inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Storage Locker Auction Shows

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/13 at 8:21 pm

So this evening I am watching Storage Wars, with the whole gang including MILF Brandy Passante.  :-*

These people score all sorts of big money on these lockers.  Same thing with the folks on Storage Wars Texas, including the awesome Mary Padian.  :-*

But here's what bothers me...  If these storage lockers are the gold mines that the TV shows make them out to be, WHY DO THE STORAGE LOCKER COMPANIES AUCTION THEM OFF? ???  Seems to me the locker company could simply take all that stuff and sell it off, and make more money than they are auctioning to these people.

Subject: Re: Storage Locker Auction Shows

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/13 at 8:34 pm

So this evening I am watching Storage Wars, with the whole gang including MILF Brandy Passante.  :-*

These people score all sorts of big money on these lockers.  Same thing with the folks on Storage Wars Texas, including the awesome Mary Padian.  :-*

But here's what bothers me...  If these storage lockers are the gold mines that the TV shows make them out to be, WHY DO THE STORAGE LOCKER COMPANIES AUCTION THEM OFF? ???  Seems to me the locker company could simply take all that stuff and sell it off, and make more money than they are auctioning to these people.

If it works the way I think it does I don't think the company can keep the stuff in the lockers.

Where I work we get lots of great list and found items that are never claimed. We cannot (as employees) take any if the list and found property and we can't buy it if it gets auctioned off.  As a dept we can use the stuff for departmental purposes but cannot use it for personal use.

I think maybe they use the same regulations for the storage facilities. Otherwise you'd just claim you didn't get that item or the locker was never paid for.

I went to one storage locker auction. I got hosed on my buy but I had fun.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/22/13 at 8:47 pm

First of all you have to realize, Storage Wars is a fake show.  Fake, fake, fake, fake, fake.  ALways the same auctioneer, always the same people at the auction, always the same people that win the lockers.  No matter how crappy it is, it is always the participants on the show that win them.

And in case you have not heard, there is a legal battle between David Hester and the others, because he came forward and admitted that it was all staged.

Personally, I do not care, because I view it as entertainment.  To me it is as real as those "Repo Man" shows, all of which are fake and staged as well.

On a side note, the storage companies are required by law to auction off the contents to the general public.  I have been to a great many auctions, and there is a lot of stuff that is not discussed in the show.

For example, and paperwork must be turned back over to the storage company, to be returned to the owner.  Wills, deeds, auto titles, legal paperwork, the person who buys the locker can't keep things like this, or other personal items like photographs, funeral urns, etc.

Also depending on the location, and firearms are generally turned over to the police for a certain period of time so that they can be checked to see if they have been stollen, or used in a crime.  One of the Storage Locker shows has the guys always finding guns, Storage Wars never has them finding firearms.

They can be a good way to make money, if you are willing to do the work to then sell the items.  I knew a few guys in LA that bought them and sold them at yard sales every weekend.  Some of them made some pretty good money that way.

Go ahead and check them out, they can be fun.  The Legal Notices section of the classified ads in the newspaper is where you normally find them, as well as by simply asking the storage companies when their auctions are.  But as the show says, is Cash Only, 24 hours to clear the locker or you have to pay storage, all trash taken out, and caveat emptor.

Oh, and if the contents are something like a car or other vehicle, then there is the issue of getting a clear title, which can be a nightmare.

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/13 at 10:27 pm

They other part of the show is that they always say the stuff is worth X amount of dollars but they never actually show the people making that much money on the stuff.  Hello could buy a shyt load of stuff for 1800 and say it was worth 3700 but that don't make it so.  :D

Written By: Henk on 01/23/13 at 5:29 am

Two reasons why I stopped watching:

And in case you have not heard, there is a legal battle between David Hester and the others, because he came forward and admitted that it was all staged.

Truth be told, I always thought of David Hester as a bad loser. I suppose he was in on it just for the sake of controversy.

They other part of the show is that they always say the stuff is worth X amount of dollars but they never actually show the people making that much money on the stuff.  Hello could buy a shyt load of stuff for 1800 and say it was worth 3700 but that don't make it so.  :D

Exactly.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/13 at 6:56 am

First of all you have to realize, Storage Wars is a fake show.  Fake, fake, fake, fake, fake.  ALways the same auctioneer, always the same people at the auction, always the same people that win the lockers.  No matter how crappy it is, it is always the participants on the show that win them.

