inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone think American Idol used to be better?

Written By: Visor765 on 08/29/14 at 11:56 am

I would say the show has run it's course. It's time for it to end. For regular followers (past or present), what would you say was the best season?

Subject: Re: Does anyone think American Idol used to be better?

Written By: Howard on 08/29/14 at 12:57 pm

Visor, I used to watch it during the beginning and first couple of seasons and I was hooked on the show. But then I completely lost interest in it and I don't watch it that much anymore. Maybe I'll just take a peek once in a while but that's about it.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/14 at 2:13 pm

Yes, after 2007 it sucked.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/14 at 5:53 pm

The first season was the best.

The season that turned me off to the whole thing was the year Fantasia won.  I mean, all she did was come on stage and start blubbering, and people called in and voted like mad.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/08/14 at 6:54 pm

I was a HUUUUGE fan starting with Season 5 but my interest in the show has waned with recent seasons. I still get into it though and will be sad when the show is finally cancelled. I could see it getting cancelled after the next season or two and then having a revival, maybe on a different network, 5-10 years from now after people have had enough time to miss it. It wouldn't be as successful as the original series but could last a few seasons.

I think Season 5 was definitely the peak of Idol-mania, and I'm embittered to this day that America let one of the worst and most obnoxious contestants win that phenomenal season. But just look at how many people from that season made a career out of it: Daughtry, Kellie Pickler, Katharine McPhee, etc. I think everyone in that year's top 10 got a record deal.

This past season I would honestly say was somewhat underrated and actually probably had one of the best Final 4s of the whole series, even though the rest of the contestants who didn't make it that far sucked. The season before that was horrendous though. The worst was probably Season 9.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/30/14 at 2:38 pm

Definitely used to be better, I used to watch it all the time pre-2006 seasons.
Tried watching a season from a few years ago, it lacked

Written By: Howard on 09/30/14 at 2:51 pm

I used to watch it from 2002-2005.

Written By: Sita0 on 10/22/14 at 11:02 pm

I used to watch it from 2000-2005.

Impressive, especially considering it started in 2002!

Written By: Howard on 10/23/14 at 3:25 pm

Impressive, especially considering it started in 2002!

I meant it used to be interesting after 2002, then after a few years I lost interest in it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/15 at 10:52 am

To me, American Idol is just the same stuff over and over again with different singers and talented people. I'm surprised people still watch it 13 years after it premiered on Fox.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/15 at 3:04 pm

To me, American Idol is just the same stuff over and over again with different singers and talented people. I'm surprised people still watch it 13 years after it premiered on Fox.

It used to be good when it first started then it declined after that.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/24/15 at 4:06 pm

It started it's downward spiral after the original three judges left.  First Paula, then Simon, and then Randy.  I hope the rumors are true that Paula, Simon, and Randy are returning to judge this last season before they wrap up.  I stopped watching after Adam Lambert advanced to the finals in season 10. :P All Adam does is shrieks.  It doesn't take much talent to do that. :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/24/15 at 5:07 pm

It started it's downward spiral after the original three judges left.  First Paula, then Simon, and then Randy.  I hope the rumors are true that Paula, Simon, and Randy are returning to judge this last season before they wrap up.  I stopped watching after Adam Lambert advanced to the finals in season 10. :P All Adam does is shrieks.  It doesn't take much talent to do that. :P

I lost interest when "Fantasia" won it.  All she did was get up on stage and start blubbering every week.  To me that was the end of the American Idol brand.

Written By: Butterball on 07/24/15 at 10:58 pm

Never watched a single episode. I'm from the old school. I'm not going to vote for someone to become rich and famous. Let them go out and earn it like artists used to do. Today's artist's suck...no one knows how to play an instrument anymore. Just this auto tune B.S.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/25/15 at 6:58 am

So who's left?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/25/15 at 8:21 pm

So who's left?

Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, and someone else who's name escapes me right now.  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/26/15 at 1:37 pm

Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, and someone else who's name escapes me right now.  :P

Paula Abdul?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/26/15 at 10:33 pm

Paula Abdul?

No.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/15 at 1:51 pm

http://citymama.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c933a53ef01156eaf7335970c-800wi
Taylor Hicks

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/27/15 at 11:48 pm

http://citymama.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c933a53ef01156eaf7335970c-800wi
Taylor Hicks

No.  It's Harry Connick Jr.

Check for new replies or respond here...