inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Derek - Ricky Gervais Netflix Series

Written By: danootaandme on 09/19/13 at 5:59 am

Derek,  a Netflix original by Ricky Gervais is brilliant.  Laugh and cry all at the same time.    It is about his character Derek, who has autism but doesn't really know or understand it, who works in nursing home.  It is wonderful and his characterization is perfect.  There are some who complained, saying that he was making fun of people with "delays", I say no, he is humanizing this one person.  I watched all the episodes in one sitting and can't wait for the next. 

Subject: Re: Derek - Ricky Gervais Netflix Series

Written By: karen on 09/29/13 at 2:52 pm

Glad to read this positive review of the show.  I actually didn't watch it when it was shown in the UK because I was worried that I would find it squirm making if he was making fun of people.  That type of humour makes me cringe

Subject: Re: Derek - Ricky Gervais Netflix Series

Written By: danootaandme on 09/30/13 at 9:27 am

Glad to read this positive review of the show.  I actually didn't watch it when it was shown in the UK because I was worried that I would find it squirm making if he was making fun of people.  That type of humour makes me cringe

I would advise everyone to watch it.  It is funny and heartbreaking at the same time.  It is the life of people who have someone they love who is developmentally delayed, and the life of people who have loved ones in nursing homes, and the people who care for them, and spot on.

Check for new replies or respond here...