inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Revolution - NBC

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/12 at 3:13 pm

From JJ Abrams the man who brought you Alias, Lost, & Cloverfield

I really expected more from JJ but so far I'm not terribly impressed.

The synopsis: the entire world, inexplicably, loses power.... not just electricty, all mechanical things stop functioning. Cars won't go, planes can't fly, and people lose their damn minds.

As is to be expected in a post apocalyptic world people adopt a kill or be killed mentality, they kill mostly for food.  Flashforward 15 yrs and the earth is still devastated.  People have banded together and built small farming communities, and the United States is merely a shadow of it's former self.  There is a militia group running amok trying to control the people.

Apparently there are a few people who knew the global power failure was going to happen. they have some sort of thumb drive that holds power  ::)    and we don't know who they are, what they are and why they haven't restored the power (if they can)  what we do know is that Charlie, think Katniss from the Hunger Games, has a father who knew the about the event and who possess one of the drives.  He is killed and her brother is kidnapped which sends her on the hunt for an uncle she never met. 

He is not only former militia, he was best friends with the man who runs the militia - they were marines before the blackout.  The head of the militia seems to think Charlie's dad or uncle know how to restore power and, after 15 yrs, has finally decided this is the time to extract information from them.  he's also trying to build a massive army complete with helicopters so that he can take over the rest of the world.

there was a woman, who tried to help the brother when he escaped...she too has one of those drives, she used it to power up a computer and chat/IM some unseen person at the other end of the computer. She's killed by who knows who (we didn't see him or I don't remember who it was).

Before he was murdered Charlie's father gave his drive to a community member who used to work/own google.... he didn't know what it was but he found out after he and a cohort found the ladies house and all her electronic devices and managed see a CD player & iPhone power on....  they are confused....

Oh and Charlie has a mother who was presumed dead but is being held captive by the head of the militia.

confused? Me too..... it's not very cohesive. Mostly I'm annoyed that it's taken 15yrs for all the stars to align and take place seems like this should've come around some time ago.

in addition to the convoluted story line there's poor set design. I was telling someone on facebook that it feels like a cable show (think Sliders).  It just feels like created a world meant to look like a post apocalyptic universe rather than actually creating one that looks like it is... does that make sense?  It's like a set dresser said put the burned out car here and a few weeds there (rather than feeling like things would've naturally fell that way.) I wish I could articulate this better....

at any rate I just expect more from anything JJ puts his name on. 

Why do I still watch? Because I hope that with the pick up of the back 6 eps they will find money to improve the production values and I want to know where this story intends to go....

will I miss it if it gets canceled? Not really.  It's not the worst thing I've ever seen on TV...it's just kind of pointless

Subject: Re: Revolution - NBC

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/26/12 at 7:54 am

There are moments of brilliant dramatic moments and action sequences marred by trite acting and dopey script maneuvering. It is something to watch on a Monday night, but it sure isn't on a level of LOST.

As a Chicagoan, I loved the pilot, but it bugged me that they showed State Street flooded under in one scene but later showed the Willis Tower (a 5 minute walk away from the real world State Street) on dry land!

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/12 at 11:12 am

There are moments of brilliant dramatic moments and action sequences marred by trite acting and dopey script maneuvering. It is something to watch on a Monday night, but it sure isn't on a level of LOST.

As a Chicagoan, I loved the pilot, but it bugged me that they showed State Street flooded under in one scene but later showed the Willis Tower (a 5 minute walk away from the real world State Street) on dry land!

I have yet to see these brilliant moments you speak of but I do agree about the dopey acting.  ;D

I'm still having a real hard time with the whole 'it's taken 15 years for us to get where we are today' seriously most of the conversations and this whole power struggle (pun not intended  ;D ) thing seems like it should've happened in the first five years or so. 

I just wanna know why the 12 ppl walking around with the resolution to the power outage split up instead of fixing it and I wanna know why it started to begin with.

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/12 at 2:11 pm

Hmmm in the last ep Nora was in town and got stabbed while Miles and Charlie were on the train trying to stop the bomb. Miles and Charlie jumped off train and now they are with google guy and wounded Nora....how'd they all meet up if they just now stole that carriage.

I'm so confused.

And re previous ep.... The mom has been w/ Monroe for what 6, 8 yrs??? Why'd it take this long to break her and get her to spill the secret??

I'd like this show so much better if it was set 5yrs after the blackout instead of 15. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/12 at 4:36 pm

Ya know.  For being a pretty big country. And the fact that the only way to travel is on foot, by boat or on horseback. They seem to keep bumping into a lot of people they know.  Guess it is a small world

And I guess like walking dead is a world where there were no zombies before, well, there were actually zombies....ie no zombie movies, no zombie lore etc.....I guess revolution is a world where there wasn't solar energy or gas run generators?  Cuz I'm thinking there should've been some electrical sources besides those stupid necklaces.

Check for new replies or respond here...