inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Walking Dead

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/14 at 9:01 pm

The fifth series opener of US drama The Walking Dead has been watched by 17.3m people, breaking cable viewing records.

It marks the biggest cable audience for a non-sports programme in the US, according to television viewing figures tracking company Nielsen.

The post-apocalyptic horror, which stars British actor Andrew Lincoln, held the previous record of 16.1m for its fourth season debut last year.

The end of the series also set a new benchmark for a finale with 15.7m.

Sunday's return to the air also triumphed in the valuable 18-49 age range with 11 million viewers. Its nearest scripted rival was popular comedy The Big Bang Theory, which pulled in 6.9 million people in that key demographic.

The serial, which is shown on AMC in the US, is screened on Fox TV in the UK.

Variety reported that the show also reached record levels for the number of people obtaining the show illegally, with piracy tracking firm Excipio logging 1.27 million downloads in the first 24 hours after transmission.

But the level of piracy for TV series Game of Thrones pushes The Walking Dead into second place, with its fourth series premiere registering 1.86 million illicit downloads.

It added that Fox has rushed the show to some 125 markets around the world in a bid to thwart piracy.

The hit show tracks the fortunes of sheriff Rick Grimes - played by Andrew Lincoln - as he attempts to survive flesh-eating zombies.

It has also featured fellow British actor David Morrissey as The Governor, who wears a trademark eye-patch.

The latest episode "ripped up the TV rulebook", according to a review in The Guardian.

It was called a "humdinger of an opening episode", constituting a "mini-action movie".

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29611037

Subject: Re: Walking Dead breaks US cable TV record

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/23/16 at 4:30 pm

I never got into this show that. From what I heard, it's a bunch of senseless violence and gore. I'll probably won't see it since so many characters have died, I can't keep track.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/23/16 at 4:44 pm

Must've been the new Walking Dead fans who wanted the newest seasons after watching it on Netflix.

Written By: meesa on 05/23/16 at 5:01 pm

I never got into this show that. From what I heard, it's a bunch of senseless violence and gore. I'll probably won't see it since so many characters have died, I can't keep track.

I thought I wouldn't like it..for the same reasons. I was wrong. it is not about the zombies; that is just the setting. I find it an interesting story about humanity. But if movie gore turns your stomach, then not it is probably not your thing.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/23/16 at 6:49 pm

I thought I wouldn't like it..for the same reasons. I was wrong. it is not about the zombies; that is just the setting. I find it an interesting story about humanity. But if movie gore turns your stomach, then not it is probably not your thing.

Yep, meesa is right! I felt the same way too and I missed out on 5 1/2 years of the show's prime because of thinking it was one of those typical/lame zombie shows again. Thankfully I randomly got hooked into the show on Netflix and then went to the recorded "current season" episodes on the DVR so I could finally be caught up with the show, and that's how I know what the Talking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead (even tho I haven't watched it yet), and the purpose for all these Walking Dead games and merchandise in our pop culture. The Walking Dead is really about man trying to survive and you get really deep into the characters' personalities, character development, and emotions. While the zombies are still the main reason for the apocalypse and the outbreak, after awhile you'll feel like the zombies have become a major distraction of the show.

Subject: Re: Walking Dead

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/16 at 11:35 pm

The Walking Dead has been renewed for another series, before the start of the seventh season next week.
The zombie drama, made by US TV network AMC, will be followed by The Talking Dead - a show which discusses storylines after the final credits.
The final scene of the sixth series showed new baddie Negan, played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan, killing one of the main cast with his barbwire-covered baseball bat which he calls Lucille.
The show is broadcast on Fox in the UK.

Check for new replies or respond here...