inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The X Factor

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/14 at 9:13 am

X Factor's return saw it dominate Saturday night's television, with 43% of the viewing public tuning into its launch episode on ITV.

An average 9.3 million people watched the opening episode, which saw the return of Cheryl Fernandez-Versini and Simon Cowell to the judging panel.

This was up slightly on the 9.2 million who watched last year's launch episode.

Former Spice Girl Mel B made her debut as a judge, having filled the same role on the Australian version.

At its peak, 9.8 million were watching as the hopeful singers tried, and often failed, to impress the judges.

The second most watched programme of the night was Doctor Who on BBC One, which had an average of 5.2 million viewers. This was down more than two million on last week's episode, which was Peter Capaldi's full debut in the title role.

Simon Cowell returned to chair the X Factor judges, taking over from Gary Barlow, having launched the show back in 2004. He quit being in front of the camera in the UK in 2010 to spearhead X Factor USA, which ran for three seasons until it was axed this year.

The return of BBC One's Strictly Come Dancing on Saturday will see the two Saturday night big hitters go up against each other after several years of avoiding such a clash.

Strictly will go out from 20:00-21:15, while X Factor airs from 20:00-21:05.

The BBC said the overlap was unavoidable because it had scheduled Strictly to avoid clashing with an extra edition of Coronation Street.

Cowell criticised the BBC's decision, saying it would only hurt the viewers.

He said: "They say this isn't a ratings battle, it is, that's why they did it. They didn't have to put it on at the same time as us, they did and it means that people then have to make the choice where before I think it was more of a gentlemen's type agreement but it just shows as far as I'm concerned, this is personally speaking, the producers of the show for what they are.

"They don't want this show to do well, they don't want people to watch it, and our job is to do the best job we can so people prefer X Factor to them."

Subject: Re: X Factor dominates Saturday night TV on its return

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/15 at 12:55 am

I wish Tulisa would return.  As you can tell, I am kind of a big fan lol

I did see one bit for the current series where she appeared (in a very nice bikini) at the X-Factor house with Louis Walsh

Subject: Re: The X Factor

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/15 at 8:49 am

Louis Walsh is coming back to The X Factor

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/15 at 12:08 pm

The wait for the X Factor is almost over.

For those who are counting down the days, ITV have now confirmed when the 12th series will make its debut.

So what's the date to put in your diaries? Saturday 29 August.

The first episode will kick off with a 90-minute instalment at 8pm, before returning the night after at the same time for a second helping.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/15 at 2:26 pm

So, I guess people are just into Fox's music shows nowadays. What a boring year for TV, anyways.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/15 at 1:57 pm

Simon Cowell has revealed his feelings about the new series of X Factor at today's launch.

The 12th series of the ITV talent show kicks off on Saturday and there has been lots of talk about the new revamped show.

Speaking at the London premiere, the X Factor boss has revealed that he is nervous.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/x-factor-simon-cowell-nervous-6326023?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/15 at 1:58 pm

So, I guess people are just into Fox's music shows nowadays. What a boring year for TV, anyways.
The best of the television programs cannot be on all year round or they will dry out. The season set for The X Factor is late August to Christmas.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 5:05 am

Forget the actual X Factor - the most exciting news to come out of the press launch of the talent show last night was the appearance of Simon Cowell's facial hair. He debuted what some are calling a "scruffy beard" on the red carpet - and look how happy it's made him!

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/704/cpsprodpb/5C59/production/_85214632_simoncowell.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/15 at 11:34 am

The viewing figures were down for the first broadcast last Saturday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/15 at 9:33 am

The X Factor has ditched plans to broadcast the judges' houses live.

Bosses wanted the auditions, which are normally pre-recorded at luxury locations abroad, to be shown in real-time this year.

But for "logistical and technical reasons" that's not going to happen.

Instead, the judges' houses will be filmed beforehand but contestants won't hear who's through straight away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34268261/x-factor-cancels-live-judges-houses-round

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 11:46 am

Louisa Johnson was announced as the winner on 13 December 2015, making Ora the winning mentor.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 1:47 pm

Louisa Johnson has recorded the lowest chart entry for an X Factor winner's first single, making her debut in this week's UK singles chart at number nine. Every other winner of the ITV talent search, bar two, has hit the top spot in their single's first week on sale. Johnson's single Forever Young is at a comparative disadvantage, however, as only four days of the chart week count towards her song's chart position.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/18/15 at 1:55 pm

I remember when the X Factor USA aired here. The only good season was the first one in 2011.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 1:59 pm

I remember when the X Factor USA aired here. The only good season was the first one in 2011.
For the whole of the series the viewing figures were down and the future here in the UK does look uncertain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/16 at 3:49 pm

Louisa Johnson has recorded the lowest chart entry for an X Factor winner's first single, making her debut in this week's UK singles chart at number nine. Every other winner of the ITV talent search, bar two, has hit the top spot in their single's first week on sale. Johnson's single Forever Young is at a comparative disadvantage, however, as only four days of the chart week count towards her song's chart position.
It looks to be getting bad for her, her single has been threes in the UK Charts, entered at #9, second week at #12, third week (this week) at #61.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/16 at 12:06 pm

Former X Factor winner Joe McElderry has said X Factor should be put out to pasture for a bit, to return it to its musical roots.