They don't show the ones that other people win-but they do win. As for the same auctioneer, we go to auctions all the time and it is the same auctioneer-the same people, etc. Dan Whateverhisfacesnameis owns an "auction house" and the people who own the storage complex hires him to sell off the lockers.

EXACTLY!!!!  I can't tell you how many times we would put something up on eBay and it wouldn't sell so we came down on our price. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Two reasons why I stopped watching:

Truth be told, I always thought of David Hester as a bad loser. I suppose he was in on it just for the sake of controversy.

Exactly.

Bad loser? I have a few other choice words for Dave Hester.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Henk on 01/23/13 at 7:56 am

Cat

I was being polite. ;)

Written By: Mushroom on 01/23/13 at 9:40 am

They don't show the ones that other people win-but they do win. As for the same auctioneer, we go to auctions all the time and it is the same auctioneer-the same people, etc. Dan Whateverhisfacesnameis owns an "auction house" and the people who own the storage complex hires him to sell off the lockers.

I would buy that, except I can count also.

They would have the "Pre-Auction Interviews" with people like Jarrod and Darrel, and they would say "There are X number of units up for grabs today", and sure enough, every one is bought by the cast.  I have been paying attention, and things are rigged.  Also they buy units for much higher prices then I have ever seen units going for (other then known "star units" or something obvious visible.

Most of the cast though owns their own retail businsess, so are really buying stock for their stores.  And I understand that, I did the same thing when I went to them (not my store, but my boss or a friend's store).  I also bought a few in the San Jose era in the day that were full of computer stuff.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/03/why-nobody-really-cares-if-storage-wars-is-fake/

The recent trend in "Reality Shows" is actually "Unreality Shows".  Storage Wars, Shipping Wars, Auction Hunters, Lizard Lick Towing, All Worked Up, Operation Repo, they are all fake to one degree or another.  Operation Repo is probably the worst and most obvious, but the others are obviously staged as well.

When I watched 2 episodes of Lizard Lick and saw a "client" trash the office and attack one of the repo guys and they did not even call the cops, I knew it was fake.  Operation Repo is worse, since I have also seen the exact same repo done twice, once in English and once in Spanish.

Storage Wars is entertaining, it is just not all it appears to be.

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/13 at 12:12 pm

that's what I was thinking....

EXACTLY!!!!  I can't tell you how many times we would put something up on eBay and it wouldn't sell so we came down on our price. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Cat

YUP!!!  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/13 at 6:09 pm

I bet the real life auctions don't usually have the hot chicks like Brandy or Mary.  :-*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/13 at 8:52 pm

I bet the real life auctions don't usually have the hot chicks like Brandy or Mary.  :-*

Ok, I can understand you thinking Brandy is hot, but Mary is just so... :P I like Jenny better than Mary.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/13 at 11:03 am

Ok, I can understand you thinking Brandy is hot, but Mary is just so... :P I like Jenny better than Mary.

Mary is smokin' hot. She has that je ne sais quoi. Her Facebook page is chock full of dudes who are crushing on her.

Jenny indeed is a hottie. If I lived in the Great State of Texas I'd invite both of them to my house parties.  :P

Plus... I am pretty sure that Mary is Armenian, which kicks her hotness up another notch.  :-*

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/31/13 at 8:41 pm

Check out this video from Storage Wars Texas.

http://on.aol.com/video/-storage-wars-texas---moe-gets-a-spray-tan-517656794

I think Mary might have the dreaded pseudobulbar affect (PBA).  ;D

http://blurbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mary-storage-wars-texas-3.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/13 at 8:12 pm

I see Storage Wars as fictional entertainment and nothing more.  Is Storage Wars fake?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-w0AslvD0lcE/UM6XFlz8ISI/AAAAAAAAAQk/iLAt1u6ioAU/s640/dave+hester+yup.jpg

Does that matter?  Not really.  I watch it with the knowledge it is fake, and I enjoy it thusly.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/13 at 9:51 pm

apparently Mark Balelo of Storage Wars committed suicide today

Multiple sources close to Balelo tell us he was found dead in his car ... which was parked and running in the garage at his auction house in Simi Valley, CA.

