is going.

I also hope for a remake of the show when (if) GRRM finishes the books. But that would be a truly bittersweet conclusion in the sense that the cast of this rendition would be too old to reprise their characters, and HBO struck gold - hell, found the Cullinan diamond - with this cast. So many were fantastic and you start to adore the actors as much as the characters. But a remake with GRRM's ending, as he would execute it, would still be worth it. They'd just have to pay respects to the cast of this version of Game of Thrones and all the behind the scenes talents, like during the buildup to the remake and during it, then be sure to strike gold again.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/27/19 at 9:19 pm

It's not over till The Walking Dead is dead...and the Grim Reaper is hovering above it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/27/19 at 9:28 pm

The show ended in just about the worst way possible. It would have been better even if the NK won and humanity was devastated, because even then there would have been a tragic higher lesson to it, that failure of ambitious people to put aside their narrow squabbling led to ruin. But instead every hero character got their personality destroyed, the guy who was built up for eight years as the hero stabs the heroin, his love, in her heart, the Starks with whom we sympathized for years turn out to be manipulative snakes like Sansa, or a robot like Arya, or either a nonentity or secret manipulator like Bran, Tyrion betrays his friend and gets him executed for treason only to commit treason later the same day, then pleads with Jon to kill Dany in a way that seems like he's trying to save his own life. . . . I could go on and on.

Even an ending where the bad guys win would have been better because at least the good ones would have given their all, but this is much worse. It's the destruction of the concept of good characters, or even just mainly good, since they're all mostly gray but tend either toward light or darkness. The two built up heroes who seemed like the clear solution to the snakepit of Westeros, Jon and Dany, aren't even essential for destroying the enemy of humankind, so their whole plot lines were like a fake out.

It's like if you had a super hero movie and Wonder Woman is trying to save the world, someone else who just underwent some training saved it, so she was unessential to the story, then she suddenly goes mad and her lover, the other good guy, stabs her in the heart and kills her, and he gets banished while the manipulators who set it all up prosper in the end, and you weren't even sure they were manipulators until the final outcome, so even though you had sympathy for them before, now you don't.

It's nihilistic and empty. I could go on and on. And I've never been a major fanboy of anything, though of course there have been shows and games I've loved and gotten into, but none has ever left me so cold as this. I even commented on this site in 2017 that Game of Thrones is something new in storytelling, edgy and twisty but with a point, so not just a postmodern tearing down of storytelling axioms. But in the end, I was wrong. It was new alright, but nihilistic in the worst way. The big north and east story lines turned out to be for nothing, like it was a giant prank, even though they were always set up to be the looming potential that sweeps into Westeros and changes things. And this is done so that you can't even be left with any concept of a hero, not even a gray hero.

It's been a week since the finale and it's still irritating me because I thought this story would be deeper philosophically, like pointing a way forward in literature and art and culture in general toward a merging of what's best in postmodern and best in traditional storytelling, and I fear how it ends it just a commentary on where we are culturally. No higher progression from a fusion of the two, just utter cynicism.

I believe season 8 is on the lower end of the seasonal ranking but boy...I think the hate towards it is sooo immature and bandwagony.

People just don't seem to understand what the story is about. It is based on Robert Frost's poem  Fire and Ice. In the poem, fire and ice represent the two forces that'll eventually destroy the world. The Night King represents ice and Danaerys represents fire. She was never a superhero. The show and George tricked you.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/27/19 at 9:56 pm

I believe season 8 is on the lower end of the seasonal ranking but boy...I think the hate towards it is sooo immature and bandwagony.

People just don't seem to understand what the story is about. It is based on Robert Frost's poem  Fire and Ice. In the poem, fire and ice represent the two forces that'll eventually destroy the world. The Night King represents ice and Danaerys represents fire. She was never a superhero. The show and George tricked you.

lol Immature and bandwagony? No, it's deserved. And it's less hate than disappointment. The turn for Daenerys is not at all well foreshadowed or developed in the series, and yes, I'm aware of the statements she's made earlier in the show, but actions speak louder than words and her actions never were to kill innocent women and children. The buildup wasn't even close to being there. She was presented mainly as a hero character.

Also, the idea that she's the big villain along with the NK would make it, as I said, a nihilistic postmodern fakeout, where it's intended to seem that Jon Snow and Daenerys, two characters outside all the political squabbles over the Iron Throne are going to come in and be essential to the real struggle that the fighting between the high lords ignores, but then neither turns out to be necessary to defeat that existential threat and both are torn down, one as villain and one as tarnished hero.

In the books, even if it all goes this way, it might be possible to execute all this better; I frankly don't know if this ending would go over well even with much better writing, because it's still like quite a troll, following thousands of pages to the end (I think it's almost 5000 pages already, with several thousand more pages to go) just to reveal that the overall framing of the story was unnecessary, because all it took was Arya to defeat the dead and he was not really the greatest threat.

Also, even the characters like Tyrion and Sansa, who end up alright and are perhaps supposed to be heroic if both ice and fire are evil, end up as hypocrites, along with Jon, really, who keeps declaring loyalty until he shanks Daenerys.

I have come to suspect that the thrust of the story could be to end in a nihilistic tearing down of the very concept of a "good guy" character, heroic in the classical sense like Jon or Daenerys or heroic in a more prosaic fashion like Tyrion. It could be grimly beautiful if done right, or maybe not. Time will tell, assuming GRRM finishes the books and the story really is a deconstruction of traditional literature.

And lastly, there was weak writing, too much time spent on battles as opposed to dialog and character interaction, and untied loose ends in the series.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/27/19 at 10:20 pm

lol Immature and bandwagony? No, it's deserved. And it's less hate than disappointment. The turn for Daenerys is not at all well foreshadowed or developed in the series, and yes, I'm aware of the statements she's made earlier in the show, but actions speak louder than words and her actions never were to kill innocent women and children. The buildup wasn't even close to being there. She was presented mainly as a hero character.

Also, the idea that she's the big villain along with the NK would make it, as I said, a nihilistic postmodern fakeout, where it's intended to seem that Jon Snow and Daenerys, two characters outside all the political squabbles over the Iron Throne are going to come in and be essential to the real struggle that the fighting between the high lords ignores, but then neither turns out to be necessary to defeat that existential threat and both are torn down, one as villain and one as tarnished hero.

In the books, even if it all goes this way, it might be possible to execute all this better; I frankly don't know if this ending would go over well even with much better writing, because it's still like quite a troll, following thousands of pages to the end (I think it's almost 5000 pages already, with several thousand more pages to go) just to reveal that the overall framing of the story was unnecessary, because all it took was Arya to defeat the dead and he was not really the greatest threat.

Also, even the characters like Tyrion and Sansa, who end up alright and are perhaps supposed to be heroic if both ice and fire are evil, end up as hypocrites, along with Jon, really, who keeps declaring loyalty until he shanks Daenerys.

I have come to suspect that the thrust of the story could be to end in a nihilistic tearing down of the very concept of a "good guy" character, heroic in the classical sense like Jon or Daenerys or heroic in a more prosaic fashion like Tyrion. It could be grimly beautiful if done right, or maybe not. Time will tell, assuming GRRM finishes the books and the story really is a deconstruction of traditional literature.

And lastly, there was weak writing, too much time spent on battles as opposed to dialog and character interaction, and untied loose ends in the series.

I actually don't disagree that much with you enough to waste time arguing. I just think the passion behind the hate for season 8 is overboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...