He's hot on the heels of former host Dermot O'Leary, who said something similar about a week ago.

McElderry, who won X Factor in 2009, told Digital Spy:"I'm still a huge fan of the show, it was where everything started for me.

"I think maybe give it a bit of a breather, and take it back to just being about the singing. I think if they do that, they can't do wrong."

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 6:14 am

Reggie N Bollie, who came second in last year's X Factor to winner Louisa Johnson, have reason to celebrate this week, having just signed a record deal with Simon Cowell's Syco Music label.

The upbeat double act - who go by the names Reggie Zippy and Bollie Babeface - were mentored by Cheryl Fernandez-Versini on the ITV show and will soon be seen on the X Factor arena tour.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/16 at 5:55 am

Nick Grimshaw has announced he won't be returning as a judge on The X Factor.

He confirmed the news on his Radio 1 Breakfast show this morning, saying he had quit the ITV show and had not been fired.

"It's a great show and I loved it," he said. "But it's definitely a once in a lifetime-style thing," he said.

Louis Tomlinson from One Direction and former X Factor judge Louis Walsh are reportedly being lined up as potential replacements.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/16 at 5:02 am

Olly Murs and Caroline Flack have both left The X Factor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35628350/olly-murs-and-caroline-flack-are-leaving-the-x-factor-as-the-itv-shows-co-hosts

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 4:32 am

The Sun is reporting that Dermot O'Leary will return to front this year's series of The X Factor.

The news follows the confirmation that Olly Murs and Caroline Flack are leaving the show after just one season.

The Sun says O'Leary hasn't signed a contract. According to "an insider", though, talks are under way and things are looking good.

Presenter arrangements have yet to be confirmed. Indeed, former contestant Rylan jokingly advised ITV's viewers to "put a tenner on" him being the next host earlier this week.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 7:37 am

Louis Walsh returns to X Factor judging panel in £800k deal with Simon Cowell

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/louis-walsh-returns-x-factor-7460963?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/16 at 5:51 pm

Former X Factor winner Joe McElderry has said X Factor should be put out to pasture for a bit, to return it to its musical roots.

He's hot on the heels of former host Dermot O'Leary, who said something similar about a week ago.

McElderry, who won X Factor in 2009, told Digital Spy:"I'm still a huge fan of the show, it was where everything started for me.

"I think maybe give it a bit of a breather, and take it back to just being about the singing. I think if they do that, they can't do wrong."

He's just upset because most of the singers on series after his, went on to become more successful than him, and most of those (such as 1D, Little Mix and Ella Henderson) were not even winners.

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/16 at 5:52 pm

He's just upset because most of the singers on series after his, went on to become more successful than him, and most of those (such as 1D, Little Mix and Ella Henderson) were not even winners.

Heck, Even Olly Murs is a bigger star, and he was runner up to Joe

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/16 at 2:32 am

Dermot O'Leary has said he is "really looking forward" to returning to The X Factor as its presenter - just a year after he left the ITV talent show. He said he was "very flattered to be asked back" and was "currently dusting off my dancing shoes". The programme's boss Simon Cowell said: "Dermot's back, hooray! And so is his dancing! Welcome home, Dermot." O'Leary left X Factor after "eight wonderful years" and was replaced by Olly Murs and Caroline Flack.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/16 at 4:07 am

He looks like an X Factor judge, he sounds like an X Factor judge, and now it seems - if reports are to be believed - that Louis Walsh is to become an X Factor judge once again.

BBC Radio 1's Nick Grimshaw announced last month that he was leaving the show after one series.

And now The Sun is reporting that Walsh is being lined up to take his place after being sacked from the ITV programme last year.

He's said to have flown to LA for talks with Simon Cowell.

A source from the show told The Sun: "He’s doing all he can to sign him for the next series. Louis is up for it.

"Simon wants an older person back after admitting last year’s series was too youthful, which might have made more people go to Strictly."

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/16 at 5:15 am

Rita Ora has confirmed that she's leaving The X Factor. The singer, who joined the show last year, tweeted: "I had a ball on The X Factor last year and will miss the team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36254783/rita-ora-confirms-shes-leaving-the-x-factor

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/16 at 7:52 am

The new line-up for The X Factor has been announced. Sharon Osbourne, Louis Walsh and Nicole Scherzinger are back on the show and join Simon Cowell on this year's judging panel. The judges' auditions will begin on Friday 10 June at the home of the Premier League champions, Leicester City's King Power Stadium. Dermot O'Leary is back as host, replacing Caroline Flack and Olly Murs - who have both left the show.

Check for new replies or respond here...