According to our sources, Balelo had been arrested for a drug-related offense on Saturday.
Balelo appeared on a handful of "Storage Wars" episodes over the past few seasons.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/11/storage-wars-star-mark-balelo-commits-suicide/

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/12/13 at 6:03 am

apparently Mark Balelo of Storage Wars committed suicide today

Multiple sources close to Balelo tell us he was found dead in his car ... which was parked and running in the garage at his auction house in Simi Valley, CA.

According to our sources, Balelo had been arrested for a drug-related offense on Saturday.
Balelo appeared on a handful of "Storage Wars" episodes over the past few seasons.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/11/storage-wars-star-mark-balelo-commits-suicide/

Wow, "Rico Suave" was a cool character on Storage Wars.  He was always flashing his cash and bling and driving hot cars.

I remember in one episode he got hold of an "early serial number" Macintosh computer, might have been a Lisa model.  He figured it was worth something like $11,000.  Turns out when he got it appraised, it was worth like $10 bucks.  ;D

I wonder if Storage Wars (the classic version) is gonna survive the loss of Dave Hester and now Rico Suave?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/13 at 12:28 pm

Wow, "Rico Suave" was a cool character on Storage Wars.  He was always flashing his cash and bling and driving hot cars.

I remember in one episode he got hold of an "early serial number" Macintosh computer, might have been a Lisa model.  He figured it was worth something like $11,000.  Turns out when he got it appraised, it was worth like $10 bucks.  ;D

I wonder if Storage Wars (the classic version) is gonna survive the loss of Dave Hester and now Rico Suave?  ???

What happened to yuuuupppp?!?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/13 at 12:35 pm

What happened to yuuuupppp?!?

He was fired and is trying to cause a lot of sh!t.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/storage-wars-fake-lawsuit_n_2279176.html

Cat

Written By: Red Ant on 02/22/13 at 7:17 am

All of these "wars" shows, Storage Wars, Baggage wars, House Wars, Auction Wars are about as real as Star Wars. Having worked at a storage facility and seen 2 auctions, mushroom is correct, they have to be listed in the papers for like  two weeks in advance here in VA, tho few contents are illegal for people to keep (registered weapons, meth labs, vehicles can be a problem). If a vehicle is auctioned and it has a lien on it, either you pay the lien or the lienholder gets the vehicle. and since SW premiered, there are like 4x a many people as there used to be, last time 40 people showed up for 6 units, of which only 2 were sold due to last minute payments by the owners. one was a half-high 5x5, and one was a 5 x 10. The 5x10 went for 600$ despite looking like it had nothing but crap in it.

By the way, using storage lockers is a waste of money, 95% of people keep them so long it would have been better to build a shed on their property or sell it even at a loss by the time you figure storage costs. We had one client with 3 units, two 10x20 climate controlled and one 10x30, she had 5 at one point, and has had them since 1996. She has paid over 100k to store her crap.

and even with storage-bought insurance, if for some reason your stuff gets fked up, you are probably screwed - there are so many "outs" for them it's not funny.

and even if Dave Hester is an actor, I'd like to punch him in his fat fking mouth.

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 02/22/13 at 10:16 am

HOLY CRAP!!! ANT IS BACK!!!!  :o

Welcome!  :)

Written By: Mushroom on 07/13/13 at 1:00 pm

Wow, a topic returns from the dead.

Seems that David Hester lost his first round in court, and has been ordered to pay A&D damages:

Hester lost the first round in court and now a Los Angeles judge has ordered him to cover $122,692 of the defendant’s $181,457 legal expenses, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

In March, A&E won a partial victory when L.A. Superior Court judge Michael Johnson threw out Hester’s claim of unfair business practices and dismissed his wrongful termination accusation for not being specific enough, reports THR.

A&E fought Hester’s claim that the reality show made him look less adept than fellow bidders through “interference and manipulation of the outcomes of the auctions shown” with an anti-SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) motion.

The judge took the cable network’s side, explaining that “Storage Wars” is expressive speech and protected by the First Amendment.

It’s not over between Hester, a professional buyer of abandoned storage lockers, and A&E. The five-claim suit also includes claims of breach of contract and good faith and he has the chance to collect more evidence and re-file his wrongful termination claim.

http://www.extratv.com/2013/07/13/storage-wars-lawsuit-rigging-david-hester-must-pay-a-and-e-legal-fees/

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/13/13 at 2:40 pm

Seems that David Hester lost his first round in court, and has been ordered to pay A&D damages:
http://www.extratv.com/2013/07/13/storage-wars-lawsuit-rigging-david-hester-must-pay-a-and-e-legal-fees/

$122,000.

As team Tank Top would say, "That's the wow factor!"  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/13 at 12:01 pm

Good! Dave Hester is such an asshole!

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/13 at 7:04 pm

I'm watching the original "Storage Wars" (California) edition and they have Mark Balelo ("Rico Suave") on.

This dude was cool, brought a latin vibe to the show.  So sad that he's not around for more episodes.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/13 at 5:59 pm

I'm watching the original "Storage Wars" (California) edition and they have Mark Balelo ("Rico Suave") on.

This dude was cool, brought a latin vibe to the show.  So sad that he's not around for more episodes.  :(

Was it the one where he found what he thought was one of the first Nintendo consoles? lol

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/13 at 7:11 pm

Was it the one where he found what he thought was one of the first Nintendo consoles? lol

I think that one was when he thought he had the 100th Apple Mac that was built.  Turns out it was a high serial number and they offered him like 10 bucks.  ;D

They have a new auctioneer on the show occasionally... Johan Graham.  She is quite the hottie and I'd let her auction my goods any day.  :P

http://www.aetv.com/storage-wars/pictures/the-new-players/11-johan-and-earl-2.jpg

And she's not annoying like that Laura Dotson who has been on there since the beginning (she's the wife of the auctioneer who is always oohing and aweing over these crappy lockers)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/06/13 at 5:58 pm

Storage Wars Texas started a new season this week.

Unfortunately, Moe is no longer on the show, nor is Victor Reznanski.  :(

Mary Padian  :-* and Jennie Grumbles formed a partnership for a couple of episodes, but then they split up and are on their own again.  Hopefully Moe will come back for a few episodes.

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/13 at 3:51 pm

Jennie Grumbles, oh yeah!

http://sportsmasher.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/JG4.png

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/14 at 7:08 pm

Big changes are happening on Storage Wars.

First off, Dave Hester (the guy who goes "Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!") is back.

And they brought over Mary Padian  :-* from the "Storage Wars Texas" franchise and now she's on the California version.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAzNDEzNjkyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjgwMjMxMTE@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/14 at 11:24 am

Big changes are happening on Storage Wars.

First off, Dave Hester (the guy who goes "Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!") is back.

And they brought over Mary Padian  :-* from the "Storage Wars Texas" franchise and now she's on the California version.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAzNDEzNjkyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjgwMjMxMTE@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I noticed that. I am surprised that they brought Dave back considering he tried to sue the show.

I can't stand Rene & his bimbo wife Casey.

What I want to know, what happened to Barry? I must admit that watching Barry drove me CRAZY!!! He always pays WAY too much. People tell him that he should drop out but he can't. He reminds me of a friend of ours who also drives me crazy.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/14 at 2:40 pm

I'm OK with Casey.  ;)

The one on that show who annoys me to no end is the auctioneer's wife. I swear, they could roll open the door to a locker full of dog turds and she would be ooh-ing and ahh-ing over it.  ::)

??? I wonder if Storage Wars Texas has been cancelled? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/14 at 3:35 pm

I'm OK with Casey.  ;)

The one on that show who annoys me to no end is the auctioneer's wife. I swear, they could roll open the door to a locker full of dog turds and she would be ooh-ing and ahh-ing over it.  ::)

??? I wonder if Storage Wars Texas has been cancelled? ???

I agree with you about Laura. She drives me crazy, too. "Don't forget to pay the lady."  ::)

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/04/16 at 8:00 pm

Storage Wars (the original) starts its ninth season tomorrow (April 5th) with all new episodes.  8)

Can't wait to see what the devious Dave Hester ( the Yuuuuuuuup! guy ) and the wacky Mary Padian will be up to next.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/16 at 11:00 am

Storage Wars (the original) starts its ninth season tomorrow (April 5th) with all new episodes.  8)

Can't wait to see what the devious Dave Hester ( the Yuuuuuuuup! guy ) and the wacky Mary Padian will be up to next.  :D

I can't stand either one of them.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...